Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Cassel to the Lions?

Okay ...You are the new GM of the Detroit Lions (poor sap)....Your team just made NFL basement history by going 0-16. Your fans are borderline despondent...and possibly one preseason loss away from jumping into Lake Michigan.

You have two incredibly hard taks at hand...1) Turn your team around. 2) Energize your Fanbase

The first is actually easier than the second because ...well...short of another 0-16 season, this next year will have to be an improvement on the last. The second is harder because of the history of failed draft picks... mediocre free agents...and inept management. The Lions Fans have to be sceptical that Detroits front office is even willing to make the type of changes that can field a competitive team.

The franchising of Matt Cassel is not the Patriots attempt to stockpile QB's...it is a message to a league that is short of talented quarterbacks...a message that says they are willing to trade, but it isnt going to be cheap. In fact, expensive to the tune of two first round draft picks. Simple supply and demand.

The Lions can bring a level of excitement to their organization with the simple acquisition of Matt Cassel. The are starving for a winning QB that can captain their offense. The have one of the best WR's in the game, an adequate young RB, and a first round linemen last year in Cherilus.

With three of the first 33 picks in the upcioming draft, the Lions are in a position to trade away one of their 1st round picks this year and the first round pick next year and put Cassel in a Lions uniform while still meeting some of their other urgent needs.

Scenerio #1:
Trade away the first overall pick this year (and next year) to the Patriots for Cassel...use the 20th pick in the first round on an OT like Britt or Beatty....use the first pick in the second round on CB's Moore or Butler to play opposite Bodden....then either grab another defensive player or trade the 3rd round pick to the Steelers and pick up Larry Foote to team up with Ernie Sims

Scenerio #2:
Use the 1st overall pick to grab OT Andre Smith...trade the 20th pick this year (...and next years 1st round pick) to grab Cassel...and the rest of the scenerio matches #1

Scenerio #3
Trade away both first round picks this year for Cassel...thereby simply making him their first round pick this year...I think this is unlikely since the Pats wont want to pay for three first round picks in one year.

Will the Lions pull the trigger...probably not...but if they are going to spend the money demanded by an overall #1 QB pick such as Stafford..they might as well go for a known commodity.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,117 Posts
Default Re: Cassel to the Lions?

I dont think the Lions have to trade away both 1st round picks to get Cassell. If they were to sign him as a franchise tagged player, then they forfeit the picks.

I think they might be able to trade a 1st round pick for him as the Pats just wanted to make sure they got value for him.
I'm thinking some offseason moves like this:
-Cassel to Detroit
-Housyourmama to the Vikings
-Jordan Gross stays in Carolina
-Max Starks to Arizona
-Namdi Asomgua to Tampa Bay
-Dunta Robinson to Miami
-Ron Bartell to Denver
-Anquan Boldin traded to Miami
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,584 Posts

the way i see it, no qb is going to make much of a difference next year for detroit. they aren't just a player or 2 away from being a contender , if i'm the detroit GM, i'd be thinking of nothing but building up the trenches this year, and trying to establish some kind of a running game, to take the pressure off my #1 pick next year.....bradford.or McCOY.. i'd take whoever i thought was the best OT with my first pick, then i'd grab alex mack at # 20.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I dont think the Lions have to trade away both 1st round picks to get Cassell. If they were to sign him as a franchise tagged player, then they forfeit the picks.
Pretty sure Cassel would demand two first round picks...but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofPuppets
the way i see it, no qb is going to make much of a difference next year for detroit. they aren't just a player or 2 from being a contender , if i'm the detroit GM, i'd be thinking of nothing but building up the trenches this year, and trying to establish some kind of a running game, to take the pressure off my #1 pick next year.....bradford.or McCOY.. i'd take whoever i thought was the best OT with my first pick, then i'd grab alex mack at # 20
The move would help energize the fanbase and give them a proven commodity over a rookie QB....With Cherilus already drafted last year...and the pickup of another first round lineman this year, they should be able to open lanes for Kevin Smith who averages 4.1 yards with a poor line last year. I would look for them to also add at least one more O-lineman
Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Pretty sure Cassel would demand two first round picks...but I could be wrong.

The move would help energize the fanbase and give them a proven commodity over a rookie QB....With Cherilus already drafted last year...and the pickup of another first round lineman this year, they should be able to open lanes for Kevin Smith who averages 4.1 yards with a poor line last year. I would look for them to also add at least one more O-lineman
KC put the tag on Jared Allen last year and then traded him away for the #17 pick and two- 3rd round picks.

Detroit might be able to trade Cassell for the #20 and #33 pick, then trade down with teams that want a QB like KC, San Fran, Washington, Houston, Minnesota and still get an OT and picks. I take Cassell over Stafford any day.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Save the draft picks, and skip over Cassel.

It's pretty clear that New England's objective is to have the Lions leap at Cassel and forfeit what will end up being two top 5 draft picks.

I still categorize Cassel as an unproven quarterback. Why would I waste TWO first round picks on him when I can waste ONE first round pick on Sanchez at 20.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
KC put the tag on Jared Allen last year and then traded him away for the #17 pick and two- 3rd round picks.

Detroit might be able to trade Cassell for the #20 and #33 pick, then trade down with teams that want a QB like KC, San Fran, Washington, Houston, Minnesota and still get an OT and picks. I take Cassell over Stafford any day.
That would actually be more attractive to the Pats....Most teams dont want to deal with an overall #1 contract....I dont think KC would bite, but would wait to see if he fell to them...other teams might try and leapfrog KC...if they dont want to take a gamble on Sanchez.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post

It's pretty clear that New England's objective is to have the Lions leap at Cassel and forfeit what will end up being two top 5 draft picks.

I still categorize Cassel as an unproven quarterback. Why would I waste TWO first round picks on him when I can waste ONE first round pick on Sanchez at 20.

Or.....the Lions could sign Lefty.....and keep all their draft picks?...
Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post

i agree.... if cassell pulls off that season with a team that didn't just win 18 consecutive games....maybe i'd feel better about him. i'd have no more confidence in him, then i would a solid college qb. he's not going to have the benefit of a solid line,wes welker, and randy moss.plus...what kind of contract will it take to get sign him?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

If I am the Lion GM this is my hopeful set-up going into next year.

Offense
QB: Byron Leftwich (Matt Stafford waiting in the wings)
RB: Kevin Smith
RB: Maurice Morris
FB: Kreider! But more than likely I would stick with what I have
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Touraj Houshmandzadeh
WR: Jabar Gaffney
TE: Michael Gaines (Address this early next year)
TE: Casey Kitzsimmons
LT: William Beatty
LG: Jeff Backus
C: Dan Raiola
RG: Kraig Urbik (Third round draft pick, Wisc) Ya I put a 3rd round rook on the line.. big deal.. wanna fight about it!
RT: Gosder Cherilus

Realistically, you can't break the bank on sexy free agents.

The free agents that have been added play a role well. Lefty has a Super Bowl ring and wouldn't be a bad mentor for Stafford. In the draft I took Stafford at 1 overall and Beatty at 20.

You don't rebuild a team with everyone's leftovers.

Maurice Morris is a pick-up that comes pretty cheap. He's a nice back-up for the emerging Kevin Smith.

The only real sexy free agent pick-up is Touraj. I feel like the guy has a lot left in the tank and should probably get a lot in the bank.

Johnson, Housh, and Gaffney in the slot would be a nice WR group for whoever is throwing the ball.

Logic says to take the LT with franchise QB. Take Beatty and plug him in immediately. Slide Backus to LG. (if I'm not mistaken) he is familiar with the position. Raiola isn't a bad center, and I have to give Cherilus a chance to develop.

The RG position is a COMPLETE toss-up.

EDIT: It's not winning the Super Bowl, but it's a start!