Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default After review, NFL officials got it right

After review, NFL officials got it right
http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...40/-1/SPORTS05
Published: February 10. 2009 12:01AM

Anger, resentment and calls of fraud seem to follow the Steelers after every Super Bowl championship these days.

You could add sour grapes and lunacy to the list, too.

Linebacker James Harrison seems to be the target of many for his late hit in the second half on a poor, defenseless and helpless Cardinals player who got picked on by mean Mr. Harrison.

Just about everyone wanted to see Harrison thrown out of the game for allegedly throwing a punch.

For the sake of argument -- and space -- I'll grant the Steelers haters this point and reserve the right to debate it later.

What exactly would have changed if Harrison had been thrown out?

The next time the Cardinals' offense took the field they scored a touchdown with Harrison on it.

But let's look back at when Harrison was penalized.

The foul took place with about 3 minutes left in the game. Would his ejection have overturned his 100-yard interception return for a touchdown, the greatest play in Super Bowl history?

I doubt it. Although these same people -- the ones who think he never scored on the play -- probably demand it. Consider it changing the rules on the fly for the sake of an argument.

It's the same philosophy that drives those frothy-mad-at-the-mouth fans who want to grant a Cardinals touchdown at the end of the game because Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes should have been penalized for celebrating his game-winning touchdown.

Apparently those extra 15 yards would have put the Cardinals in the end zone before time expired. Except the game ended with a fumble that the Steelers recovered.

Newfound Cardinals fans wanted -- hoped for, perhaps? -- the play to be overturned. It didn't happen and conspiracy theories kicked into overdrive when they thought the play never was reviewed.

Never mind that the announcers confirmed the play was reviewed, as did the NFL after the game.

You see, you need that fringe audience to buy into the conspiracy stuff.

It's the only way they can cope with Steelers domination.

- I'm all for global warming. Anything that can make Erie a little warmer during the winter is good in my book.

Just the other day I found another reason to root for rising temperatures. John Dudley has vowed to do 100 jumping jacks on the Erie SeaWolves dugout if the thermometer hits 50 degrees or warmer on opening day.

Join me in the next two months in the Jumpin' John Drive by spewing all the chlorofluorocarbons into the atmosphere to make this moment in April happen.

RICK GREEN can be reached at 870-1891 or by e-mail at rick.green@timesnews.com.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230
Default Re: After review, NFL officials got it right

Yay! The Cardinals are my doggy!
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

the NFL like to go about reviewing everything after the fact...but for some reason, it doesn;t ever change the fact the we won the darn game!!! why can't people just let it go!? REALLY!?

Last edited by SteelCityKing; 02-11-2009 at 12:39 PM.
SteelCityKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Benzbrother
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12117

I'm just really sick of everybody we beat playing the ref card. I mean really, I would like to think that if we had lost the game we wouldn't have spent the last 2 weeks bitching about every call the refs made, whether warranted or not

Sig created by 86WARD-- thanks!
Benzbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Until next season begins no matter what is said we have not heard the last of the whining and crying about how the refs won the Steelers the game.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
steelfanman
Water Boy

Location: The biggest bandwagon in the world....Phoenix Arizona.
Member Number: 11409

You think having to read an article or two about the Super Bowl conspiracy theories is bad for you, at least you don't have to live and breath it here everyday like I do.

Please allow me quote the latest in a parade of idiots that I have to deal with every single day here (a letter to the sports editor in todays Republic):

"The only reasons and Cardinals didn't win were because of one mistake by Kurt Warner and three pathetically bad calls by the weakest officiating crew in the history of the Super Bowl"

I overheard a guy at Home Depot last weekend saying: "In my mind, the Cardinals still won the game."

When this is the kind of idiocy we have to deal with every day, no wonder I'm rubbing the win in so much!
steelfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbrother View Post
I'm just really sick of everybody we beat playing the ref card. I mean really, I would like to think that if we had lost the game we wouldn't have spent the last 2 weeks bitching about every call the refs made, whether warranted or not
We've been shafted by the zebras on several occasions...the AFCCG this year, the playoff game against the Colts in 2005, the AFCCG against the Pats* in 2001. DIfference is we sacked up and overcame the bad officiating in two of those games. And after the 2001 game we blamed ourselves (special teams play and two interceptions in the last five minutes) because that's what winners do.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

Who cares? let them whine. Last I checked there was no Ref that scored a point in any game. When all is said and done one thing remains.
We are the only NFL fan base that can buy items reading the following:
6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

The Steelers didn't win the Super Bowl. In fact, the refs not only WON the Sb for the Steelers, they are the reason we beat the Ravens three times, beat the Chargers twice, beat the Cowbys, and beat the Pats.

The refs gave us first downs and touchdowns, turnovers and tackles.

The complainers and conspiracy theorists can bite me.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

What people do not know is that dude puched James in the huhu before the camera panned in on him...........................