Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583
Default Competition Committee may reconsider OT rules

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=519267

NDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay doesn't like hearing people say the overtime coin toss usually determines the winner. He's even more unhappy seeing statistics back it up.

McKay, the co-chairman of the NFL's competition committee, said Wednesday he believes the group needs to discuss possible overtime rules changes even though there may not be overwhelming support to change it.

"Sudden death is a good procedure. It's fun and everyone knows the rules," McKay said. "I would like to see the stats change because I don't like the fact that that the team winning the coin flip now wins 60 percent of the time, and the team winning the coin flip, 40-plus percent of the time, wins it on the first possession."

Those numbers have increased in recent years in part, some believe, because of other rules changes. The league has moved kickoffs back to the 30-yard line and brings in new balls for kicks to reduce loft and distance, hoping to reduce touchbacks and give returners a better chance at long runbacks.

The current overtime rules encourage teams to play for field goals -- usually by attempting short, risk-averse drives. One possible change discussed was moving kickoffs in overtime further up to force longer drives in overtime.

The committee, which met in Indianapolis before the NFL's annual scouting combine begins Thursday, won't meet again until next month.

But with no formal proposal and surveys showing many coaches supporting the format established in 1974 to reduce ties, there's no guarantee any changes will be made for the 2009 season.

McKay didn't offer any suggestions, and the committee has generally been opposed to adopting an overtime structure similar to the one used in college and high school football, where teams alternate possessions deep in opposing territory until they determine a winner.

It can be heart-stopping for fans and players, but the format has produced some marathon games -- the NCAA record is seven. Those epics had 14 possessions -- albeit short ones -- after regulation.

That could be a problem in the NFL, where players aren't teenagers and rosters are tiny by comparison.

"The thing is it is relatively quick, I think we averaged about 16 plays per overtime period this year," he said. "You don't want to add more plays because it's a long season, and we don't want to promote ties."

Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher, the other co-chairman, agrees with those points and believes the league needs more study to find out if the most recent numbers are an anomaly or a trend -- things could help determine whether changes are needed.

"I think it's a system we're all used to and you're always concerned when a random coin toss determines the outcome of a game," he said.

But it has worked for more than three decades and while it's clearly an imperfect system, nobody is willing to say it needs an overhaul yet.

"We'll keep working through it, and I'm sure the membership will be discussing something," McKay said. "I think the membership surveys say most are generally accepting of what we have now, so I don't see a clamoring for a change."
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Competition Committee may reconsider OT rules

Quote:
It's fun and everyone knows the rules," McKay said
Everyone but McNabb!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
"Sudden death is a good procedure. It's fun and everyone knows the rules," McKay said. "I would like to see the stats change because I don't like the fact that that the team winning the coin flip now wins 60 percent of the time, and the team winning the coin flip, 40-plus percent of the time, wins it on the first possession."
Which means that roughly 60 percent of the time, the coin flip itself DOESN'T "determine the winner." All because fairhaired boy Peyton Manning and his team lost in OT in the playoffs and Peter King bitched about it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts

i'd just like to see both teams get the ball at least once. maybe do rock, paper, siccors, instead of the coin toss......

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i'd just like to see both teams get the ball at least once. maybe do rock, paper, siccors, instead of the coin toss......
i like the way it is now.. but i wouldn't mind it getting changed to each team gets at least 1 pos.. then it goes from there til the game is over...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Everyone but McNabb!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
i like the way it is now.. but i wouldn't mind it getting changed to each team gets at least 1 pos.. then it goes from there til the game is over...
you don't like the rock, paper, siccors, idea? i think it would add a lil kick to OT...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Leave OT rules as is. A coin toss does not decide a game. Each team gets 60 minutes to decide the outcome of the game. I think that is fair enough.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

How about...the Team that Receives the ball in the 3rd quarter, Kicks off in OT?

So the First Coin flip at the begining of the game actually determines OT.

That way, you can't biatch.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
steelax04
Head Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRobinson View Post
Leave OT rules as is. A coin toss does not decide a game. Each team gets 60 minutes to decide the outcome of the game. I think that is fair enough.
Agree... on one hand he says 60% of the teams that win the toss win in OT, and on the other he says only 40% won on the first possession. The 60% figure lost all its validity since it took more than one possession for them to win.