Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Goodbye America - It Was Fun While It Lasted

I'm not a supporter of Ann Coulter, but I must say, this article is spot on.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=30674

Goodbye, America! It Was Fun While It Lasted

by Ann Coulter
02/11/2009

It's bad enough when illiterate jurors issue damages awards in the billions of dollars because they don't grasp the difference between a million and a billion. Now it turns out the Democrats don't know the difference between a million and a trillion.

Why not make the "stimulus bill" a kazillion dollars?

All Americans who work for a living, or who plan to work for a living sometime in the next century, are about to be stuck with a trillion-dollar bill to fund yet more oppressive government bureaucracies. Or as I call it, a trillion dollars and change.

The stimulus bill isn't as bad as we had expected -- it's much worse. Instead of merely creating useless, make-work jobs digging ditches -- or "shovel-ready," in the Democrats' felicitous phrase -- the "stimulus" bill will create an endless army of government bureaucrats aggressively intervening in our lives. Instead of digging ditches, American taxpayers will be digging our own graves.

There are hundreds of examples in the 800-page "stimulus" bill, but here are just two.

First, the welfare bureaucrats are coming back.

For half a century, the welfare establishment had the bright idea to pay women to have children out of wedlock. Following the iron laws of economics -- subsidize something, you get more of it; tax it, you get less of it -- the number of children being born out of wedlock skyrocketed.

The 1996 Welfare Reform bill marked the first time any government entitlement had ever been rolled back. Despite liberal howling and foot-stomping, not subsidizing illegitimacy led, like night into day, to less illegitimacy.

Welfare recipients got jobs, as the hard-core unemployables were coaxed away from their TV sets and into the workforce. For the first time in decades, the ever-increasing illegitimacy rate stopped spiraling upward.

As proof that that welfare reform was a smashing success, a few years later, Bill Clinton started claiming full credit for the bill.

Well, that's over. The stimulus bill goes a long way toward repealing the work requirement of the 1996 Republican Welfare Reform bill and rewards states that increase their welfare caseloads by paying unwed mothers to sit home doing nothing.

Second, bureaucrats at Health and Human Services will electronically collect every citizen's complete medical records and determine appropriate medical care.

Judging by the care that the State Department took with private visa records last year, that the Ohio government took with Joe the Plumber's government records, that the Pentagon took with Linda Tripp's employment records in 1998, and that the FBI took with thousands of top secret "raw" background files in President Clinton's first term, the bright side is: We'll finally be able to find out if Bill Clinton has syphilis -- all thanks to the stimulus bill!

HHS bureaucrats will soon be empowered to overrule your doctor. Doctors who don't comply with the government's treatment protocols will be fined. That's right: Instead of your treatment being determined by your doctor, it will be settled on by some narcoleptic half-wit in Washington who couldn't get a job in the private sector.

And a brand-new set of bureaucrats in the newly created office of "National Coordinator of Health Information Technology" will be empowered to cut off treatments that merely prolong life. Sorry, Mom and Pop, Big Brother said it's time to go.

At every other workplace in the nation -- even Wal-Mart! -- workers are being laid off. But no one at any of the bloated government bureaucracies ever need fear receiving a pink slip. All 64,750 employees at the department of Health and Human Services are apparently absolutely crucial to the smooth functioning of the department.

With the stimulus bill, liberals plan to move unfirable government workers into every activity in America, where they will superintend all aspects of our lives.

Also, thanks to the stimulus bill, the private sector will gradually shrivel and die. According to the Congressional Budget Office, the cost of servicing the bill's nearly trillion-dollar debt will shrink the economy within a decade.

Robert Kennedy famously said: "There are those who look at things the way they are and ask, 'Why?' I dream of things that never were and ask, 'Why not?'"

The new liberal version is: There are those who look at things and ask, "Why on earth should the government be paying for that?" I dream of things that never were funded by the government and ask, "Why not?"

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Goodbye America - It Was Fun While It Lasted

I forget who it was, but some political analyst said, "People were so fed up with Bush that they were willing to sacrifice their future to feel good."

I don't know why anyone thinks this "stimulus" package is going to actually work, much less in the form it's in now. Big government spending programs didn't work to get us out of the Great Depression and they probably won't work now.

Anyway, like I've always said about Obama ... I don't know exactly who he's trying to help, but it sure as hell isn't me.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

America needs to invent an efficient renewable energy system. That will create a new industry that would drive the economy. We haven't done anything since the internet and before that it was the transistor, assembly line, and light bulb.
AllD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i said i would of had bush another 4 yrs before i would want obama...

and lookie what is happening... obama is killing any chance reg citizens have at a normal life.. and there children and there children

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Come on HTG, don't be so negative. Just look at it as America's 800 billion dollar going away party!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
Come on HTG, don't be so negative. Just look at it as America's 800 billion dollar going away party!
Nope - not being negative here at all. As I said - I'm not an Ann Coulter groupie, but she's right on the money with most of what she penned.

This country is going to hell in a handbasket, sadly and when all is said and done, there are going to be a LOT of people wearing on their faces.

As revs' signature sez - "Don't Blame Me - I Voted McCain".

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
As revs' signature sez - "Don't Blame Me - I Voted McCain".
This election really didn't provide a legitimate solution to this county's economic turmoil. We were going downhill fast and we were given the option to either wait for things to blow over or throw money at it. Obviously America voted for the latter, but either way this country was in for it. We're victims of irresponsible government spending and an unrealistic vision of a prosperous future that developed after WWII. Americans may be about to lose a lot of their 'nice things' but, although an economic depression can take away our pretty possessions, it can't destroy our spirit. I know it sounds poetic, but many of our great grandparents came to this country with nothing and somehow they prospered. If we can't do the same today then America was dead along time ago.

Perhaps good will come from this. Getting irresponsible CEOs out of the stock market and into the factories should teach them how much a million dollars REALLY is.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Very good article HTG, and I agree with Coulter on this one. This is one of the reasons I voted Libertarian. I don't agree with Republicans on everything, but I have more issues with Democrats as a whole. Found an article on Ron Pauls website that projected Obamas first 100 days in office to FDRs.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/article.php?view=9

This is looking to be the road that Obama is taking, and nothing good can come from it.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

This is way too depressing. I think I'd rather go talk about flinging dog poo back into the neighbors yard.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Very good article HTG, and I agree with Coulter on this one. This is one of the reasons I voted Libertarian. I don't agree with Republicans, but I have more issues with Democrats as a whole. Found an article on Ron Pauls website that projected Obamas first 100 days in office to FDRs.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/article.php?view=9

This is looking to be the road that Obama is taking, and nothing good can come from it.
a marxist is a marxist they will do alot of things that are very similar. hell the think it work once why not try again. im not a coulter fan at all, but she is right on or as close as i have seen anyone put it in writing. i think the problem is not republican or democrat any more because at times it is hard to see the difference anymore. they all think we can throw money at it and solve it.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote