Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Remembering Bradshaw - BTSC post

Found this post today on Behind the Steel Curtain (I've left some of it off for length, but the link to the whole thing is below). Wow, did it bring back memories for me - my childhood memories of Steeler football Sundays are so similar, except you can substitute for the roast, a pot of mom's spaghetti sauce cooking on the stove when I got home from Mass. And Payday's on Route 51 in Elizabeth...I lived about an hour south of Pittsburgh, and Route 51 and the Liberty Tubes was how we got into town. Payday's was always my road marker that meant we were over halfway there! Thought yinz might enjoy the post:

Remembering Bradshaw
by MarkJoel66 on Feb 13, 2009 1:10 AM EST

Recently, there was a small discussion about Terry Bradshaw. For all those members of the Nation not old enough to have seen him play... will you allow me to take a (long) walk down memory lane?

I became a Steeler fan in the parking lot of Payday's Grocery store, on route 51 outside of Elizabeth. (Sadly, the ol store is closed now). That is where I was waiting in the car with my father, who had the Steelers game on -- something very rare for us in those days.

The Date: December 23, 1972. The infamous date of the "Immaculate Reception."

Before that, we never really watched the Steelers. When we were kids playing football in the back yard, we were more likely to pretend to be Don Merideth, than Terry Bradshaw. That didn't even change after the Immaculate Reception.

In 1974, Terry Bradshaw lost the starting job to Joe Gilliam. Bradshaw had been too inconsistent, and Chuck Noll announced a new starter. For six games Bradshaw sat on the bench. But, after a 4-1-1 start, Noll reversed his decision.

Terry Bradshaw won back his job, and finished 6-2. The Steelers finished 10-3-1 and ended the season in the Super Bowl. They won, but Franco was the MVP. Terry did enough to win, but had not become a Hall of Famer that day. That would start with the next Super Bowl.. and really take hold during the third

But, in 1975, things started to change -- both for the Steelers, and for my family. Now, Sundays became scheduled around the game. My Mother would put a roast in the oven, before church, and it was scheduled to come out at half time. We would watch the first half, and then get the food and watch the second half while eating. The Steelers became part of our family, our routine, and our life.

And now when we kids played football in the back yard, we would be wearing Terry Bradshaw Jerseys. The kids took to him much faster than the Sportswriters. But pretending to be Bradshaw was hard work.

He threw the ball like no one else. He GRIPPED the ball like no one else. Look closely and you can see him put his index finger on the end of the ball. He threw it like a javelin. And we all tried to do the same.

But the thing that really set Bradshaw apart was the flick of his wrist. Most quarterbacks will throw using their shoulder (Brett Favre) or their arm (Tom Brady). With Bradshaw it was his elbow and wrist. The guy had forearms like Popeye, and when he threw the ball, it seemed almost casual until he snapped that forearm forward and the wrist flicked… then the ball zipped out like it was shot from a gun.

It was that movement that enabled him to make throws no one had any business making. Throwing across his body was no great trick. Throwing on the run – easy. A simple flick and the ball went spinning away like a rock from a slingshot. You know how a quarterback will sometimes throw the ball away by throwing it out of bounds? Bradshaw would throw it out of the end zone. Thirty yards away… just a flick of the wrist… and it was in the stands. Hard to call intentional grounding on that one.

The QB was different then. For one thing, there was no "in the grasp" rule. The play was alive until the QB was down. And Bradshaw didn’t go down easily. He didn’t have the elusiveness that Ben Roethlisberger has… but he had the size, and he didn’t go down easy.

This frustrated defenses. It wasn’t like Fran Tarkenton, who would scramble around and look to make a play. Bradshaw would step aside, and make the play while defenders clung to him from all sides.

Sometimes, this lead to defenders taking out their frustrations on Bradhsaw when they did get him. The most famous of those was Turkey Jones of the Cleveland Browns, who literally picked him up and drove him – head first – into the ground. (Bradshaw would miss several games, but the Defense rose to the occasion and the team once more made the Super Bowl.)

But Bradshaw was tough. Remember Ben giving the fans a thumbs up from the stretcher and then returning two weeks later to lead the Steelers against the Chargers?

Bradshaw was knocked out of the game against the Raiders in 1980, carried off on a stretcher, and returned later in the same game. This prompted Myron Cope to proclaim: "Yoi! There are two Bradshaws. And they wheel one off and then switch them and bring the other guy on!"

Of course, everyone knows about the Super Bowls. I’ll let others talk about them. The NFL films speak for themselves.

But the amazing thing was Terry’s "Aw shucks" attitude belied his intelligence. Hollywood Henderson (of the Dallas Cowboys) said of Terry (during a pre-Super Bowl press conference): "Terry Bradshaw couldn’t spell CAT if you spotted him the C and the A."

Meanwhile, he was calling every play, while the brilliant Roger Staubach was sent in his from the Sidelines. Terry Bradshaw was a true general on the battlefield.

I heard Bradshaw talking about that once. He said: "We didn’t have huddles. We had debates. Franco telling me he wants the ball. Stallworth saying he saw something in the defender. Swann just leaning over and smiling at me… "

But in the end, it was Bradshaw who made the call. When he caught the Cowboys in a blitz and called a draw play up the middle for Franco… that was Bradshaw. When he dropped into his own end zone in the Super Bowl and launched a 50 yard pass to Swann – that was Bradshaw’s decision.

And none of us had to be spotted the M and the V to know what Bradshaw was after he beat the Cowboys for the second time: MVP. It was fitting.

And yet… he was never embraced by the city like he should have been. We were spoiled by the 70s. We didn’t know what we had…until the 80s and 90s came.

Bradshaw almost left several times. He had a rocky relationship with Chuck Noll. He was booed by the fans. (Some even cheered when he was injured once during a game.) He went through a couple of divorces. Hollywood tried to claim him. So did Nashville.

He did a pilot for a TV show with Mel Tillis. He said at the time that if the show were a hit, he would leave football and pursue acting full time. That prompted the Houston Oiler’s head coach, Bum Phillips, to urge everyone in Houston to watch the show.

"We’ll make it a hit."

There was no doubt in Houston’s mind how important Bradshaw was to Pittsburgh.

But, the Houston conspiracy didn’t work. The pilot flopped, and Terry stayed.

This was 1981 and the Super Bowls were behind him, though no one could know it at the time. But I am glad he stayed because it set up, in my opinion, the best game of his pro career.

December 10, 1983

Bradshaw has missed the whole season with elbow problems. That magical flick of the wrist was gone. He could no longer zip the ball effortlessly. The Steelers had been stumbling towards the playoffs under quarterback Cliff Stoudt.

But they had faltered down the stretch. After jumping out to a 9-2 start, they had lost 3 in a row. The playoffs were slipping from their grasp, and the Steeler Nation was restless. And, of course, they did what they always did: They blamed the quarterback.

Cliff Stoudt gave amusing interviews ("I think when I get home, I am going to put on a tape of the game and boo myself…") But talk was cheap. We needed a win to assure a play-off berth.

I remember listening to talk radio in the Burgh the experts patiently explained that it wasn’t Stoudt’s fault. "You have to remember, it isn’t like he has Swann and Stallworth to throw to. He has guys named Sweeny and Capers." Part of what made Bradshaw great was his receivers, conventional wisdom said. In fact I heard one analyst say: "There were two reasons Bradshaw was a great quarterback, and their names were Swann and Stallworth."

But… we needed a win. And, fate was moving against us. It turned out that the game against the New York Jets was going to be the final game in New York city. Ever. It was the last football game ever played at Shea stadium.

All of the greats were going to be there. It was an emotional time for the team, and they were determined to go out with a win. (Let me put this in perspective for you… in 2000, when the Steelers played their final game at 3 Rivers, a not very good Steelers team trounced the Redskins 24-3).

A week before the game at Shea, the Steeler Nation got some welcome news: Bradshaw would be under center for the first time that season.

Oh man! It was all anyone could talk about.

Of course, the talking heads explained all of the reasons why Terry would not be sharp. And everyone wondered if he could even throw the deep ball – his signature. And don’t forget that he wasn’t getting Swann and Stallworth back… he’d have those same guys named Sweeny and Capers.

And, you could tell in the warm-ups… Terry didn’t have it. He couldn’t pop the ball like he once did. All game long, those tight pretty spirals were absent. His passes fluttered like ducks, with a fraction of his usual velocity.

And it did not matter.

He marched the Steelers down the field like it was a scrimmage against a high school team. Again and again… the Jets were absolutely powerless to stop him.

continued at link:
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ering-bradshaw
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617
Default Re: Remembering Bradshaw - BTSC post

People seem to forget how badly Steelers fans hated him for his first few seasons.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Thank John Madden for telling Bradshaw to stick with the Steelers after Joe Gilliam was named starter. I bet alot of us either didnt know that or forgot it.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Morgan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12966

And I gotta tell you, that restaurant, Esparza's... it's fantastic. Best Tex-Mex in Grapevine. It's about 10 minutes from my house. :)

Fantastic article... I've never run into TB at Esparza's but I guess I'll be going there more often now... LOL
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
1st&Goal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8802

Nice article. I remember trying to throw a football like Bradshaw, with my finger on the tip of the ball, while playing catch with my brother. What a joke ! It was impossible ! I heard once that Bradshaw could huck a ball 70 yards. Flatfooted
1st&Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
SC Steeler Steve
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 12276

I remember Bradshaw from a kids perspective, and I absolutely LOVED him. He was my hero and a God to me as a 11 year old kid. I thought back in those days that the Steelers were suppose to win the SB every year because they had Bradshaw and no one else did. I was angry with Swann because I felt he left the game to soon, of course now as an adult I have a better understanding of his decision. I have often said if I was given the opportunity to meet anyone in this world that I wanted too, I would pick Terry Bradshaw,
Old 02-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

What an AWESOME read, jazzy - thank you!

Brad was unappreciated here in the Burgh by a lot of Steelers fans and I don't think many of them realized how much he took on his shoulders (calling his own plays, etc.) or how tumultuous his relationship was with Coach Noll. No one ever booed Franco, Rocky, Swanny, Stallworth - it was always Brad who got the blame (and the boos) when the O sputtered, which wasn't often during their Super Bowl years, but did happen. I will NEVER forget Steelers fans at TRS cheering when Bradshaw was hit hard and injured. I couldn't blame him when he angrily walked out of Pittsburgh.

I remember Paydays very well! We used to go there after Mass on Sunday mornings if we weren't headed to a Steelers game, as it was in the opposite direction of dahntahn Pittsburgh on Route 51. I live only about 6 miles from there and I really miss that place!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
SC Steeler Steve
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 12276

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
What an AWESOME read, jazzy - thank you!

Brad was unappreciated here in the Burgh by a lot of Steelers fans and I don't think many of them realized how much he took on his shoulders (calling his own plays, etc.) or how tumultuous his relationship was with Coach Noll. No one ever booed Franco, Rocky, Swanny, Stallworth - it was always Brad who got the blame (and the boos) when the O sputtered, which wasn't often during their Super Bowl years, but did happen. I will NEVER forget Steelers fans at TRS cheering when Bradshaw was hit hard and injured. I couldn't blame him when he angrily walked out of Pittsburgh.

I remember Paydays very well! We used to go there after Mass on Sunday mornings if we weren't headed to a Steelers game, as it was in the opposite direction of dahntahn Pittsburgh on Route 51. I live only about 6 miles from there and I really miss that place!
I never knew TB and CN didnt get along well. You might win one SB without a great QB (the ravens with dilfer) But you wont win 4. TB was a great QB, I personally am very glad he was a Steeler.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

great read thanks for posting! i just hope some fans realize we have another great QB in Ben!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

That was a great article...Brad was a god to me as a kid, but what Steeler of the 70's wasn't. I grew up watching them...and for whatever reason, no Steelers team will ever be what those 70's teams were to me.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote