Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Another take on the first pick in the draft

After talking to Devilsdancefloor....He got me thinking about the possibility of taking a someone other than an Offensive Tackle at #1.

Hear me out.

Our greatest needs (in my opinion) are O-line, DE, DT, and Safety......and Cornerback if we lose B-mac

Now the way I see it...you have to eliminate players that dont fit our system...so;

Offensive Tackels like Jason Smith, William Beatty, and Jamon Meridith...Centers like Max Unger and Antoine Caldwell might be eliminated from consideration due to being labeled "zone-blockers"

DE's like Brian Orakpo, Michael Johnson, and Robert Ayers are more 4-3 DE's.....and dont fit the 3-4 DE system

DT's like Peira Jerry and Sen'Derrick Marks are three-technique tackles and are not true NT's....

Soooo...who fits our system ,will be available at the end of the first...and will be Value at #32?

Offensive Tackle: Possible none!!!!!! Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith, Michael Oher and Eben Britton will all be gone....The next OT's that I see that would fit our system are Fenuki Tupou and Troy Kropog who are 2nd round talents.

Offensive Guard: Duke Robinson...Thats it...noone else...and he could be gone.

Center: Alex Mack?...Beginning to think that he will probably gone..would be GREAT value if there, but dont count on it... Eric Wood...would be considered a reach but I would have no problem with us grabbing him...he is a stud....He makes my list..

Safety: Louis Delmas...Good Value...a good possibility.

Cornerback: Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis will be gone...Alphonso Smith and DJ Moore may be available... but again ...CB us not a major need if we sign B-mac.

Defensive End: Tyson Jackson who is considered a 1st round talent and has proto-typical size and strength to play 3-4 DE....and Jaron Gilbert who is flying up draft charts and should be considered a second round talent by draft day...but would be considered a reach.

Defensive Tackle: None...After BJ Raji...There is no value at NT in the 1st...Ron Brace is a possibility in the late 2nd.

By my assessment that means our first round pick will most likely (might) come down to DE Tyson Jackson...Safety Louis Delmas...or OC Wood.

thoughts?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579
Default Re: Another take on the first pick in the draft

delmas. please and thank you. the guy has been shooting up draftboards and should follow suit and become a stud player like greg jennings and the oft injured tony scheffler (who shows talent)...

by no means do i expect to see him play this year if we do draft him..

but he'll be a very nice replacement for ryan clark in a few years... on film (only youtube highlights) he is fast and is polamalu esque as he flies into the hole to wrap up a ball carrier... however i also see him taking bad angles at times and not showing proper tackling technique as he tries to use natural athleticism over technique...
Old 02-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

I would probably go with Wood, even if he may be considered a reach. I would not complain to much if it was Delmas though.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,509 Times in 1,524 Posts

LLT......you've been checkin out mine and gonzo's consensus mocks......
i agree with ya ....pickins are gonna be slim at 32 .....if center is on the shpping list this year...they should go with wood,

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

the steelers should BPA anything along the OL or DL.

Quote:
might be eliminated from consideration due to being labeled "zone-blockers"
doesn't zierlein run a zone blocking scheme?

Quote:
Duke Robinson...Thats it...noone else...and he could be gone
loadholt could play G. IMO, he is better suited there than T.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,509 Times in 1,524 Posts

i think the steelers should wait till next years draft to seriously look for DE's & NT .......there should be an abundance of good 3-4 prospects in the 2010 draft.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

I'm not impressed by non-Raji DL in this year's draft, while it seems likely that a quality OL of some type will be there when we pick.

I'm not sold on Tyson Jackson--I prefer Moala, but I think that in a choice between Moala and a comparable OL at #32 we have to go OL.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

I just do not see Mack or Unger making it to pick 32 with The titans & titans picking before us. They both have really good centers,But both are entering their 14th seasons i beleive and Birk is a FA. I think the last really quality 1st rd tackles good off the board at detriot & pilly picks. Why not take tyson jackson in the first (but if duke robinson is there we take him in a heartbeat i hope) and the 2nd go with woods? And if we dont resign Im in the dog house smith look at patrick chung? From what i have seen he is a good saftey i dont think he will replace troy or ryan, but a few years i think he will look very good in B&G!

3rd rd pick andy kemp?

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:19 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
doesn't zierlein run a zone blocking scheme?
Not really...it is an improvised power blocking scheme that relies a lot on pulls from the Guard position

Quote:
loadholt could play G. IMO, he is better suited there than T
Good observation....I inadvertantly left Loadholt off my list of OT's that will be available in the 2nd...

I like Trevor Canfield as a Guard with the 3rd round pick....he got into some legal trouble last year...but word is that he has changed his personal life.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,791 Times in 895 Posts

The only thing that I wonder with Delmas is if he has decent range as a FS. Gonna have to see what kind of speed he has at the combine.

He is a great hitter and seemingly instinctive,............but so is Anthony Smith. Plus, he is kind of small at 197lbs. Delmas isnt worth the #32 pick IMO. Here are some concerns from his NFL scouting report.

Negatives: Lacks the bulk most teams prefer. ... Likes to evade blockers, rather than taking them on and shedding blocks. ... Resorts to low tackles and will, occasionally, duck his head and swipe. ... Can be more pesky than forceful as a tackler and will get dragged, at times. ... Aggressive defender; can be beaten with play-action. ... Questionable level of competition.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote