Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645
Default Tomlin, Then And Now

Anyone else quite impressed with Tomlin? I mean, myself included, I know in the Jags game last year many of us were very angry at some of his playcalling. The 4th and 2, the QB Draw, all that. Yes I know it isn't solely him, but he came in wanting to be a strong head coach, so the responsibility goes with that too.

That said, its amazing with a little brazing can do to a man, just some experience of the position. I'm not an Arians hater, which influences my opinion, but I honestly think the playcalling for the most part was pretty spot-on this past year.

Hindsight is 20/20, thinking of that, most of the decisions seemed quite sound. If nothing else, in some games, just leaving it to Big Ben to make them and do what he does.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Morgan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12966
Default Re: Tomlin, Then And Now

I'm very pleased with Tomlin as a coach and impressed with him as a man. I think he's done more with a Super Bowl team in 2 years than Barry Switzer did in winning a SB in 2 years after taking over a SB winner.... But with a solid core of 20 players on the SB roster who won in the Cower SB, I want just a little more separation from the Cowher Era and success that is VERY much "on his own" to be TOTALLY impressed with Coach Tomlin. I don't think that all of those players need to be gone, by any means. I don't have a line in the sand either... but 2 years separated just feels like there was still a lot of Cowher-SB-Winning-Team footprint visible. I suppose the same DC and an OC that was on staff during the Cowher era might have something to do with it. Dick L can coach the D until he drops dead (at the age of 103) as far as I'm concerned. Bruce Arians is 56... I wonder if the young coach trend will keep him out of any HC conversations if the Steelers O explodes in the next year or two.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

He won a bunch of guys over, many of whom had played for the same guy their entire professional careers in Cowher and earned their complete respect and they now will all climb mountains for him. That's not an easy thing to do. He's given LeBeau the kind of freedom he never had under Cowher and in so doing, the defense has just gotten better. He's a keeper in my book.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I have been impressed with him from the get go. I honestly believe the best is yet to come.

Tomlin has emerged as a tremendous leader, a leader that embraces adversity and uses it to hone his men. That is precisely why this team of men flourishes when most others would wilt.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

I think the way he blended his knowledge of the cover 2 he was so familiar with to coach Labeaus D was not only a sign of his coaching ability and intelligence but also a sign of his overall intelligence.

I have been impressed with him as a person from day one. I have watched just about every press conference. He is well spoken and to the point. He respects the game, his position and carries himself in a way that commands respect but at the same time also gives that same respect to others. He never portrays himself as being bigger than the process but always happy and grateful to be a part of it. These same qualities became apparent in his players. It is no wonder he made such a strong impression on the Rooneys.

I also believe the best is yet to come
Old 02-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,415 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I have to say I was pleased with the hiring of Tomlin. He is a deffensive minded coach, and I think we all can see that with the deffense we have now.I think we have only seen the tip of the sword from Tomlin. In only two seasons he has taken us to the playoffs and a superbowl win. It is hard to imagin what he will bring to pittsburgh before his carrer is over.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Well it sure was a tough choice for a head coach, and most of us can admit it was one of those picks no one saw coming and we all thought this was the wrong choice. Something I love about this guy is his will to always worry about the game at hand and practice that teams butt off. We just won the super bowl and he is already square ahead and ready for the long road ahead for ring number 7. Great coach and Id love to see him around 12 years plus!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104

Im proud to say that I was one who was hoping and wanted to see Tomlin with the Steelers instead of Whiz or Grimm

My best friend is a Bucs fan so he never stopped telling me how good that DB coach was and how impressed he was cause he was only 30.

So I was convinced that Tomlin was the man we needed
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think just think the huge difference between 1 and 2.. was that he finally had a yr of HC exo under his belt and he knew what a full season consisted of as a HC and he adapted very well

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
BettorFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 10961

All the news I heard was that no one respected Tomlin when he joined the Steerlers. Look how quick he got everyone on his page and into the Super Bowl.