Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Drug violence spins Mexico toward 'civil war'

Quote:
(CNN) -- A shootout in a border city that leaves five alleged drug traffickers sprawled dead on the street and seven police wounded. A police chief and his bodyguards gunned down outside his house in another border city. Four bridges into the United States shut down by protesters who want the military out of their towns and who officials say are backed by narcotraffickers.

That was Mexico on Tuesday.

What is most remarkable is that it was not much different from Monday or Sunday or any day in the past few years.

Mexico, a country with a nearly 2,000-mile border with the United States, is undergoing a horrifying wave of violence that some are likening to a civil war. Drug traffickers battle fiercely with each other and Mexican authorities. The homicide rate reached a record level in 2008 and indications are that the carnage could be exceeded this year.

Every day, newspapers and the airwaves are filled with stories and images of beheadings and other gruesome killings. Wednesday's front page on Mexico City's La Prensa carried a large banner headline that simply said "Hysteria!" The entire page was devoted to photos of bloody bodies and grim-faced soldiers. One photo shows a man with two young children walking across a street with an army vehicle in the background, with a soldier standing at a turret machine gun.

Larry Birns, director of the Washington-based Council on Hemispheric Affairs, calls it "a sickening vertigo into chaos and plunder."

By most accounts, that's not hyperbole.

"The grisly portrait of the violence is unprecedented and horrific," said Robert Pastor, a Latin America national security adviser for President Jimmy Carter in the late 1970s.

"I don't think there's any question that Mexico is going through a very rough time. Not only is there violence with the gangs, but the entire population is very scared," said Peter Hakim, president of the Inter-American Dialogue, a Washington-based policy center.

Speaking on a news show a few weeks ago, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich called it a civil war. Birns agrees.

"Of course it's a civil war, but that only touches the violence of it," he said Wednesday. "It's also a civic conflict, as an increasing number of people look upon the law and democratic values as something that can be violated."

Hakim is not prepared to go that far.

"One has to be careful and not overdo it," he said. "Mexico is a long way from being a failed state. Mexico has real institutions. It paves roads and collects the garbage. It holds regular elections."

Enrique Bravo, an analyst with the Eurasia consulting group, points out that the violence so far is mostly affecting just drug gangs and is primarily localized along the U.S. border and Mexico's western coast.

The violence along the border is particularly worrisome, analysts say.

"The spillover into the United States is bound to expand and bound to affect U.S. institutions," Birns said.

Pastor and Hakim note that the United States helps fuel the violence, not only by providing a ready market for illegal drugs, but also by supplying the vast majority of weapons used by drug gangs.

Pastor says there are at least 6,600 U.S. gun shops within 100 miles of the Mexican border and more than 90 percent of weapons in Mexico come from the United States.

And it's not just handguns. Drug traffickers used a bazooka in Tuesday's shootout with federal police and army soldiers in Reynosa, Mexico, across the border from McAllen, Texas.

"The drug gangs are better equipped than the army," Hakim said.

Pervasive corruption among public officials is central to the drug cartels' success.

"There is so much money involved in the drug trade, there is so much fear involved in the drug trade, that no institution can survive unaffected," Birns said.

"This has really revealed just how corrupt Mexican officeholders are," Hakim said.

In one recent instance, Noe Ramirez Mandujano, who was the nation's top anti-drug official from 2006 until August 2008, was arrested on charges that he accepted $450,000 a month in bribes from drug traffickers while in office.

Such dire problems call for a new way of looking at the situation, some say.

Pastor calls the problem in Mexico "even worse than Chicago during the Prohibition era" and said a solution similar to what ended that violence is needed now.

"What worked in the U.S. was not Eliot Ness," he said, referring to the federal agent famous for fighting gangsters in 1920s and '30s. "It was the repeal of Prohibition."

That viewpoint has picked up some high-level support in Latin America.

Last week, the former presidents of Mexico, Colombia and Brazil called for the decriminalization of marijuana for personal use and a change in strategy on the war on drugs at a meeting in Brazil of the Latin American Commission on Drugs and Democracy.

"The problem is that current policies are based on prejudices and fears and not on results," former Colombian President Cesar Gaviria said at a news conference, in which the 17-member commission's recommendations were presented.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon has taken the war on drugs to the cartels and some say it's not working.

"It's as if the burden of being the main arena of the anti-drug war has overwhelmed Mexican institutions," Birns said. "The occasional anti-drug battle is being won, but the war is being lost. And there's no prospect the war is going to be won."

In the meantime, the killings will continue at a record pace.

On Wednesday, the Mexican cities of Correon and Gomez Palacio reported at least eight shootouts involving heavily armed men.

The toll: seven dead, seven wounded.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/am...ef=mpstoryview
What do you guys think needs 2 b done?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts
Default Re: Drug violence spins Mexico toward 'civil war'

Quote:
In one recent instance, Noe Ramirez Mandujano, who was the nation's top anti-drug official from 2006 until August 2008, was arrested on charges that he accepted $450,000 a month in bribes from drug traffickers while in office.
this pretty much sums up mexico's problem. thier government is about as self serving and corrupt as it gets.the U.S. needs to find a way to saw thru the border and push mexico a couple hundred miles away... ... either that or flood the border with land mines.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,288 Times in 3,522 Posts

ive tracked this the past year as it seems juarez mexico (100 miles away from me) has become the murder capitol of the world.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ghlight=juarez

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ghlight=juarez

just do a search on "juearez murder count" and see what pops up. tons of articles and it makes you wonder why this isnt a bigger story.

Quote:
Ciudad Juárez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe body count in Mexico stands at 5400 slayings in 2008, more than double the 2477 reported in 2007, officials said, with over 1400 in Ciudad Juarez alone. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciudad_Juárez -
Juarez murders shine light on an emerging 'Military Cartel'

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/not...ilitary-cartel

Quote:
America’s drug war has made murder a growth industry in Juarez, a sprawling Mexican border town of some 1.2 million people located a stone’s throw from the Texas city of El Paso.

The growth of this industry is measured in corpses and coffins. Some say the number of murders in Juarez so far this yea r exceeds 1,400, but no one really knows for sure, because not all the corpses have been found, so they can’t all be counted.

In recent weeks, the U.S. media has added a new subplot to its time-tested narrative explaining the bloodshed sparked by the narco-trafficking business — an enterprise valued at as much $500 billion globally, according to the United Nations, with up to a quarter of that business flowing through Mexico to feed the U.S. drug habit.

Again, no one really knows the true size of this enterprise, because it is hidden in the shadows, but few could argue against the reality that the flow of money from illegal drug sales is helping to prop up the economy of Mexico — and the bank accounts of both legitimate and illegitimate businesses on both sides of the border, since that money spends like all other money.

The baseline of the media narrative explaining the carnage in Juarez goes something like this: The death count in Juarez is the result of a bloody turf war being waged to control the critical narco-exporting port of Juarez. This street battle has sparked a shootout between rival drug “cartels” — headed by quasi-mythical figures like Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman Loera and Vicente Carrillo Fuentes — who are now in retreat due to the Mexican President Felipe Calderon’s decision to use the military to defeat them and return law and order to Juarez and Mexico in general.

This narrative is so convincing that the United States is prepared to commit some $1.5 billion over the next few years, under its Merida Initiative (also dubbed Plan Mexico), to provide training and equipment (including sophisticated surveillance technology and aircraft) to Mexico’s law enforcers and its military to assist Calderon in his battle against these criminal cartels.

The latest twist in this plot reveals that these ruthless drug cartels are now ratcheting up the violence due to the flow across the border of thousands of weapons — high-powered rifles, machine guns, cop-killer ammo, even grenades — from the U.S., all enabled by lax U.S. gun laws and enterprising criminals on both sides of the border.

But is it really that simple? Well, the devil is always in the details, it seems.
click link for rest.

(wow, listening to all the gun huggers i totally forgot that we could buy guns and ammo here in america.)

to answer your question SM i think the immediate legalization of marijuana is a good start. hate to see cocaine and herion legal, but its gonna get here and be used anyways. we might as well profit and tax the hell out of that just like we do alcohol and tobacco.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,008 Times in 1,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

(wow, listening to all the gun huggers i totally forgot that we could buy guns and ammo here in america.)

to answer your question SM i think the immediate legalization of marijuana is a good start. hate to see cocaine and herion legal, but its gonna get here and be used anyways. we might as well profit and tax the hell out of that just like we do alcohol and tobacco.
Yup...I think I'll go pick up few grenades tomorrow while I'm getting ammo for my M-16 at the local sport shop, might even pick up a couple claymores while I'm there.

I agree with legalizing pot and tax the chit out of it. Might pay some of that new bill off.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,288 Times in 3,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Yup...I think I'll go pick up few grenades tomorrow while I'm getting ammo for my M-16 at the local sport shop, might even pick up a couple claymores while I'm there.
what ? you cant get that in ID? you should move to NM. of course they dont just have it on display... you gotta get into the "back room".

Quote:
Might pay some of that new bill off
agriculture has always been good to america-

tobacco
cotton
food
etc.....
Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,008 Times in 1,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
what ? you cant get that in ID? you should move to NM. of course they dont just have it on display... you gotta get into the "back room".
Nope...But I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy. I think his name is Pablo.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by MACH1; 02-19-2009 at 12:42 AM.
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
SteelCurtain7
Starter

Member Number: 10885

I heard about this stuff on Glenn Beck's show the other day. Man... :(
SteelCurtain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

I say drop a nuke on the Mexican capital.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
I say drop a nuke on the Mexican capital.
man everyone is so nuke happy! NO NO NO air fuel bombs!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
man everyone is so nuke happy! NO NO NO air fuel bombs!
naw.....a couple dozen of these puppies would do a nice job....
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/139739...mb_test_video/

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote