Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583
Default Wonderlic needs to test for real NFL intelligence....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=519854

Posted: February 20, 2009

As the incoming NFL rookies gather in Indianapolis for a track and field exercise that arguably has little relevance to their ability to play football, one of the best known activities involves only that thing stored in each guy's skull.

Every year, the NFL Scouting Combine attendees take the Wonderlic. If any of them react to the name by asking whether it has anything to do with ice cream, it's probably going to be a long day for him.

Click here to find out more!
But not that long, really. The players have 12 minutes to complete the 50-question test of general knowledge.

Though its value is debatable, the Wonderlic has endured. For some players, like Hall of Famer Dan Marino, getting 15 of the 50 questions right didn't derail his run to Canton. For others, such as Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young, the 15 he registered via a still-unacknowledged Mulligan (he'd gotten a six or a seven the day before) might have contributed to his current position on the depth chart, one spot beneath the NFL's latest version of Methuselah.

A high score doesn't mean much, either. Alex Smith of the San Francisco 49ers racked up a 40, and that big brain of his might come in handy soon. Meanwhile, Arizona Cardinals QB Matt Leinart can use his 35 to work on the New York Times crossword puzzle, from his seat on the bench.

Some high scores over the years have triggered suspicion, especially if the number reflects dramatic improvement over any prior efforts at the test. (Many rising seniors take the Wonderlic on a trial basis during their school's "pro day" workout.) The thinking is that agents have gotten their hands on one or more of the various versions of the exam, and that some players know what's coming.

Technically, it's cheating. But some league insiders think the ability to memorize the right answers and then to regurgitate them on cue represents a fair approximation of the ability to learn a playbook.

Despite these concerns, the Wonderlic undoubtedly will continue to be a fixture at the combine. And that's fine with me -- the ability to periodically point and laugh at a guy who churns out a single-digit result is good for the vast majority of us who weren't born with high-level athletic skills.

But if the goal is to help teams make good decisions about the players whom they add to their rosters via the draft, a broader glimpse into their minds should be taken.

Last season, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb exposed his ignorance on matters that are second nature to most football fans when he admitted he wasn't aware that a regular-season game could end in a tie. McNabb compounded his blunder by then wondering aloud what the league would do if a playoff game were to be tied after a fifth 15-minute period.

So why not give the players a test not of general knowledge but of football knowledge? The questions could include matters relating to rules, to the history of the game, and to matters of trivia. The goal would be to help spot the players who have a true passion for the game.

"We want to get players that really love the game of football," new Cleveland Browns general manager George Kokinis recently told the Akron Beacon-Journal, "not just what it brings but what it is."

So what better way to determine whether a player really loves the game than to find out how much they know about it?

It's a simple approach, but its potential value could be significant. Though such questions could be asked during one of the various interview sessions, there's no reason to bog down the relatively small sliver of face time by grilling the players about the year in which the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars joined the league.

With more and more teams realizing the value of trying to find those rare players who are rich with skill and who would play the game for free, the connection will become far more apparent based not on whether they know the cost of four pads of paper at 21 cents each, but on whether they know where the ball will be placed if the home team commits four personal fouls with the ball spotted on its own 21.
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,323 Times in 659 Posts
Default Re: Wonderlic needs to test for real NFL intelligence....

Every year, stuff like this comes up and its a good story for writers to sell some copy. Scouts and coaches take this into account knowing what the test is all about and rate it about as important as a O linemans 40 time.

The Wonderlic tests general intelligence, but not football specific intelligence like the article says. It makes sense that if a guy is generally intelligent, that in most cases he will pick up a playbook better than a guy that isnt generally intelligent.

It also tests critical thinking in pressure situations (as the wonderlic is timed) and if guys can excel at it, it tells you they are either smart, or can make good decisions under pressure. The Wonderlic is a tool, a good tool but not as important as a 15 min interview or watching a kid do drills on the turf.

I have taken the Wonderlic test. Its a good test and not something that you would think is stupid. In comparison a 16-PF (personality factors) test that many would take in psychology class seems much more hokie than it.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Every year, stuff like this comes up and its a good story for writers to sell some copy. Scouts and coaches take this into account knowing what the test is all about and rate it about as important as a O linemans 40 time.

The Wonderlic tests general intelligence, but not football specific intelligence like the article says. It makes sense that if a guy is generally intelligent, that in most cases he will pick up a playbook better than a guy that isnt generally intelligent.

It also tests critical thinking in pressure situations (as the wonderlic is timed) and if guys can excel at it, it tells you they are either smart, or can make good decisions under pressure. The Wonderlic is a tool, a good tool but not as important as a 15 min interview or watching a kid do drills on the turf.

I have taken the Wonderlic test. Its a good test and not something that you would think is stupid. In comparison a 16-PF (personality factors) test that many would take in psychology class seems much more hokie than it.
Is that how you got you diploma for "dimestore psychoanalysis".

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...5&postcount=50

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
Is that how you got you diploma for "dimestore psychoanalysis".

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...5&postcount=50
No, I had to take intro psyc, a couple of sport psychology courses, then....................ah, forget it!!! I dropped it all and just setup a stand like Lucy on Peanuts and charge 5 cents to explain about ......."I'm-not-wrong-a-phobia" on these boards.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The wonderlic is completely jokey. I got a 50 and it took about 5 minutes. I think most AP high school students would breeze through it in about the same.

I think it's important because if I was in an NFL FO I'd want to be able to seperate the boxes of rocks from the guys that actually have a clue.

In Vince Young's case, I'm almost sure that the 6 was due to his inability to read. Interesting that he was at the University of Texas for all those years and no one ever noticed...
Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

I really dont know the definition of "jokey" and the score of 21 is average, so I sincerely doubt that "most AP high school students would breeze though it". Maybe it was the TOEFL test you took instead of the Wonderlic.

Here is a list of sample questions that appear on a Wonderlic. Nothing that is rocket science....just a little bit of math and problem solving.

1. A physical education class has three times as many girls as boys. During a class basketball game, the girls average 18 points each, and the class as a whole averages 17 points per person. How many points does each boy score on average?

2. Randolph has 8 ties, 6 pairs of pants, and 4 dress shirts. How many days could he possibly go without wearing the same combination of these three items?

3. John is a mechanic. He makes $8.50 an hour, plus $3 extra for every oil change he performs. Last week he worked 36 hours and performed 17 oil changes. How much money did he make?

4. A box of staples has a length of 6 cm, a width of 7 cm, and a volume of 378 cm cubed. What is the height of the box?

5. What is the average of all of the integers from 13 to 37?

6. A basketball player averaged 20 points a game over the course of six games. His scores in five of those games were 23, 18, 16, 24, and 27. How many points did he score in the sixth game?

7. Arnold is about to go on a 500-mile car trip. His mechanic recommends that he buy a special highway engine oil that will save him 50 cents in gas for every 25 miles of the trip. This new oil, however, will cost $20. Is it worthwhile for Arnold to buy the oil if he has a coupon for $4 dollars off the price?

http://www.testprepreview.com/wonder...questions1.htm
Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Well, gosh, I'm pretee stoopid I gess...the thingie i took said "Wonderlic test" on it, but i guess it could havv sed TOEFL on it, cuz they look just about the same...

Jesus, dude...
Old 03-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Well, gosh, I'm pretee stoopid I gess...the thingie i took said "Wonderlic test" on it, but i guess it could havv sed TOEFL on it, cuz they look just about the same...

Jesus, dude...
I was just curious that you believe the average highschooler could score 50 on the test you took, when the average chemist scores a 31 and less than 1% of the people that take it actually finish it.

Just didnt sound like you were taking the same test as the rest of the world that takes it. I guess Steve Young only scoring a 33 means that he is exponentially dumber than the average highschool student.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

It's called "exaggeration". It's used for effect. Also see: Irony, subtlety, et al...

My absolute favorite (and germane to this thread) is when you tried to offer some kind of third rate psychoanalysis of me and my post content. As if you know anything about me, or are in any way qualified to make such a completely hare-brained and wildly inaccurate assessment based on some stuff I post on an internet message board. Anyone who would even attempt such folly should probably point a little of that perception back at themselves for just a moment.

(Note, I did take the test...the joker formerly known as LITP took it too. We boths scored 50's and finished it in plenty of time. I didn't find it all that challenging, and I'm no genius or anything.)
Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
It's called "exaggeration". It's used for effect. Also see: Irony, subtlety, et al...

My absolute favorite (and germane to this thread) is when you tried to offer some kind of third rate psychoanalysis of me and my post content. As if you know anything about me, or are in any way qualified to make such a completely hare-brained and wildly inaccurate assessment based on some stuff I post on an internet message board. Anyone who would even attempt such folly should probably point a little of that perception back at themselves for just a moment.
Sorry to go all Stuart Smalley on you, but It's called "exaggeration"....you know, it's used for effect.

Jesus dude.....were you not hugged enough as a child or something?? Doesnt that feel better.