Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Smith speaks about free agency

Saturday, February 14, 2009
Smith speaks about free agency
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot....ee-agency.html

Steelers free agent-to-be offensive tackle Marvel Smith was on Sirius's "Movin' The Chains with hosts Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan Friday.

Here's what the discussion was:

Host, Pat Kirwan: "Marvel, you know free agency is right around the corner. You're going to be a free agent tackle. I'm going to assume you're going to hit the open market. You know the first question I'm going to ask [is] 'How much gas is left in your tank?' Because you have to sell that idea. Because if you got three in you, I got the contract waiting for you."

Marvel Smith: "I'm actually feeling really good. It was difficult going through the injury but, like I said, its probably a blessing that it happened the way it did because I almost didn't play the whole season so it feels like my body is that much more fresher because I had a lot more rest time or what not. And now, it was weird because at the Super Bowl it was a little more frustrating because I felt healthy enough to play. But that was the cards I was dealt. So right now I'm feeling healthy, I'm ready to go, I'm out here working out, training everything already so I'm feeling pretty good."

Pat Kirwan: "All three tackles for the Steelers are going to be hitting free agency in some form or another. Would you like to go back to Pittsburgh? Have they talked to you about coming back?"

Marvel Smith: "I would definitely love to be back in Pittsburgh. I've been there my whole career. So I would definitely love to retire as a Steeler if that's possible. There's definitely been some talk about trying to bring me back and seeing what it's going to take to do that. So my first choice would definitely be Pittsburgh and if that doesn't work out I'll definitely see what other options are out there."

Host, Tim Ryan: "Any hankering to get back to the west coast?"

Marvel Smith: "I was born and raised in Oakland, California. So for me if it didn't, for whatever reason I can't go back to Pittsburgh, and I've been on the east coast my whole career, I would definitely love to be back on the west coast. No doubt about that."

Tim Ryan: "Realistically, where do you see your market value with the situation you're in right now versus the other free agent tackles that are out there?"

Marvel Smith: "To tell you the truth I haven't really paid much attention to it. Talking to my agent there's definitely some interest out there and we'll get a better idea of what that is after the teams go through the combine and sit down and look at there personnel and stuff like that. I really don't judge myself amongst the other guys. I'm just trying to get myself back playing the type of football I know I can play, and go out there and play at the level that I want to."

Tim Ryan: "When healthy - and if you're healthy and you sound like you are, at least getting close - do you still feel like you're an elite left tackle in the pro game?"

Marvel Smith: "No doubt about it. Anybody that's out there in free agency - I don't want to sound, I don't want my comments taken out of context or whatever - but if I'm healthy there's nobody in free agency that's going to be a better left tackle then I am."
Posted by Dale Lolley at 11:08 PM
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338
Default Re: Smith speaks about free agency

I guess we will see want we?...
Old 02-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Sign him to a 2 yr deal with incentives. He plays he gets paid.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

We really can't forget that marvel was a very good LT for us for years. Only worrisome thing is really his health, can't have your left tackle going down at the middle of the season two years in a row

I for one would be happy to let him go, but I have a feeling he'll stay since starks will probably get a big contract in FA

Quote:
sounds fair to me
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,905 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
I think he will want a 3-4 year deal and if they restructure it correctly, they can make it more cap friendly to release him after a couple seasons.

Smith is 30 and I think Starks is 27 years old. Really not that much different in age and Smith is the much better LT. The only thing is the back issues and I am sure the Steelers medical staff knows his situation very well since Steeler team doctors deal with him.

If the money is equal between the 2, I still would want Smith. I think Starks is gonna get a lot of attention because he is younger and teams think he has greater potential. Sure hope they do something either way in the next couple weeks before free agency gets going.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
GodofGridiron
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10597

Cut his ass............let him walk. Its been 2 seasons with back issues and im not ready to deal with a third for a plus-30 Tackle. And even if that back is much better than it was last year im quite sure Marvel will never be the same player he once was.

Let him walk. We have to move on.
GodofGridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Iron Gut
Water Boy

Member Number: 10342

Marvel Smith: "No doubt about it. Anybody that's out there in free agency - I don't want to sound, I don't want my comments taken out of context or whatever - but if I'm healthy there's nobody in free agency that's going to be a better left tackle then I am."

I understand that Marvel has to sell himself, but I think he forgot about
Gross with his statement there. that said, Gross will break the bank for some team. Marvel will be lucky to get 4/mil season and any deal he gets will be extremely incentive laden.
Iron Gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
All things considered, that's a GIANT "if." Buh-bye, Marvel.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I have heard Marvel talk about his back problems as if they are a thing of the past for the last 4 years...but to put things in perspective, he only played 5 more games then I did last year.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Thanks for your contributions Marvel.

It's time to cut the rope on this one. We need to move on.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote