Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583
Default A-Rod tested positive for steroids in 2003

I am watching ESPN and they just had a breaking news story.... he tested positive for steroids back in 2003.

According to a report by Sports Illustrated, Alex Rodriguez tested positive for anabolic steroids in 2003, when he was with the Texas Rangers and won the AL home run title and MVP award.

According to the report, which was posted Saturday morning on SI.com, sources told the publication that Rodriguez was on a list of 104 players who tested positive that year, when Major League Baseball conducted tests to see if mandatory random drug testing was needed.

In 2003, there were no penalties for a positive result.

Rodriguez, reached at a Miami gym for comment by Sports Illustrated, said, "You'll have to talk to the union."

Asked if there were an explanation for the positive test result, Rodriguez told SI: "I'm not saying anything."

Sports Illustrated also reported that it left phone messages for players' union executive director Donald Fehr, which were not returned.

Major League Baseball, in an agreement with the MLBPA, wanted to see if random drug testing should be implemented starting in 2004.

More than 5 percent of players in the majors tested positive in the '03 survey, and mandatory testing was implemented -- including provisions for penalties -- in 2004.

Scott Boras, Rodriguez's agent, did not immediately return calls from ESPN.com seeking comment.

Michael Weiner, general counsel for the players' union, declined to comment, and said he did not know if the union would have any comment Saturday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3890785
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: A-Rod tested positive for steroids in 2003

So much for taking the asterisk off the home run record. A-Fraud is a cheater too.

MLB needs to recognize the Negro League records. That puts Aaron ahead of Bonds and makes Josh Gibson the all-time home run king.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Benzbrother
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12117

Yea this is pretty bad....it makes you wonder who else is going to get caught? In my book, Aaron/Maris are definitely still the kings.

Sig created by 86WARD-- thanks!
Benzbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

I think this is why im not a huge MLB fan. How manys actually took or are taking Steroids. Its pathetic.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

THIS IS FALSE

it has not been confirmed.. it is alleged that he tested postive for steroids in 03.. and THE ONLY WAY 2 CONFIRM THIS IS IF SOMEONE IS WILLING 2 GO TO JAIL..
b/c these records were sealed by the federal judge and there was a gag order... so if someone comes out and confirms it.. they are going to jail

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
THIS IS FALSE

it has not been confirmed.. it is alleged that he tested postive for steroids in 03.. and THE ONLY WAY 2 CONFIRM THIS IS IF SOMEONE IS WILLING 2 GO TO JAIL..
b/c these records were sealed by the federal judge and there was a gag order... so if someone comes out and confirms it.. they are going to jail
Rodriguez just admitted to it in an interview with Peter Gammons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847
Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Benzbrother
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
Rodriguez just admitted to it in an interview with Peter Gammons...
I gotta tell yea, I'm really glad he admitted it. I always admired him during his playing days in Seattle (Junior is my hero) and it really bugged me to see his name come up associated with steroids. I am much more willing to accept this now that he has admitted it and apologized....than I am to put up with Bonds and Clemens getting caught and denying it again and again.

Sig created by 86WARD-- thanks!
Benzbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

honestly, with someone as prominent as Alex Rodriguez coming clean about his steroid use, i wouldn't be surprised if EVERYONE was using steriods. i know that's an exaggeration. not everyone could be one steriods, but anybody coming clean at this point wouldn't shock me at all.

i LOVED Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and as much as i hate the Yankees and hate to admit it, Rodriguez was an amazing athlete and respected across the sports nation. so, yes, i am a little shocked at these announcements but what can we do? just out an asteriks by his name and keep Hank Aaron's record alive for forever.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbrother View Post
I gotta tell yea, I'm really glad he admitted it. I always admired him during his playing days in Seattle (Junior is my hero) and it really bugged me to see his name come up associated with steroids. I am much more willing to accept this now that he has admitted it and apologized....than I am to put up with Bonds and Clemens getting caught and denying it again and again.
you're right. atleast he had the balls to man up and say, "yeah. i did it." i hope he's willing to face the consequences of these actions and i'm sure he is. but he might've screwed the pooch on this one.

they're saying the big story in New York is not CC Sabathia and Mark Texeria being signed...but A-Rod being dirty. what a shame? two really good players going to the biggest franchise on earth (second to the Steelers...haha!) and they get thrown on the back burner for a gut busting story like this.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Does anything in baseball surprise anyone anymore?

Doubtful.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote