Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts
Default steelers defense honors lebeau

Honor thy coach

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, who played 15 years as a cornerback for the Detroit Lions, was surprised and moved when he walked into the Steelers locker room before the game. There, hanging outside every defensive player's locker, was a retro Detroit Lions white jersey with "LeBeau" above the No. 44 on the back.

"It was pretty neat, really," said LeBeau. "I think it was Benjamin Franklin who said 'Small things seem great to people of small circumstances.' That seemed like a pretty great thing to me. It was a tremendous compliment. I took it that way. I've never seen anything like that in this league."

Some players also wore coach Bill Cowher's old Cleveland Browns' jersey before their Nov. 13 game against the Browns but virtually every defensive player wore a LeBeau yesterday.

"Everybody's been excited about the LeBeau jerseys for weeks," linebacker Larry Foote said. "We all order them and everyone chips in and pays."

Linebacker James Farrior said: "It was just a tribute to our coach. He's a great coach, a great leader. We love him to death and we just wanted to show the appreciation of what he's done for this organization and this team."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a bit different than t.o. sporting a michael irvin jersey.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: steelers defense honors lebeau

Our locker room is where ego`s are left outside. We seem to have gream team unity!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Thats a nice story - its good to see the team giving something back to the coaching staff.

On the subject of the Steeler D - why has it struggled so badly at times this year?

I remember 9 or 10 weeks into the season there was talk of a new softer approach - that allowed teams to convert more 3rd and long's but ultimately gave up fewer points.

At the time I remember saying that giving up 3rd and long situations can never be a good thing and the Steelers D is best suited to shorter spurts of game time due to their often aggresive blitzing techniques.

This 3rd and long problem has continued - is there a problem with the personnel in the DB's or is it more of a coaching method that isnt working out?

It would be good to get a Steelers fanbase perspective on this.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Thats a nice story - its good to see the team giving something back to the coaching staff.

On the subject of the Steeler D - why has it struggled so badly at times this year?

I remember 9 or 10 weeks into the season there was talk of a new softer approach - that allowed teams to convert more 3rd and long's but ultimately gave up fewer points.

At the time I remember saying that giving up 3rd and long situations can never be a good thing and the Steelers D is best suited to shorter spurts of game time due to their often aggresive blitzing techniques.

This 3rd and long problem has continued - is there a problem with the personnel in the DB's or is it more of a coaching method that isnt working out?

It would be good to get a Steelers fanbase perspective on this.

NM
the steelers have seen young members of the secondary like ike taylor and t. polamalu get beat deep in several big games. i think the coaching staff is trying to protect them a bit as they get even younger players like mcfadden and colclough some game time and experience to be ready to take over starting positions in the future. this leads to a bend but dont break philosophy. i think in yesterdays game they threw out a stat that the steelers have only allowed 2 tds of over 20 yards this year which is pretty good and 2 of their 5 losses can be more attributed to offensive overtime woes than defensive breakdowns. injuries to porter and haggans have kind of hampered the steelers blitzing even though they went into yesterdays game 3rd in sacks. i would say its more of coaching style, with a little bit of youth and injuries sprinkled in. they are still near the top in overall defense so i dont think theres really no need to panic just yet.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
the steelers have seen young members of the secondary like ike taylor and t. polamalu get beat deep in several big games. i think the coaching staff is trying to protect them a bit as they get even younger players like mcfadden and colclough some game time and experience to be ready to take over starting positions in the future. this leads to a bend but dont break philosophy. i think in yesterdays game they threw out a stat that the steelers have only allowed 2 tds of over 20 yards this year which is pretty good and 2 of their 5 losses can be more attributed to offensive overtime woes than defensive breakdowns. injuries to porter and haggans have kind of hampered the steelers blitzing even though they went into yesterdays game 3rd in sacks. i would say its more of coaching style, with a little bit of youth and injuries sprinkled in. they are still near the top in overall defense so i dont think theres really no need to panic just yet.
Thanks Tony.

Its good to get a closer insight into another teams coaching and roster.

Were Haggans and Porter's injuries midseason or are going to be less than 100% for the playoffs?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Thanks Tony.

Were Haggans and Porter's injuries midseason or are going to be less than 100% for the playoffs?

NM
all should be well. injury wise, were going into the playoffs in real good shape, other than ben which worries me.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lers
all should be well. injury wise, were going into the playoffs in real good shape, other than ben which worries me.
Thanks for the heads-up St33lers.

I hope Ben is recovered by the playoffs too - the Patriots hopes of a home AFCCG probably lie in the grasp of his throwing hand.

NM
Old 01-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Tony.

NM
porter had knee surgery right before the season which he finally admitted several weeks ago has prevented him from going full speed, like hes used to, all year but the browns game proved hes finally getting back to form. haggans injury was early also and farrior missed 2 games midpoint. really these cant be seen as an excuse especially with such a capable back-up as harrison. the thing is with lebeaus zone blitz scheme being one of the most complex defenses in the league any injury is gonna set you back some. (or atleast make you adjust the way you call plays) i think thats 1 reason belichick loves former steelers cause if they can prove they can learn the steelers defense they can mentally handle anything especially the complex schemes and changups 'chick likes to utilize.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
porter had knee surgery right before the season which he finally admitted several weeks ago has prevented him from going full speed, like hes used to, all year but the browns game proved hes finally getting back to form. haggans injury was early also and farrior missed 2 games midpoint. really these cant be seen as an excuse especially with such a capable back-up as harrison. the thing is with lebeaus zone blitz scheme being one of the most complex defenses in the league any injury is gonna set you back some. (or atleast make you adjust the way you call plays) i think thats 1 reason belichick loves former steelers cause if they can prove they can learn the steelers defense they can mentally handle anything especially the complex schemes and changups 'chick likes to utilize.
Thanks for the info Tony.

You probably have a good point there about BB's preference for players with good mental aptitude.

How much stock do the Steelers put into recruiting draftee's with good wonderlic scores?

NM
Old 01-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the info Tony.

You probably have a good point there about BB's preference for players with good mental aptitude.

How much stock do the Steelers put into recruiting draftee's with good wonderlic scores?

NM
you know what, ive never really heard them scores mentionned when discussing draft picks. of course football talent comes first but i think character comes 2nd when they decide who to draft. it seems to me they would rather have a stupid but coachable and talented player with integrity and high character, than someone with the smarts but has attitude problems.

stupid may be a stong word but i dont think theyre necessarily looking for brainiacs when they draft. just someone with good football instincts who can learn what theyre trying to teach.