Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Morgan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12966
Default A little complaining about the Steelers from a Steeler fan

There are a couple things that happened in the Super Bowl that I hope Coach Tomlin addresses. To me, they're not Steeler football. It's the silly showboating.

Santonio Holmes was the worst. Who else was SCREAMING at the TV that he needed to get back to the HUDDLE after catching a first down pass on the final drive with the clock running instead of strutting farther down field? The guy talks about being humble in the eyes of God all the time, but looks like he wants to show-boat like Chad Johnson.

And Woodley taking his helmet off after the sack/fumble..... You know it's a penalty. Don't do it. I don't care the situation.

Imagine this scenario...

Santonio catches the go ahead TD, and the refs flag him for unsportsmanlike conduct. The kickoff moves 15 yards back, and they maybe get a little better return. They move up field a bit more. Woodley gets to Warner 1/4 second later, and the fumble really IS a forward pass, so the turnover is overturned.

Now they have the ball with 15 seconds to go inside the Steelers 20. That's 2 shots at Larry Fitzgerald in the endzone, sports fans.

Discipline. I hope we didn't see the beginning of the end of it.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583
Default Re: A little complaining about the Steelers from a Steeler fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
There are a couple things that happened in the Super Bowl that I hope Coach Tomlin addresses. To me, they're not Steeler football. It's the silly showboating.

Santonio Holmes was the worst. Who else was SCREAMING at the TV that he needed to get back to the HUDDLE after catching a first down pass on the final drive with the clock running instead of strutting farther down field? The guy talks about being humble in the eyes of God all the time, but looks like he wants to show-boat like Chad Johnson.

And Woodley taking his helmet off after the sack/fumble..... You know it's a penalty. Don't do it. I don't care the situation.

Imagine this scenario...

Santonio catches the go ahead TD, and the refs flag him for unsportsmanlike conduct. The kickoff moves 15 yards back, and they maybe get a little better return. They move up field a bit more. Woodley gets to Warner 1/4 second later, and the fumble really IS a forward pass, so the turnover is overturned.

Now they have the ball with 15 seconds to go inside the Steelers 20. That's 2 shots at Larry Fitzgerald in the endzone, sports fans.

Discipline. I hope we didn't see the beginning of the end of it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! for pointing out about Santonio's showboating( I was beginning to think I was the only fan who noticed this)..I am SICK of him behaving in that manner. It is the only thing that turns me off about him. I brought this same topic up in a thread a few months ago. He does show signs of a lack of discipline , and not keeping his head in the game. At one time( I believe it was last season)I saw him back-peddle into the end zone.....UNCALLED FOR. He is still young... but if this is not addressed now he could end up going the way of T.O....BIG EGO...too big for his britches. Lord knows I do not want to see that happen. He is such a wonderfully talented and gifted receiver...he doesn't need to do all that showboating CRAP. Let your play on the field speak as to what a great athlete you are. That other stuff is unnecessary. It is supposed to be about the TEAM...not about YOU. I think he would do well to keep that in mind.

"Who else was SCREAMING at the TV that he needed to get back to the HUDDLE after catching a first down pass on the final drive with the clock running instead of strutting farther down field?" I WAS!! I could not believe what I was seeing..I was screaming...'HOLMES...what the heck are you doing????'.. and this is the freaking Super Bowl for crying out loud! That is exactly what I am talking about...he should have been aware that the CLOCK WAS RUNNING...and busted his butt to get back to the line of scrimmage instead of stopping to say...'LOOKY at ME I just got us a first down!!'...It was ridiculous.

Last edited by Steelcitygal87; 02-06-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,637 Posts

We are all too old. You have to understand the motivation and psychology of today's youth and especially athletes.

20 somthing employees want to have lots of time off, cruise facebook at work and be recognized monitarily and with praise for every little thing done. Its about the individual, not the collective employer/organization.

Blame their parents for not teaching them to work for stuff and rewarding them with candy, toys and a happy meal for any time they do something right.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Seems like you guys condone Goodell and the NO FUN LEAGUE

I have no problem with a little celebration here and there. Santonio didn't need to hurry because he was the one that made the catch, and it took the O-line/Ben a little time to get where he caught the ball.

I would have yelled if i saw it was a problem, but didnt think much of it.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lers View Post

I have no problem with a little celebration here and there. Santonio didn't need to hurry because he was the one that made the catch, and it took the O-line/Ben a little time to get where he caught the ball.

One of my favorite quotes is by Knute Rockne "Football is a game played with legs, arms and shoulders, but mostly from THE NECK UP".....Holmes was NOT smart in acting how he did. Let's say the refs had seen his end zone celebration...that would have cost us 15 yards...HUGE difference in field position on the kick off. Play SMART football is all I am saying and don't act in ways that could possibly cost your team yardage. Every one can see the great play you just made...you don't need to hype it up more.

Just as an example of opposite behavior....when you see Troy make a TREMENDOUS play...he doesn't dance around or showboat in any way. A play that comes to mind is the one he made on Flacco in the AFCC game...tackled him when he tried to run outside the pocket...to his left I believe....BIG loss of yardage. Troy did his job and went back to the huddle to get ready for the next play. That is what I love to see.

Last edited by Steelcitygal87; 02-06-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcitygal87 View Post
One of my favorite quotes is by Knute Rockne "Football is a game played with legs, arms and shoulders, but mostly from THE NECK UP".....Holmes was NOT smart in acting how he did. Let's say the refs had seen his end zone celebration...that would have cost us 15 yards...HUGE difference in field position on the kick off. Play SMART football is all I am saying and don't act in ways that could possibly cost your team yardage.
i guess we can agree that the endzone celebration was a little too much, but the fact is it didnt cost us the 15 yards. I bet Tomlin, or someone in the FO gave tone a little talk and we'll see celebrations on the "lighter" side next season. i think players should be allowed to celebrate here and there for doing something good for their team.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Morgan
Draft Prospect

Quote:

That first sentence is what we call a non sequitor. I said nothing of the kind that I condone the No Fun League bull caw caw. I do not. What Santonio did was pretty innocent... BUT IT'S A PENALTY in the league RIGHT NOW. Ergo, he shouldn't have done it. Just like removing one's helmet on the field is a penalty... agree or disagree that it "should" be a penalty, but while it is, you don't DO it.

I'm sorry but your statement "it took the rest of the offense a little time to get where he caught the ball" is patently incorrect. Dude... it was 13 yards to the PITTSBURGH 39 inside the two minute warning. There's NOTHING he should have been doing but running to the huddle or to line up. You don't know how 5 seconds can affect the game... ask Sweed about a little wasted time in the AFCC in the first half.

I don't have a problem with a celebration here and there either. But he practically moon walks every first down. To me, it just isn't classy or selfless. Celebrating while the game is going on is a good way to collect L's. Remember the Dallas/Pitt game this year when the Steelers watched the Cowboys celebrating like idiots when they had a 4th down stand? I prefer to do my celebrating for things of substance, like wins, instead of temporary gains, like first downs. To me, that's Steeler football. Leave the other trash to Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens. Just sayin.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Quote:
i guess we can agree that the endzone celebration was a little too much, but the fact is it didnt cost us the 15 yards. I bet Tomlin, or someone in the FO gave tone a little talk and we'll see celebrations on the "lighter" side next season. i think players should be allowed to celebrate here and there for doing something good for their team.
Yeah, hopefully Tomlin did have a talk with him about cutting back on that type of thing.

Hey, do you happen to remember a few seasons ago Anthony Smith got an interception and was running it back and was forced out of bounds, but as he was going out of bounds he was high stepping it with the ball? Man, when he got to the sidelines I remember Dick LeBeau really let him have it with both barrels!! He did the right thing...he let Smith know that type of behavior is a BIG NO NO and will not be tolerated~ I LOVED IT.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
Morgan
Draft Prospect

Quote:
i guess we can agree that the endzone celebration was a little too much, but the fact is it didn't cost us the 15 yards. I bet Tomlin, or someone in the FO gave tone a little talk and we'll see celebrations on the "lighter" side next season. i think players should be allowed to celebrate here and there for doing something good for their team.
It wasn't a penalty because they didn't catch him, and the head of NFL officiating made that statement. If they'd have seen him do it, they'd have flagged him for it. Period.

They CAN celebrate. They can high-five, hug, jump... but for better or worse, the NFL has determined that some types of celebration are unsportsman like, and rather than have the refs make judgment calls on which particular celebrations are insulting and which are OK, they just said, "Don't do it."
Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,637 Posts

Its part of the game nowadays, so just accept it and try to move on.

Guys celebrate a special teams tackle like they just won the lottery. Others celebrate a sack the same way. Tackling the ballcarrier is actually expected........not surprising.

The other thing I never get is why guys need to celebrate a 1st down. I cant remember Lynn Swann or John Stallworth feeling the need to signal a 1st down reception. I accept it as the "me generation" and just go on watching.
Closed Thread