Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Lucky to win the Superbowl

Of course we were. There has to be a certain degree of luck to go all the way. This team was very good, but not great. They weren't head and shoulders above the rest of the league. The Defense was fantastic and the offense struggled for most of the year. I wouldn't say they got hot in the playoffs, but they got better and stopped turning the ball over.

As good as the Pats were last year, they were unlucky to catch the Giants playing incredible. They were also unlucky that they peaked too early and were losing momentum each week. You could almost see that train wreck coming every time they tacked on another win without having a loss.

Don't get me wrong, I think we were as good as anybody out there. Just not perfect.
What I mean by lucky is that with alot of teams having a chance win it all. We were the team that made enough plays to win. Our redzone offense was terrible most of the year, especially goal line. Our punting game was pathetic all year, which I thought might catch up to us but it never did. And our o-line was awful at the beginning of the year and got much better. But I would say this was still only an average at best o-line in the playoffs. And lastly we were lucky enough to be our healthiest at the end of the year. Most of our injuries were early, which allowed us to either heal up or gave the backup time to settle in to the starting roll. (ie: Max Starks- who I thought played quite well)

With all that said, we still were able to win it all. And I think we'll likely improve in the problem areas. We'll get 1 new starting o-lineman either early in the draft or a value priced free agent similar to Hartwig. Sepulveda will be back and our punting game will be back with him. This was our only problem area on special teams as Reed and the coverage units were great. Return game was not flashy but at least we didn't fumble it away a dozen times like in 07. And I think Mendenhall will help the running game and maybe fill the hole for short yardage situations. Goal to go from the 1 was a nightmare all year.

If we are as lucky in 09 we could win it all again.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
SC Steeler Steve
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 12276
Default Re: Lucky to win the Superbowl

Actually I personally believed after the Ravens clinching game that we were the best team in the AFC and prolly the NFL. Even after we lost to the Titans I thought we would be the team to beat in the playoffs. Perfect? hell no, but the best in the tournament? oh yea. Also I never thoght that the Titans would get by the Ravens. When the Titans stomped on the Towel and everyone was saying they shouldnt have done that cause they may have to face us again, I said "Na, they will not get past thier first Playoff game. We will end up with homefield throughout." Anyway, I dont think there was any luck at all other than the standard luck that any team needs to get through a season and postseason without any major letdowns. JMO.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

I think by the end of the year, we were definitely the team to beat
Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
xFreeWord420x
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12766

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Of course we were. There has to be a certain degree of luck to go all the way. This team was very good, but not great. They weren't head and shoulders above the rest of the league. The Defense was fantastic and the offense struggled for most of the year. I wouldn't say they got hot in the playoffs, but they got better and stopped turning the ball over.

As good as the Pats were last year, they were unlucky to catch the Giants playing incredible. They were also unlucky that they peaked too early and were losing momentum each week. You could almost see that train wreck coming every time they tacked on another win without having a loss.

Don't get me wrong, I think we were as good as anybody out there. Just not perfect.
What I mean by lucky is that with alot of teams having a chance win it all. We were the team that made enough plays to win. Our redzone offense was terrible most of the year, especially goal line. Our punting game was pathetic all year, which I thought might catch up to us but it never did. And our o-line was awful at the beginning of the year and got much better. But I would say this was still only an average at best o-line in the playoffs. And lastly we were lucky enough to be our healthiest at the end of the year. Most of our injuries were early, which allowed us to either heal up or gave the backup time to settle in to the starting roll. (ie: Max Starks- who I thought played quite well)

With all that said, we still were able to win it all. And I think we'll likely improve in the problem areas. We'll get 1 new starting o-lineman either early in the draft or a value priced free agent similar to Hartwig. Sepulveda will be back and our punting game will be back with him. This was our only problem area on special teams as Reed and the coverage units were great. Return game was not flashy but at least we didn't fumble it away a dozen times like in 07. And I think Mendenhall will help the running game and maybe fill the hole for short yardage situations. Goal to go from the 1 was a nightmare all year.

If we are as lucky in 09 we could win it all again.
What is luck? In my eyes, luck is just 1% of it. You have to have the skill and professionalism to get yourself into a position to be "lucky". Sure, that person is lucky because he won the lottery, but if he never played, he wouldn't have won. Sure, we were lucky to win the Super Bowl, but we would have never got there if it wasn't for skill.

Luck in my eyes is setting yourself up to be lucky.
xFreeWord420x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #5
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283

The definition of luck: Where opportunity meets preparation!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
chucoblack&gold
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9467

Lucky? Not IMO, these guys worked there butts off on one hell of a schedule. These guys played with all heart, lucky would be the cards that they sneaked into the playoffs at the right time.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:47 AM   #7
Mots
Water Boy

Member Number: 1059

Skill is when being lucky becomes a habit :)
Mots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,508 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think our team played great, we had our moments just like every other team but we ovecame them there hard playing got them a superbowl.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 AM   #9
Stevo
Banned

Member Number: 12164

Every team is lucky and unlucky. And the same goes for penalties and injuries. It all evens out over the season. This difference is players and coaches. I think the Steelers won because they were the best team overall.

Luck had nothing to do with Pittsburgh winning the Super Bowl.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 AM   #10
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

After the NFL came out with the Steelers '08 schedule I was thinking, man.. if we come out of this schedule to win our division we are gonna already be play-off tested. Our schedule from this past season was the toughest I ever remember the Steelers having and I knew that if we got through it and won our division that the Steelers would have a great chance to hoist the 6th super bowl trophy and the rest of course is history. They were already playoff tested and they proved they were the best team at the end of '08