Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pittsburgh Steelers: Potential Free Agent profile, Khalif Barnes

Pittsburgh Steelers: Potential Free Agent profile, Khalif Barnes
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...-Khalif-Barnes

February 16, 3:02 PM
by Matt Pawlikowski, Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers have 17 restricted/unrestricted free-agents entering the deadline on Feb.27., with potential needs if they leave for greener dollars, ranging from the offensive line to the secondary.

If a player such as cornerback Bryant McFadden or left tackle Max Starks leave the team, don't expect the Steelers to get into a bidding war for one of the top tier players from around the league. Instead, expect them to work the needs they have prudently.

Last year the Steelers biggest addition was Justin Hartwig, who signed a two-year, $4 million deal. The second biggest acquisition? Melwelde Moore, which had people scratching heads. Both played key roles in the Steelers 2008 success.

So who are some players that could attract the Steelers attention? We'll start with this guy, Khalif Barnes.

Who is he: Barnes is a left tackle who played with Jacksonville... Originally picked by the Jaguars with the second pick in 2005, he has been a mainstay at left tackle...His durability is impeccable...In 2008 was only offensive lineman to play in all 16 games and since taking over starting role has playing in 57 of 60 games.

How he fits the Steelers need: At 6-foot-5, 325 he is big and played a huge role on an offensive line that helped Jaguars rush for the two highest single-season totals in franchise history.... He also can be versatile if needed...Started at both right and left tackle after moving from defensive tackle as a red-shirt freshman in college and allowed just three sacks his final two years.

Why it is just a possibility: Barnes was arrested in 2006 for DUI and speeding and the Steelers tend to look at character...Also despite being one of the best in the league in run blocking, he was weak in pass protection last year as David Gerrard was the most sacked in the league.

Southside Odds he'll be donning the black and gold: 50-50 even. Barnes price will be low, he made $548,000 last year and there are those out there who say a change of scenery will have him playing like he did his first three years in the league... He also is only 26...While a viable option, the only way he may have a shot at the Burg, is if the Steelers foresee themselves not re-signing Starks or Marvel Smith... The team has until Feb.19th to designate a player a transition of franchise guy, which is possible with either.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers: Potential Free Agent profile, Khalif Barnes

I don't see the DUI and speeding thing to be an issue. If he has shown remorse and no other blemishes, it really isn't a big deal. An solid interview that shows good character should eliminate that.

Interesting idea, though. Last year was a fluke for the Jags as they had injuries all over the place - especially at offensive line. I think he could be a solid addition.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
FredScott
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13072

Yea I would welcome this guy for sure, big left tackle with tons of potential. ALot of players have had off the field issues but honestly it's not like this guy is a potential "cancer". Yea getting a DUI wasn't smart but I wouldn't mind seeing this guy here specially if we do lose a tackle in FA.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,745 Posts

they failed to mention he gave up 7.5 sacks, and was called for 9 PENALTIES... barnes is a freakin willie colon clone, i'd rather keep starks.....NO THANK YOU..
ray willis from seattle would be a much better option.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
they failed to mention he gave up 7.5 sacks, and was called for 9 PENALTIES... barnes is a freakin willie colon clone, i'd rather keep starks.....NO THANK YOU..
MOP, I agree with you and as much as I am not a Max Starks fan, I too would rather have Starks over Barnes.

Ray Willis could be a solid RT. I think for the left side, Vernon Carey is probably better though.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

what about Jon Stinchcomb of the saints he plays RT could he go at LT?

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
what about Jon Stinchcomb of the saints he plays RT could he go at LT?
I dont think so. I think a RT only. Too bad we dont have that much cap $$ as trying to sign a LT, Stinchcomb would hamper the ability to extend Harrison, Miller, Woodley, Holmes, McFadden.

I doubt that we would get Carey, but if we could I think he is the most flexible guy out there. He played LT and RT at Miami and some think he might be an even better guard.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Agreed.. I like Willis too. If we could get him I'd be very happy.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #9
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

They didn't mention that Barnes is an awful pass-blocker . . . makes Starks look like Walter Jones.

If we're going to sign a LT, we have to hope Carolina lets Jordan Gross go.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMan21 View Post
They didn't mention that Barnes is an awful pass-blocker . . . makes Starks look like Walter Jones.

If we're going to sign a LT, we have to hope Carolina lets Jordan Gross go.
actually they did

Quote:
.Also despite being one of the best in the league in run blocking, he was weak in pass protection last year as David Gerrard was the most sacked in the league.
you don't really think the steelers would get into a bidding war to make gross the highest paid tackle in the league do you? even carrey who isn't that close to gross's level will probably be out of pitts price range. they should be able to afford willis, but i'm sure they'll keep mr penalty colon, to save a few hundred thousand a year.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote