Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley returns to Saginaw High as Super Bowl champion

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley returns to Saginaw High as Super Bowl champion
Posted by Hugh Bernreuter | The Saginaw News February 18, 2009 15:58PM
http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/in...inebacker.html

LaMarr Woodley refuses to think of himself as a celebrity.The teachers and students at Saginaw High may disagree.

"Maybe I'm a role model, and I accept that responsibility," the former Saginaw High football standout said Wednesday. "But I never think of myself as a celebrity. I'm just me."

Jeff Schrier | The Saginaw NewsSuper Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley, a former Saginaw High and University of Michigan standout, is mobbed by students looking for autographs at the end of an assembly at Saginaw High School, 3100 Webber in Saginaw. The school hosted the assembly to retire his number 56 football uniform.

The 24-year-old Woodley, however, is making the rounds of a celebrity after helping the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals, 27-23, in Super Bowl XLIII. Woodley recorded two sacks, including one that ended Arizona's final drive and insured a Steelers' win.

Woodley stopped at Saginaw High Wednesday to give students some advice and autographs. Saginaw High Athletic Director Lou Dawkins also announced that the school will retire Woodley's No. 56 football uniform.

"When it came down to the last play, I was screaming at the television, 'Wood is going to get the sack,'" Dawkins said. "When he pointed at the television, he pointed to the City of Saginaw."

But Woodley has become bigger than Saginaw. He has made four appearances on ESPN's "The Jim Rome Show" and is scheduled to appear during "ESPN The Weekend" at Walt Disney World in two weeks. He has also appeared on BET's "106 & Park."

"I'm getting the chance to do things and go on shows that I watch, shows that aren't just about football," Woodley said. "The opportunities are there now, with the Super Bowl and all. I'm taking advantage of it."

Woodley has no problem appearing in front of the camera, something he credits to the associations he made while playing at Saginaw High and for the University of Michigan.

"(Michigan) Coach (Lloyd) Carr helped prepare us because he made sure we carried ourselves in a certain way, that we always appeared professional," Woodley said. "He wanted us to succeed on and off the football field. Even now, I don't go on TV without wearing a collared shirt. It's just about being professional."

But it was at Saginaw High Woodley learned his first lessons about professionalism.

"I began making goals and thinking about bigger things when I was a freshman and saw everything that Charles Rogers was getting," Woodley said. "I did a search on the computer and all these stories came up about Charles and his rankings and all the visits he was making. I decided I wanted that, so I worked toward that.

"But the guy I tried to be like was Otis Washington. He just carried himself in a way that made people want to listen to him, be around him. He wasn't flashy or anything. He didn't need to be. He was a leader, and you wanted to be like him."

Former Saginaw High coach Don Durrett remembers the 1999 state championship football team, which featured Woodley, Rogers and Washington. Woodley, a linebacker, played for Michigan, while Rogers, a receiver, played for Michigan State. Washington, also a linebacker, played at Vanderbilt.

"They were leaders and they worked so hard," Durrett said. "I'd want to go home, but they'd go back out and run sprints because they didn't think they ran enough in practice. They wanted to be the best.
Jeff Schrier | The Saginaw NewsPittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley holds his retired Saginaw High School jersey during an assembly to honor him.

"Woodley learned a lot from that team, just in how to act, how to behave. We always talked about how God don't like ugliness. If something didn't go right, look and see what you've done wrong."

The message stayed with Woodley, to the point he refused to celebrate after he sacked the quarterback.

Until this year.

"I didn't want to waste the energy ... I just wanted to get back to the huddle and get ready for the next play," Woodley said. "But during training camp, one of the players said I needed one, so I kind of came up with something with a kick.

"I call it the 'door kick' like you're kicking in the door to get to the quarterback. It's not the high kick, because when you kick the door open, you aim for the middle, where the doorknob is."

Woodley looked forward to Wednesday's assembly at Saginaw High. He intends to continue coming back to visit the Trojans.

"It's where I'm from ... I've always come back to watch some games," Woodley said. "Until this year, I always made it back to watch a game at South (Middle School), because that's my school too. When I heard they were closing it down, I made it back to get some championship pictures. I even got a helmet from South.

"Everything I do, I do for the city of Saginaw. You'll see me back here watching games, and I'll be screaming and yelling. It's in my blood."
2009 Michigan Live. All Rights Reserved.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
sherlock
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7836
Default Re: Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley returns to Saginaw High as Super Bowl champion

Thank you for posting thismesaSteeler.
I`ve seen a few interviews with LaMarr and he comes across as very down to earth.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555
Default Re: Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley returns to Saginaw High as Super Bowl champion

Very cool and Lamar seems like a very likeable guy.... and now I know what his sack kick means... so even cooler.

Kick down that door Lamar..... kick it hard and often..
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Very nice read, mesa - thank you!

This young man has a bright future ahead of him in the black 'n gold and it is very heartwarming seeing that he's never forgotten his roots, as so many athletes do today. to LaMarr and to many, many more great seasons as a Pittsburgh Steeler(s).

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
iloveben7
Team Captain

Member Number: 3165

Saginaw must be extremely proud and we are too. I've had the chance to meet him and he was so nice, humble, and very funny.

My dream is to meet my HERO, Ben Roethlisberger
iloveben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:15 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,584 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Nice read way to go Woodley remembering your school.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

LaMarr is impressive both on and off the field. Another great pick by Colbert and a perfect fit for the Steelers.

I love it.the Bungals can keep their "Icky Shuffle". I'll take the "Woodley Kick" any day!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11528

I've always enjoyed his "post-sack" kick. As long he keeps sacking the opposing QB, he can kick all he wants.
NEPAsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote