Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Monday Madden: What plus 6 equals 7?

Monday Madden: What plus 6 equals 7?
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...5678084426.txt
By Mark Madden, Special to The Times

As Pittsburgh basks in the afterglow of six, one burning question permeates the admittedly muddled mind of Yinzer Nation: How do we win No. 7 n’at?

(Let me parenthetically declare that I hope Dan Rooney or Roger Goodell tries to copyright “Stairway to Seven.” Not many can afford to wage legal battle with the Steelers or the NFL, but I bet Jimmy Page and Robert Plant can.)

Winning the Vince Lombardi Trophy next year is a very real possibility if the Steelers avoid a repeat of their 2006 Super Bowl hangover and make a few shrewd moves.

For those who expect a complete overhaul of the offensive line, forget it. That wouldn’t have happened even if the Steelers had lost their first playoff game.

An upgrade of any kind sounds good, though. Ben Roethlisberger made big play after big play behind the worst offensive line to ever win a Super Bowl. Imagine what he might do if those paid to protect him were even slightly above average.

Justin Hartwig emerged as a needed leader in Alan Faneca’s absence. Max Starks did his job reasonably well, but $6.875 million sure doesn’t buy what it used to. The others are subpar at best, garbage at worst, and they sure do commit a lot of penalties.

Maybe Marvel Smith will heal enough to play, maybe he won’t. Maybe the Steelers will re-sign him, maybe they won’t. Kendall Simmons isn’t great, but he’s a lot better than Darnell Stapleton. A first-round pick? A Jeff Hartings-level free-agent signing? Anything beats fearing for the franchise quarterback’s life on every snap.

James Harrison’s situation is intriguing. He reportedly wants $20 million guaranteed, same as Joey Porter got from Miami (and didn’t get from the Steelers). Harrison has one more year left on his deal, and the Steelers certainly won’t cut him.

But will they give Harrison that kind of money? Harrison is that rarest of players, one with legitimate leverage over the Steelers. Rooney doesn’t want to pay any non-QB such massive bank, especially at 30, but Harrison is the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year and was a Super Bowl difference-maker. He’ll get what he wants, or close.

So, Harrison won’t get released. Larry Foote might, especially if he won’t allow his $2.885 million salary to be cut. But Foote is a bona fide run stopper. While Lawrence Timmons has all the tools, he could use one more year to finish building his toolbox.

Bryant McFadden is an unrestricted free agent, very talented, the sort of player that might get overpaid somewhere else based on having played for a Super Bowl champion. The Steelers don’t seem to rate McFadden as highly as I do, and the strong play of William Gay might make the Steelers less inclined to keep McFadden.

Let’s hope not. With the amount of nickel and dime the Steelers play, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau can never have too many quality cornerbacks. Ike Taylor, Deshea Townsend, McFadden and Gay functioned well as a foursome and should yet again.

Nate Washington, also unrestricted, should beg the Steelers to keep him. Their appreciation for his meager skills simply won’t be matched elsewhere. Don’t be shocked if Limas Sweed emerges next season. If you drop a lot of balls, it means you get open a lot. Sweed can be the big receiver Roethlisberger craves if patience is exercised.

If Rashard Mendenhall’s bum shoulder is OK, he’ll usurp a lot of carries from Willie Parker. Mike Tomlin seems to prefer a power back. If nothing else, Mendenhall will provide serious assistance to the Steelers’ lame goal-line offense.

So, what do you think? I figure 15-1, 14-2. Anybody got a good catchphrase about winning No. 8?

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Monday Madden: What plus 6 equals 7?

Probably the best article this guy has ever written.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
aries4972
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6890

Madden is a fat azz blowhard ... I have a hard time believing that guy can even read much less put together an article...
aries4972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I can't believe Mark Madden wrote this. Fatso actually said some nice things again about the Steelers. But he is crazy for thinking Timmons should sit behind Foote for another year. IMO Timmons should be the starter in 2009.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
TampaSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12183

Foote has been solid for us but he is definitely expendable. Timmons is more then ready to step into the starting lineup. Besides, I heard somewhere that Foote wants to play for the Lions since he is from there. If that's true we should trade him there for a pick...

How sick does a starting linebacker lineup of HARRISON-FARRIOR-TIMMONS-WOODLEY sound??
Old 02-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Mags87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
(Let me parenthetically declare that I hope Dan Rooney or Roger Goodell tries to copyright “Stairway to Seven.” Not many can afford to wage legal battle with the Steelers or the NFL, but I bet Jimmy Page and Robert Plant can.)
good thing we arent completely arrogant assholes (see 19-0)
Old 02-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Probably the best article this guy has ever written.

Beat me to it. When I first read his name, I said, Oh no, here we go.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
Benzbrother
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12117

Nice read thanks for the post!

Sig created by 86WARD-- thanks!
Benzbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
I can't believe Mark Madden wrote this. Fatso actually said some nice things again about the Steelers. But he is crazy for thinking Timmons should sit behind Foote for another year. IMO Timmons should be the starter in 2009.
Should be, but either way Timmons is guaranteed to get on the field pretty much the same as a starter, since he can play everything. What I worry about if Foote leaves is that guys get beat up all the time, which means we'd probably see a few games with Bruce Davis or Keyaron Fox as a starter. And we'd be one injury away from a whole season of that.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Thanked 1,106 Times in 463 Posts

As I previously stated.... Mark Madden knows his stuff.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote