Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583
Default Alabama's Andre Smith plummeting....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/aro...urn=nfl,143110

NDIANAPOLIS - Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith continued to tumble in the eyes of NFL coaches and executives when he couldn't be located Saturday morning to participate in the workouts for linemen.

That follows the bad reviews Smith got from coaches from Alabama and the perception that he did a poor job of interviewing with the media and teams. Smith turned off several coaches when he told them he wasn't participating in the workout because he started training late.

"The kid is killing himself," a source close to Smith said. "He basically told the NFL people he's lazy. This is incredible. ... It doesn't matter if you're ready or not. You at least show up at the workouts and watch."

Some draft analysts had projected Smith, a junior, as a possible No. 1 overall pick in April. Concerns about his character started to surface in a serious way when Alabama head coach Nick Saban kicked him off the team before the Sugar Bowl.

Smith was rumored to be involved with the representative of an agent before the game, a violation of NCAA and NFL Players Association rules. When Alabama turned the issue over to a lawyer who is on retainer with the school to investigate possible violations, Smith initially turned over his bank records but then refused to turn over his phone records, according to two sources.

Saban deemed that a violation of team rules and dismissed Smith, who then turned pro after the bowl game. NFL coaches have been in contact with Alabama officials since then and have not heard good reports on Smith's character, a source said.

Despite so much time off, Smith has gotten out of shape in the view of NFL types.

As one scout put it Friday: "Just another guy who doesn't get it."

According to Smith's agent, Alvin Keels, Smith subsequently flew to Atlanta on Saturday for a workout with a private trainer and is not expected back in Indianapolis.
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: Alabama's Andre Smith plummeting....

he keeps shooting himself in the foot... maybe if he keeps this up,, he could fall to our pick.. lol

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
he keeps shooting himself in the foot... maybe if he keeps this up,, he could fall to our pick.. lol
lol Yep, sounds as though he is on his way down there. Seriously, that is a shame..a kid with so much potential...so much talent....yet his work ethic stinks!

"The kid is killing himself," a source close to Smith said. "He basically told the NFL people he's lazy. This is incredible. ... It doesn't matter if you're ready or not. You at least show up at the workouts and watch."
Old 02-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,675 Times in 2,896 Posts

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/02/21/a...ng-at-combine/

Quote:

Former NFL GM Charlie Casserly was scolding Smith for the problems on NFL Network:
"He's not the first player who has left the combine early, that's fairly common if they're not going to work out," former NFL General Manager Charley Casserly said. "A lack of communication, that's not good. To fly back to work out, I'm not buying it. He could be here and be around. This is not good. A team told me this morning that this guy has not been the best worker. The thing that bothers me is I've seen how Nick Saban runs his programs and how hard he works those guys and challenges those guys. How far he'll drop in the draft, you don't want to throw him out because the guy has a lot of ability."
Draft analyst Mike Mayock was even harsher in his criticism of the overweight/out of shape former top offensive line prospect. Mayock said there was no excuse for showing up fat for what should be the biggest job interview of Smith's life.

As teams analyzed more and more film of Smith, he was already likely to start sliding down draft boards. While Smith can destroy defensive linemen in the running game, he has not had a lot of experience lining up and pass blocking NFL-style against speed rushers coming off of the edge. And when he was asked to handle speed rushers, he didn't show the feet and agility to do it consistently. While Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe are NFL left tackles, there is some concern that Smith will end up either at right tackle or guard. He may be dominating at one of those positions if he can grow up and show improved dedication, but right tackles and offensive guards are rarely drafted in the top 10 picks.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
"Former NFL GM Charlie Casserly was scolding Smith for the problems on NFL Network: The thing that bothers me is I've seen how Nick Saban runs his programs and how hard he works those guys and challenges those guys."

That is what is so baffling to me. With a head coach who is such a taskmaster, you would think the kid would be anything but lazy. Although, if the desire and heart isn't there from the beginning....I doubt anything Nick could have put him through would change that.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

if he is that lazy i doubt we pick him if he falls to us

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
if he is that lazy i doubt we pick him if he falls to us
Yeah, I wouldn't think the Steelers would even consider him after learning about his poor attitude.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
nojobny
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 5924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcitygal87 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't think the Steelers would even consider him after learning about his poor attitude.
Exactly. As much as coach preaches to the players 'don't be THAT guy', Smith has "that guy" written all over him.

No player is worth that much aggravation (read: pacman, T.O., Vick, et al)
Old 02-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,675 Times in 2,896 Posts

he sounds like he has a case of "hamptonitis".

he'll probably wake up, have a good pro-day that convinces teams they cant pass on him.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcitygal87 View Post
Unfortunately that is the case. From a guy like myself who realizes that the OL JUST ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MUST BE ADRESSED it is next to unbearable to think that the Steelers will actually pass up the oppurtunity to draft A. Smith a building block in fixing this OL and a true talent on the OL, something the Steelers need. I personally wouldbe doing backflips in celebration if I had a chance to draft a guy who played in the SEC and won the outland trophy
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote