Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988
Default Steelers sign CFL RB Stefan Logan

Quote:
Dominique Dorsey will not be the only former CFL star plying his trade south of the border next season as BC Lions running back Stefan Logan has signed with the Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

"When I tried out in January they said they wanted to sign me then but we'd have to do it after the Super Bowl," Logan told TSN.

The two-year contract with the Steelers will be signed on Friday, however there is no significant signing bonus, a fact that did not bother the South Dakota product.

"I'm not worried about that," Logan told TSN. "They told me I had a good opportunity to make the team as a starting kick and punt returner and as a third down back."

Logan should be able to fit in to the Steelers plans immediately. The team's lack of a reliable third-down back was exposed in the Super Bowl when the Steelers decided to kick a field goal on the first series of the game, rather than go for it on fourth-and-goal from the one-yard line.

The chance to play in the NFL was too good to pass up for the 27-year old Logan, especially when he can be a part of a championship club.

"In life you have to take the opportunity when it comes. This is a chance to be closer to my family too. I'm just gonna roll the dice and see how it goes," Logan told TSN.

Lions general manager and head coach discussed the situation with Vancouver radio station CKNW on Thursday.

"We are disappointed for ourselves and our fans because Stefan is a very exciting football player and somebody that we were counting on to be a big part of our football team," Buono told CKNW.

"But this is part of our agreement (with the NFL) that we all have to deal with. The good thing at this point is that we have a lot of time during to the off-season to work on finding the next Stefan Logan."

Logan enjoyed a breakout campaign in his first year in the CFL as he was among the league leaders in rushing yards with 889 yards on just 122 carries. He also caught 52 passes for 477 yards and three touchdowns.

Although Buono was not happy to lose Logan, he believes that they can replace him from within.

"We had two good backs (Ian Smart being the other) and now the plan is to bring in another two or three more to compete for the job," Buono told TSN in an interview.

Buono also reiterated the fact that the signing does not necessarily signify the end of Logan's CFL career.

"Just because he has signed doesn't mean he has made the team," Buono told TSN.

Similarly, Logan is not ready to cut ties with the Lions either.

"I'm still going to keep a close eye on the Lions and see how they're doing. Neil (McEvoy, player personnel director) said that if it didn't work out they would welcome me back"

Buono does understand the lure of the NFL and does not begrudge Logan for taking his shot.

"It's a great opportunity for him with what (San Diego Chargers running back Darren) Sproles did," Buono told CKNW. "Guys like Dominique Dorsey and Stefan Logan will obviously get a much better look."
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=2659...=topStory_main

Last edited by Petesburgh66; 02-05-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: TSN add more to the article after I posted this. lol
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Steelers sign CFL RB Stefan Logan

Another running back?! Must be something special given how many we have. Well I wonder which RB we will cut or trade.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Another running back?! Must be something special given how many we have. Well I wonder which RB we will cut or trade.
Cut Willie. He sucks.

"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

http://www.bclions.com/roster/show/id/1455

This guy is not even that big..only 185#.......interesting. Maybe they are thinking of his receiving abilities out of the backfield?
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

5' 6" 180 lbs runs a 4.42 forty. Described as "Sproles Like". Ran track as a sprinter and deemed a good return man. Sounds like someone worth a look.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Potential return man. Low cost. If he doesn't cut it, practice squad or he heads back up to the CFL.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesDad88 View Post
Potential return man. Low cost. If he doesn't cut it, practice squad or he heads back up to the CFL.
I think you're on to something here.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Early season signing that won't be on the team come September. Like Jared Zabransky last year.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

Quote:
I agree.

I was hoping the Steelers would have given Dominique Dorsey a shot for kick and punt return duties. He was one of the best in the CFL in those duties over the past few seasons.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking, it's really the only thing that makes sence to me.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote