Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,832 Times in 3,706 Posts
Default What would McCain/Palin be doing right now...

... to address todays problems if they had been elected?

serious question- im kinda curious how a speending freeze would play out in this economic enviornment.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,187 Times in 1,939 Posts
Default Re: What would McCain/Palin be doing right now...

Not spending my money on kick backs and pet projects.

Putting more than an extra $13 a month in my pocket then what the savior is giving us.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by MACH1; 02-12-2009 at 11:55 PM.
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

It would mean that the government would be spending money that it is saving from not funding unnecessary projects and programs. Instead, financing government operations would primarily come through the corporate income tax, excise taxes and tariffs. This in turn means no new taxes imposed on the "common" taxpayer, which in turn means more money actually being spent by consumers, which in turn means businesses can hire/keep more workers, which means people can have job security and take out loans and buy houses and cars and such, thus pumping more money into the economy, which boosts the stock market and makes everybody happy.

Whether McCain/Palin would actually DO those things, who knows, but it beats what the Democrats are planning to do to this economy, which is just borrow more money from the Federal banks to try to fix the problem, money that has interest attached to it, and will have to be payed back with taxpayers dollars.

In short: What Mach said lol.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,187 Times in 1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post

Whether McCain/Palin would actually DO those things, who knows, but it beats what the Democrats are planning to do to this economy, which is just borrow more money from the Federal banks to try to fix the problem, money that has interest attached to it, and will have to be payed back with taxpayers dollars.

In short: What Mach said lol.
Obama's going to pull a Jimmy Carter and just print more money. Which drives down the value of the dollar, those who are old enough to remember how well that turned out for Carter.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,832 Times in 3,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Not spending my money on kick backs and pet projects.

Putting more than an extra $13 a month in my pocket then what the savior is giving us.
but why would you count on the govt giving you handouts? would you not be an extra $13 richer than you were under bush?

are you saying mccain woulda been giving out even bigger handouts and pushing our children even further into debt?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

I'd like to think that they would completely and vociferously dissing the most recent "proposal". The only "stimulus" going on is for the banks and politicans with this proposal.

So far, the "change" BO promised has occurred by him "changing" his stance. Otherwise, I've seen little "change" at all.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

The government needs to just stop and step back. It will take time for things to get sorted out. Maybe years, but it will eventually happen.

Every time the government steps in to "do something" people hang back and wait to see what happens. People will save their money because they want to wait and see.

They feel that they will need to have some money to fall back on if times get hard for them.

Heck... I think that even if the government flat out lied and told everyone things are improving, half the people out there would believe it and things might start to recover sooner.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
but why would you count on the govt giving you handouts?
Geez, Tony - I can guarantee you that more than half of those who voted The Great One in based their votes on him giving them handouts. They thought he was going to pay off their cars, boats, RV's, six figure homes that they couldn't afford and..... don't forget their bling.

I don't know if the McCain/Palin plan would have worked better, but I don't think it could have been any worse!

Change We Can Believe In.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Not stopping the GITMO trials for the USS Cole bombing terrorists and not worrying about monitoring what type ammo I buy or how much of it I buy or increasing the cost of a box of ammo by about $2.50
Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
but why would you count on the govt giving you handouts? would you not be an extra $13 richer than you were under bush?

are you saying mccain woulda been giving out even bigger handouts and pushing our children even further into debt?
It's not really about counting on the government to give you handouts, it's about not wanting them to take away as much of your hard earned money and putting it towards something that isn't needed or isn't going to work. It's about not wanting to set your own money on fire or throw it directly into the garbage ya know.

I'm sure McCain/Palin would have found something to spend taxpayers money on that wasn't necessary, but it would have been to a much lesser degree than what Obama is planning.