Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #111
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Official 2009 NASCAR Thread

We have been sitting in the middle of one of them slow moving subtropical stormfronts for almost a week.

I guess you don't watch the Weather Channel.

It does rain here in FL - we are a swamp for a reason, ya know.

(I should let the rest of yinz see this - nobody comes around here anymore)
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #112
Fire Haley
Banned

Go Matt Go!

wow - I come in just in time to see Billy Bad Butt kiss the ground at Tony's feet. Classic!

Welcome to the Coca Cola 1000

Up to 6th on yet another rain delay
Old 05-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #113
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,877 Times in 4,503 Posts

the only thing that sucks more than a delayed race on sunday, is a rain shortened race on monday.

congrats to reutimann and team waltrip for both their 1st victory.

what a long, drawn out race weekend.

sitting in the car that long definitely cant be good for jeffys back.

looks like "reports" of him being healed and happy were grossly overexaggerated.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...rten-my-career'

Gordon: Back pain could 'shorten my career'

Quote:
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) - Jeff Gordon found himself thinking about his back instead of his car. After hours of agony behind the wheel at Bristol Motor Speedway in March, Gordon wondered how much longer he could fight the pain.

"If my back was the way it was at Bristol this year, it's definitely going to shorten my career," Gordon said Thursday. "I can't race like that."

The Sprint Cup points leader began a series of tests, which revealed minor arthritis and other issues. That led to a procedure on Monday that called for an injection of lidocaine or anti-inflammatory medication.

So far, so good as Gordon prepares for Sunday's Coca-Cola 600, a 400-lap, marathon night of endurance behind the wheel in NASCAR's longest race.

"I feel pretty good. They said it's going to take six or seven days for it to have its full impact," Gordon said. "Today in the car, yesterday in the go-kart event, I was feeling pretty good. I'm pretty happy so far with the results. Hopefully we can resolve what's going on."

The 37-year-old Gordon acknowledged he may have taken too long to address the issue. He drove in pain throughout a winless 2008, his first season without a victory since he was a rookie 16 years ago.

Stopping the pain was an offseason priority that led Gordon to start a new fitness program.

"I'm in the best shape I can ever remember being in. But all of the things I had been doing, the stretches, the fitness workouts, none of those things were making my back any better," Gordon said. "We tried things in the seat, lumbar supports and all those things."

Gordon said an MRI showed the arthritis and long-term back issues possibly related to trauma from a past crash

The pain increases when Gordon is on a short track like Bristol or road course when there is extra and he has to brake often. It's not as bad when Gordon is at longer tracks like the 1.5-mile Lowe's Motor Speedway, where he spent last week and races on Sunday. But Gordon said now was the time to get treatment.

"The other night, even though it was 100 laps, I really wasn't in too bad of shape," Gordon said
Old 05-25-2009, 11:43 PM   #114
Fire Haley
Banned

Yeah - rainouts suck.

But, Tony was whining about Reutimann racing him so hard early, and then he winds up winning the race, priceless.

The whole broadcasting crew backed Tony up too when he said that David didn't yet "know his place".
ha ha!

And on another note - Joey Logano is only 80 pts back of Jr now.

I predict when Joey passes him that Jr Nation will officially collapse.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #115
tony hipchest
Supporter

that was hilarious. i guess DW forgot about all of stewarts aggressive driving as he called him a veteran all youngsters can learn from.

stewart will put a competitor in the grass at daytona (mike skinner) for nothing more than driving for a rival sponsor.

the broadcasting crew backing tony is about the equivalent of nfl guys backing TO for calling out a teammate.

hilarious.

that my biggest problem with stewart, that he thinks he's the only one who is allowed to act like a jackass on the track.

hes better off as a driver as opposed to a coach, regardless how many irl/cup championships he has won.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #116
Fire Haley
Banned

Oh well - next up, sunny Dover - the last race on FOX for awhile.

Back to TNT - the Bill Weber & Wally Dallenbach clan. ugh
Old 05-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #117
Fire Haley
Banned

You knew it was gonna happen....

Eury Jr. out as crew chief for slumping Earnhardt

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. will have a new crew chief starting with this weekend's race at Dover.

The team said Thursday that Tony Eury Jr. has been replaced as crew chief of Earnhardt's No. 88 team. The two are cousins and have worked together Earnhardt's entire career.

They left Dale Earnhardt Inc. last season to drive for Hendrick Motorsports, but they've yet to find consistency despite driving for NASCAR's top team.

They have one win in 48 races with Hendrick and are 19th in points. They hit rock bottom with Monday's 40th-place finish at Lowe's Motor Speedway.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 AM   #118
tony hipchest
Supporter

the good thing is, hendrick can afford a 'Neck to English translator for jr to be able to communicate with his new 'chief.

too bad they cant take back that dude they gave to tony stewart.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #119
Fire Haley
Banned

The Monster Mile

Kyle Kyle - losing two races in the final laps in one day with blown tires - and he runs off into the night holding his tongue.

Tires were blowing at 30 laps like clockwork in the Nationwide race all day long - no surprise there.

The #1 AND #2 trucks blow right fronts at the same time in the same corner? Pretty amazing.

I couldn't figure out why Joey was apologizing. It was a classy thing for the kid to do, but unecessary.

With 2 laps to go on a restart, it was time to GO, Kyle faltered and Joey was right on his bumper - he had a reasonable expectation for Kyle to get going and he when he didn't Joey lost his own momentum in the tangle-up. If anything - Kyle must have known his tire was going down and should have gotten out of the way - Congrats to Brad for being in the right spot to capitalize and win.

That's racin'.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #120
Fire Haley
Banned

NASCAR changing restarts to double-file for Cup

LONG POND, Pa. – As expected, NASCAR unveiled plans Thursday to begin using double-file restarts with lead-lap cars up front beginning with Sunday's Pocono 500 at Pocono Raceway.

Under the previous format, cars on the lead lap would restart in a single-file line while cars that had been lapped would start in a line next to them

With the change, the race leader can choose to restart in the inside or outside lane and the second-place driver would restart next to the leader. But drivers in odd-numbered starting positions would always restart in the inside lane and drivers in even-numbered spots the outside.

http://www.thatsracin.com/140/story/10864.html

-----------------------------

Bout time!

How many times since the inception of the Lucky Dog has a driver actually RACED to get his lap back anyway?

I know Matt has gotten stuck behind lap down cars on re-starts in say 4th or 5th place and by the time he's cleared the traffic, the leader has checked out.

I like the change, let the leaders battle it out up front.