Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #41
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: UNC Tar-Heels Football Schedule '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
You're absolutely a fair weather fan. You question Tressel-ball, which won in the 50's and won in 2002. So now the formula fails? Because you say so?

Pittsburgh won with the same formula: Play great defense and run the football to open up the passing game. Play solid ST's. Tress's achiles heel is that he hasn't recruited OL and DL like he should, paying too much attention to big name skill players. He also ignored the QB position. it's also foolish to say that he hasn't adapted. He ran a spread option-type offense for Troy Smith.

To address if OSU can win w/o Wells an company, the Bucks don't rebuild, they reload. They'll be just fine.

You're a typical "what have you done lately for me" wagoner, who jumps on and off depending on the W-L column. Every team has them, though, so no big deal...

with offenses going to more of a spread look, idk think that some def that teams usually play will work effectivly much longer

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #42
steelerbuckeye
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13130

Quote:
You're absolutely a fair weather fan. You question Tressel-ball, which won in the 50's and won in 2002. So now the formula fails? Because you say so?

Pittsburgh won with the same formula: Play great defense and run the football to open up the passing game. Play solid ST's. Tress's achiles heel is that he hasn't recruited OL and DL like he should, paying too much attention to big name skill players. He also ignored the QB position. it's also foolish to say that he hasn't adapted. He ran a spread option-type offense for Troy Smith.

To address if OSU can win w/o Wells an company, the Bucks don't rebuild, they reload. They'll be just fine.

You're a typical "what have you done lately for me" wagoner, who jumps on and off depending on the W-L column. Every team has them, though, so no big deal...
Wow you really don't know what you're talking about

1. Tressel recruited 2 of the top 5 OL last year and another 4 star who is suppose to be a stud and put one of them at center half way through the year to replace Cordle (who is one of the top centers in the country). As for DL, he also recruited Robert Rose 2 years ago who was a 5 star recruit. Also, see theand 09 recruiting class. #10 DE in the country, #24 in the state of Ohio (who turned down offers from Vanderbilt, Boston College and Tennessee) and 3 other top 20 DE in the state. Oh and let's not forget to mention that last year he recruited 4 top tier defensive lineman one of which who happened to be considered the #4 best overall athlete in the country.

2. Ignored the QB position? How long has it been since you've watched OSU? Justin Zwick was the #1 QB in Ohio and 1 of the top in the country at the time he was recruited, Smith wasn't expected to even be a QB as he was brought in as an athlete, Ginn played QB in the Alamo Bowl for the purpose of red-shirting Boeckman so he could keep him for the long run and then what did he do come Boeckman's 6th senior year? Recruited the #1 QB in the country and the most hyped player to come out since Joe McKnight.

What have you done for me lately is the correct answer. There is NO excuse for Tressel to be outcoached in the way he does with the depth of talent that he has on that team. The only other team that gets outcoached with that kind of depth of talent is Miami and that's because they always have the toughest OOC opponents every season and Coker left Shannon with a group of inexperienced talent. As far as BCS goes, Stoops is the only other comparison and ask any Oklahoma fan if they feel the same way about him as I do Tressel and more than likely 98% will agree.

and you're still very wrong because I am an Ohio State alum that is tired of watching my team lose games they should be winning and you're obviously either too blind or just have too much homerism to admit when someone is getting out-coached.
steelerbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #43
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Tress started recruiting top lineman in the recent past, but REALLY started emphasizing it after the Florida debacle. You expect them all to walk in as 19 year olds and unseat the juniors and seniors? Do YOU know anything about college football? I specifically addressed these things, and you are actually now trying to piggyback on MY facts with your spin.

Nice try.

Zwick was the top rated QB in Ohio? So what. How many pro QB's has OSU produced before and since Tress? He hasn't placd the emphasis on it necessary. Once again, calling attention to the fact that Smith took Zwick's job proves my point, not yours. One top recruit in 10 years (Pryor notwithstanding) sucks.

Tress has put together a top 5 program perennially. Top 5 year in and year out. Only an IDIOT would expect any college team to win the NCG every year, but there are a TON if idiot Bucknuts. There are 118 other programs who would understandably KILL to contend for a NC every year, let alone play in several of them in one decade.

I'm also trying to think of the last game they really should have won but didn't. Florida? Nope. They were DOMINATED along both lines, but, oh wait, I already pointed that out.
Outcoached? Yup, but they weren't winning that game either way. Their OL had their ass handed to them.

LSU? No way. Tigers were the better team.

Illinois last year? Sure, but EVERY team gets upset now and then. Or are the Buckeyes NEVER supposed to lose according to you? Be immune to upsets?

PSU this year? Perhaps. But Pryor was held in check, and the kid's young.

I bet you're one of those guys who thinks Pryor will suck, too, because he didn't put up Heisman numbers as a true frosh.

You're like a lot of guys around here...if your team doesn't win every game by 35, put up 400 in the air and 300 on the ground, and hold the other team to a shutout and negative yards, you bitch.

But, hey, that's cool. Football is for all kinds of fans, no matter what their level of understanding of the nuances of the game is...
Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #44
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

Quote:
Illinois last year? Sure, but EVERY team gets upset now and then. Or are the Buckeyes NEVER supposed to lose according to you? Be immune to upsets?
if osu was immune to upsets.. i would bet that USC would be all over the program trying to obtain that immunity.. lol

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #45
steelerbuckeye
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Tress started recruiting top lineman in the recent past, but REALLY started emphasizing it after the Florida debacle. You expect them all to walk in as 19 year olds and unseat the juniors and seniors? Do YOU know anything about college football? I specifically addressed these things, and you are actually now trying to piggyback on MY facts with your spin.
Good job on totally dodging the issue. You say that Tressel never recruited top linemen. You're wrong about that too. Boone, Kirk Barton, Steve Rehring and multiple other strong offensive linemen (if you wanna call them that) were recruited before the whole Florida debacle. Tressel was also working with some of Cooper's recruits as well and last time I checked that was who he won the last national championship with.

Quote:
Zwick was the top rated QB in Ohio? So what. How many pro QB's has OSU produced before and since Tress? He hasn't placd the emphasis on it necessary. Once again, calling attention to the fact that Smith took Zwick's job proves my point, not yours. One top recruit in 10 years (Pryor notwithstanding) sucks.
Who gives a shit about whether or not they've turned out to be great pros? Name 1 terrible OSU QB they've recruited in the last 15 years. The closest one I can think of was Bellisari and Zwick (who was bad more or less because of the style of offense and not so much that he was a bad QB). Also, OSU has never been a pro-QB school. Purdue, Notre Dame, USC, Alabama;etc are pro-QB schools. Knocking OSU for not having one be successful in the pros is just LOL. I guess by that logic, Florida can be discounted as a top threat team year after year.

Quote:
I'm also trying to think of the last game they really should have won but didn't. Florida? Nope. They were DOMINATED along both lines, but, oh wait, I already pointed that out.
Outcoached? Yup, but they weren't winning that game either way. Their OL had their ass handed to them.
Are you serious? Florida didn't have near the depth that OSU did and OSU had twice the speed on offense. Bad things happen when you let undefeated streaks get to your team's head and you let them sit around and become overweight during a 53 day grace period. Bad play-calling also didn't help either. So yes, it was a game they could have won but didn't due to lack of preparation.

Quote:
LSU? No way. Tigers were the better team.
OSU controlled the game until about the 2nd quarter and then in the 2nd half they stopped giving Beanie carries. You really expect them to win a big game when they stop giving their 6'2 230 pound back carries? Of course not.

Quote:
Again, another example of out-coaching. It happens but it did and this one happened on senior day and nearly cost OSU a chance to compete in the NC. I bet you would be calling for Tressel's job had that cost us a chance to the NC. Oh wait, then he would have went to the Rose Bowl and look at how well he did there too.

Quote:
PSU this year? Perhaps. But Pryor was held in check, and the kid's young.

I bet you're one of those guys who thinks Pryor will suck, too, because he didn't put up Heisman numbers as a true frosh.
LMAO!!!! that made my day!

Quote:
You're like a lot of guys around here...if your team doesn't win every game by 35, put up 400 in the air and 300 on the ground, and hold the other team to a shutout and negative yards, you bitch.
I bitch when my team loses games. Obviously, that doesn't have any effect on you since this entire time you have completely ignored the issue at hand which is the fact that in big non-conference games Tressel has failed in the last 3 years and it has made OSU a laughing stock in the media. I'm sure you would get along great with the rowdy Block O kids since you all seem to have the same mentality that Tressel is the second coming of Woody Hayes and he seems to have the answer for everything.

Only 4 more national titles away!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #46
steelerbuckeye
Draft Prospect

Bellisari was actually the Defensive player of the year in Florida and came to OSU as a Safety prospect, not a qb
Old 02-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #47
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I didn't even bother reading your response.

This tedious and boring....I only engage in debate where I might learn something, so I'm done with this remedial nonsense...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #48
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

Quote:
Difference is I enjoy all kinds of college football. I'm a season ticket holder for my Akron Zips and enjoy MAC football a lot. I respect the major conferences, but also realize that there are cycles of quality in those conferences.

It's ridiculous and absurd to isolate one conference and constantly bash them, especially when that conference has produced a NC in the recent past as well as some runner-up teams.

There are 118 other teams that would be HAPPY to lose NCG's every couple years. Those 118 teams have a lot of pissed of and envious fans..
You were the one bashing the ACC. I simply stated that the acc is better or just as good as the big 10. Playing and losing the NCG in the past does not mean that OSU was the runner-up team. They were overrated and did not belong in the game and their ranking fell mightly after the loses.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #49
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
You were the one bashing the ACC. I simply stated that the acc is better or just as good as the big 10. Playing and losing the NCG in the past does not mean that OSU was the runner-up team. They were overrated and did not belong in the game and their ranking fell mightly after the loses.
A) I did not isolate the ACC. I have bashed other conferences INCLUDING THE BIG TEN, in the recent past. I'm an equal opportunity offender.
B) The ACC might have been as good as the Big Ten once in the last 10 years. One year does not a conference make.
C) Overrated and not belonging are objective and biased observations, especailly irrelevant from an SEC homer.

OSU final rankings by year (AP):
'08- 9
'07- 5
'06- 2
'05- 4
'04- 20
'03- 4
'02- 1

Average rank: 6.42

Overrated? Doubt it...unless there's some kind of space alien/Elvis conspiracy theory at work here. Also bear in mind that with the exception of UW, the Bucks have played at least one perennial OOC power every year, and they've been in their share of BCS bowls. So it's not like they've ONLY beaten Big Ten teams (and the Big Ten has NOT been down every year since BCS play started...they are just in a down cycle).

My assertion is accurate: The Buckeyes have NOT paid the kind of attention to their lines in recruiting that they needed to over the years, and they have really started emphasizing it. That, along with recruiting THE top QB prospect last year will pay dividends in the next couple years. You can't just win by recruiting all glamour-type skill players, you need the top line prospects as well.

Blaming the coach is patently ridiculous.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #50
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Toss out the anamolous year where they were #20 and it becomes #4.

Even at 6.42 (and without doing the math), is there another team in the country that averages as high since '02? Maybe USC?