Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,155 Times in 480 Posts
Default A key ingredient that sticks out in the '08 season.

In Tomlin's first year as coach, we all know how it all played out during the end of the '07 season as the players were completely gassed during the final stretch. Tomlin needed to put his stamp on the team and pounded them to death his first year as Chief. The result? Losing 5 of the last 8 games of the season, including the Wild Card playoff against the Jags.

This year we won the last 9 out of 10 games all the way to the Superbowl. The difference? Mike Tomlin believin' in his players, and his players believin in him. During the Cowher years you had the sense of the players not showing up in big games, or in first half of games regardless of who we were playing. So far during the Tomlin era, and esp. during this season, you felt the sense that we were over looking nobody and never came out sleeping, and if we did, there was going to be hell to pay.

Recognizing this fact leads me to believe that with Tomlin at the helm, we will look past noone and will keep the "never say die" or " I didn't hear no bell" or the "killer instinct" attitude, and I think with this mentality, we will make more runs at the Lombardi sooner than you think.
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
SuzyPeppercorn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2955
Default Re: A key ingredient that sticks out in the '08 season.

The thing that stuck out in my mind was how Tomlin reacted after Fitz got the go ahead score in the superbowl. He didn't throw a tantrum. He didn't get pissed off. He clapped as his defense left the field and started preparing the offense.

This guy expects to win every game and it shows. I love his demeanor and the way he reacts.
SuzyPeppercorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyPeppercorn View Post
The thing that stuck out in my mind was how Tomlin reacted after Fitz got the go ahead score in the superbowl. He didn't throw a tantrum. He didn't get pissed off. He clapped as his defense left the field and started preparing the offense.

This guy expects to win every game and it shows. I love his demeanor and the way he reacts.
Yep, he didn't show any signs of panic. On ESPN the other day they showed the highlights of the super bowl and what some of the players were saying on the sidelines during the game. After the Fitz touchdown the camera was on Mike and he said to his players(something along the lines of)... "if they're going to score, that's when you wanna em to score........EARLY".
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcitygal87 View Post
Yep, he didn't show any signs of panic. On ESPN the other day they showed the highlights of the super bowl and what some of the players were saying on the sidelines during the game. After the Fitz touchdown the camera was on Mike and he said to his players(something along the lines of)... "if they're going to score, that's when you wanna em to score........EARLY".
No panic whatsoever. It's almost as if we expected it and welcomed the burden, no problem. 60 minutes of football comes a long way, and no games are won with 2:37 on the clock. We've been doing it all year, and it showed by the way we went out and performed that last drive deep in our zone, and right away against a 1st and 20. We handled it beautifully.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Tomlin is great. I saw that comment he made about them scoring early. That was so Solid as a head coach. "Good, now we have to time to score out own touchdown" Kind of thinking.

I also like that he doesn't appear to be the kind of guy that's going to have the type of loyalty to players that allows them to walk all over him or get away with crap off the field. Also he will make moves when they are needed when guys start to be unable to perform.

That safety, Smith, with the big mouth, I was a fan of his til he stopped progressing. He hasn't gotten better and can't get on the field, that kid is gone because Tomlin see's him as a piece of the machine that is broken. He doesn't seem like the type that will care when you were drafted or what you did last year. Here and Now, get it done or get out of the way. We roll on with or without you.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Tomlin is great. I saw that comment he made about them scoring early. That was so Solid as a head coach. "Good, now we have to time to score out own touchdown" Kind of thinking.

I also like that he doesn't appear to be the kind of guy that's going to have the type of loyalty to players that allows them to walk all over him or get away with crap off the field. Also he will make moves when they are needed when guys start to be unable to perform.

That safety, Smith, with the big mouth, I was a fan of his til he stopped progressing. He hasn't gotten better and can't get on the field, that kid is gone because Tomlin see's him as a piece of the machine that is broken. He doesn't seem like the type that will care when you were drafted or what you did last year. Here and Now, get it done or get out of the way. We roll on with or without you.
Agree. He has many great press conferences with awesome punch lines..but the greatest line he's said yet was..

"Every day I come to work I walk past 5 Lombardi Trophy's.. not 5 rushing titles" in the wake of Willies rant to the media of getting away from Steelers' Football.

The mans pure genius the way he words things.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Agree. He has many great press conferences with awesome punch lines..but the greatest line he's said yet was..

"Every day I come to work I walk past 5 Lombardi Trophy's.. not 5 rushing titles" in the wake of Willies rant to the media of getting away from Steelers' Football.

Or When Ben started to take weeks off practice because of his shoulder leading to crappy play, till Tomlin said to Ben, either you practice or Byron is starting, Didnt hear one word from Bens shoulder afterwards at all, or even if it got hurt, Ben hobbled his arm to throw good games.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post

wrong. he walks by 6 Lombardi trophies.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post
wrong. he walks by 6 Lombardi trophies.
Touche'
Old 02-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

He's a clever guy. I like him. We did good with that pick...

I think we had success because Tomlin didn't work his players to death early. Kept them sharp but rested. Kept the majority of the hitting on the field.