Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Talking Bradshaw marvels at Roethlisberger's poise

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/story/11334713

Terry Bradshaw roared at the question.

"Is Ben Roethlisberger more mature than I was at 26?" he repeated. "He's more mature than I am now!"

Bradshaw won his first of four Super Bowls with the Steelers when he was 26, and the excitement/debate has already begun. With two Super Bowl titles, Ben is now halfway to Bradshaw. Do they compare?

"He is far more accurate than I was," Bradshaw said, "but I was faster. And I was big, but never this big. I played my first Super Bowl at 208 pounds. Ben's about 260."

Hard to believe Terry would exaggerate -- 240 is more like it. But both men have been known for being hard to bring down. While Bradshaw was more elusive, Ben has been the Plymouth Rock, just standing there when being assaulted on all sides.

"He's so athletic, so strong mentally and physically," Bradshaw said. "At that age, I couldn't even warm him up."

Another slight exaggeration.

Bradshaw threw for 27,989 yards, winning 107 games for the Steelers between 1970 and 1983. None of the Steelers quarterbacks who followed him came close to his combination of skills -- not Bubby Brister nor Mark Malone nor Tommy Maddox nor Neil O'Donnell. Even Kordell Stewart, whose rushing ability equaled his arm, combined for only 15,889 yards, second in Steelers history. (i can wait until ben passes the experiment `DDF)

Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl at age 23. Back then, he admitted, he was, "along for the ride." The ride was a bus, and everybody piled on to get Jerome Bettis a ring before he retired. Roethlisberger was particularly disappointing, with a 22.6 passer rating -- the lowest in history for the winning quarterback.

This time, Big Ben was in charge.

Ben Roethlisberger is one-up on Terry Bradshaw in Super Bowl last-minute TD passes. (AP) "He's insanely competitive," defensive end Brett Keiser said. "Never, never bet against him."

Teammates say he won't even hold the door open for them if it means they'll beat him to somewhere he's going.

It was evident in the fourth quarter. Bradshaw, the Hall of Fame standard by which all Steelers quarterbacks are measured, never had to bring his team back the length of the field with a world championship on the line. Big Ben was ready.

Roethlisberger's 6-yard symphony to Santonio Holmes with 35 seconds left to rally Pittsburgh to a 27-23 victory against Arizona finished an equally breathtaking eight-play drive from the Steelers 22, in which Roethlisberger completed five of seven passes and scrambled for 4 yards.

He told his team it was "now or never," and though the dramatic pass to Holmes had a fancy name, Roethlisberger said it was basically, "drop back, scramble right, scramble left, then find someone open."

He said this drive, this victory, was deeply satisfying, and that the touchdown will "probably be remembered for decades to come."

Roethlisberger's passion and determination, like Bradshaw's, fit the franchise and its people.

"We're both tough, both hard-headed," Bradshaw said. "Pittsburgh loves that."

Bradshaw had the support of two Hall of Fame receivers, Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. It is unlikely that either of Roethlisberger's targets, Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes (glorified as he is right now), is headed to Canton.

"We both know that our defense is the cornerstone of the Pittsburgh Steelers," Bradshaw said. "Always has been."

Bradshaw's teams sent four defensive players to the Hall of Fame -- Mt. Rushmore names like Greene, Ham, Blount and Lambert. It remains to be seen if Troy Polamalu or James Harrison will be so decorated.

Neither player should be defined by his statistics. Bradshaw went to only three Pro Bowls in his glorious career. Ben has been to one. Instead, both will be remembered for their punishing plays and the punishment they endured.

"Ben has much more poise than I had at that age," Bradshaw said, "but there's one place we're exactly the same: we're both leaders."

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Bradshaw marvels at Roethlisberger's poise

Great article. Still give the edge to Bradshaw in leadership ability as he truly did call all his own plays, but Ben's catching up quick.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Nice read.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

That is some high praise from Bradshaw. I hope Ben understands just how much he is being praised right now.

I keep forgetting Ben is 26, which means he probably has another 10 years left with us. I hope to see at least another 3-4 rings from him in that time!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Ben calls some of the plays during 2 minute drills. He's smart and knows what works.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
That is some high praise from Bradshaw. I hope Ben understands just how much he is being praised right now.
I really think he does, preacher, and I've given that a lot of thought myself. He's a special, special player, no doubt about it.

He's just one of the reasons we are the luckiest football fans in the world, albeit one of the biggest ones. I'm still riding on a cloud, myself.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,755 Times in 1,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

I keep forgetting Ben is 26, which means he probably has another 10 years left with us. I hope to see at least another 3-4 rings from him in that time!!
I hope your right. But the front office needs to keep a good team around him in the coming years.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2703

Let's just hope that we never have to be subjected to a full shot of Big Ben's 50+ year old ass on TV like we were with Bradshaw in tonight's "Failure to Launch" replay............awful. just awful!
bratsinmybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,350 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It is great to see Ben ranked right there with Bradshaw.I beleive Ben will pass him for the most yards by a steeler quarterback before he is done.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:28 AM   #10
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratsinmybelly View Post
Let's just hope that we never have to be subjected to a full shot of Big Ben's 50+ year old ass on TV like we were with Bradshaw in tonight's "Failure to Launch" replay............awful. just awful!
The nekkid room.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote