Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-03-2006, 10:21 AM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,928 Times in 4,524 Posts
Default Re: OVER RATED *clap clap clap clap clap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
heres some intangibles: peyton actually has big game experience and the colts pretty much handled the patriots (with brady, bilicheck, vinatieri and the best big game clutch defense in the league).

oh be real, the Patriots of Nov 7th werent exactly intact, cdertainly not the defense.
besides, it was regular season, not the big time.
ah yes another excuse for not winning a game your fanbase said it could never lose. did you not have brady, belichick, vinatieri and the best "clutch" defense in the league? and the huge foxboro homefield advantage? maybe you should be real. , because the patriots of today isnt exactly intact either, definitely not the defense.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #22
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Hey Tony,

I think you should have engaged in a little research before making assertions about a "3 or 4 game winning streak"

The Patriots have OWNED the Colts franchise for over 20 YEARS - in fact ever since they became the Indianapolis Colts.

Our series record stretching back to 1984 is 31-10 - they used to be in the AFC East before the NFL gave them a nice expansion division to find their feet in.

You are welcome to redefine the meaning of dominant but the 20-3 and 24-14 recent post-season victories would have beaten the most ambitious spread bets.

Regards

NM
were the patriots around 20 years ago? lol. really no one pays attention to them before tom brady and the superbowls so i was pretty much counting them and their streaks like an expansion team post 2000. just like i really didnt count any of the steelers domination over the browns pre 1999. the fanbase of the patriots is vastly different today than it was before they started winning superbowls and that was really the fanbase i was addressing. i do realize their are die hards out there who have supported their team all along through thick and thin like you. but the winning streaks and dominance over the colts wasnt even really a topic until these teams met in the playoffs several years ago. you notice how its always refered to belichicks or bradys winning streak and dominance over MANNING, and not the colts.

its funny how the media and nfl fanbase seperates the teams from the players. or one era from another. for example it used to be farve who had never lost a game below 40 degrees, not the packers. now we are hearing the same about brady and his dominance in the cold. it kind of takes away from what the team may have accomplished prior. after all brady didnt kick that ball through the snow (twice), in fact he was a micro second from handing the game away. just an interesting little side note and tangent.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #23
Motley Nate
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 735

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
the broncos are to the colts what the colts WERE to the patriots.

i am amazed that patfans of all people cannot recognize this.
I wouldn't bet the farm on Jake Plummer at this point in time. He's due for a typical Plummer game, which will cost them in the playoffs.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #24
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Nate
I wouldn't bet the farm on Jake Plummer at this point in time. He's due for a typical Plummer game, which will cost them in the playoffs.
i agree 100% if the broncos are smart they will want nothing to do with the colts. there defense is much stronger than the last 2 times they faced and champ bailey cant cover everyone on offense.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #25
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I think the NFL would like to see the "Trillion dollar Colts" win the Super Bowl. It sets bad precedent when a team overpays for it's superstar talent and then fails to win the big game. Am I saying Paul Tagliabue is gonna be on the phone to officials telling them to overturn calls against the Colts on the field? No. But I do see the Colts continuing to get away with holding on every down, and I bet the miked crowd noise continues throughout the playoffs...it'll be tough to beat the Colts this year.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #26
Grey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I think the NFL would like to see the "Trillion dollar Colts" win the Super Bowl. It sets bad precedent when a team overpays for it's superstar talent and then fails to win the big game. Am I saying Paul Tagliabue is gonna be on the phone to officials telling them to overturn calls against the Colts on the field? No. But I do see the Colts continuing to get away with holding on every down, and I bet the miked crowd noise continues throughout the playoffs...it'll be tough to beat the Colts this year.
Great point. I think if the allegations about amped up crowd noise were against the Lions, for example, there would have actually been an investigation instead of a simple letter to every team a couple of weeks later.

(For the record: yes, the artificial stadium noise angers me, but no, I don't claim that's why we lost.)

Here we go.

Grey
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #27
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

What annoys me the most is the incesant talk in the media about this Colts team being 'one of the best ever'.

Every year with go through the same farce - the media fawn over Manning and his team - and cant wait to crown him the BEST EVER.

You hear cliches like "Manning has done it all - all he needs is the ring and he will be the best ever" - ...what about QB's who have won multiple rings?

I know fans of teams other than New England hate the praise that Brady gets - but at least it is earned - he has proved he can get it done when the heat is on.

If I hear another reference to the Mannings being the NFL's 'Royal Family' I may well vomit.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #28
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
What annoys me the most is the incesant talk in the media about this Colts team being 'one of the best ever'.

Every year with go through the same farce - the media fawn over Manning and his team - and cant wait to crown him the BEST EVER.

You hear cliches like "Manning has done it all - all he needs is the ring and he will be the best ever" - ...what about QB's who have won multiple rings?

I know fans of teams other than New England hate the praise that Brady gets - but at least it is earned - he has proved he can get it done when the heat is on.

If I hear another reference to the Mannings being the NFL's 'Royal Family' I may well vomit.

NM
the nfl is a marketing machine and wether what they say about manning is a farce or not, the nfl understands that it is peoples nature (especially americans) to want to witness or be a part of greatness. barnum and bailey circus really capitalized on this with one single phrase "the greatest show on earth". nobody wanted to miss out. so its really just a marketing ploy. another example of this strange phenomenon would be the millions of people who tuned in to watch the charles and dianna wedding. for some odd reason this was huge with americans, who wanted to taste and be a small part of royalty and greatness. and to witness the best wedding ever.

i cant blame or critisize what what the nfl does placing manning on a pedestal cause i understand it for what it is. it doesnt matter if its true or not as long as it generates interest and people tune in, buy merchandise, go to the games, and keep ordering the nfl ticket (which he is the main spokesman for). ultimately it is gonna bring more revenue to raise the steelers (and 31 other teams) salary cap and help us keep the next "greatest thing"- big ben
Old 01-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #29
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
the nfl is a marketing machine and wether what they say about manning is a farce or not, the nfl understands that it is peoples nature (especially americans) to want to witness or be a part of greatness. barnum and bailey circus really capitalized on this with one single phrase "the greatest show on earth". nobody wanted to miss out. so its really just a marketing ploy. another example of this strange phenomenon would be the millions of people who tuned in to watch the charles and dianna wedding. for some odd reason this was huge with americans, who wanted to taste and be a small part of royalty and greatness. and to witness the best wedding ever.

i cant blame or critisize what what the nfl does placing manning on a pedestal cause i understand it for what it is. it doesnt matter if its true or not as long as it generates interest and people tune in, buy merchandise, go to the games, and keep ordering the nfl ticket (which he is the main spokesman for). ultimately it is gonna bring more revenue to raise the steelers (and 31 other teams) salary cap and help us keep the next "greatest thing"- big ben

You hit it right on the head Tony, while i agree with LITP's post about Peyton not winning anything, the bottom line is $$$ and the nfl has always known where their cash cow is!
augustashark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #30
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Quote:

NM

I see what you mean. It does get old. But you must admit that they are all over Brady also. I just don't think anybody will beat the Colts this year. Right now if ya ask me, it'll be the Patriots and Colts in the AFCCG. The NFL also wants that rematch from Nov.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote