Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583
Default Jail can't accommodate 11 year old slaying suspect..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090222/...t_woman_killed

PITTSBURGH A jail warden said Sunday he will ask a judge to move an 11-year-old boy accused of killing his father's pregnant girlfriend from an adult lockup to a juvenile detention center because the jail cannot accommodate the boy.

Lawrence County Warden Charles Adamo said his 300-inmate jail cannot offer proper long-term care for Jordan Brown, of Wampum, who was charged Saturday with using his own 20-gauge shotgun to kill 26-year-old Kenzie Marie Houk.

Houk was eight months pregnant with the child of Brown's father and also had two daughters, ages 4 and 7, who lived together in the rural home where authorities said she was slain as she lay in bed Friday.

Police said the boy then hopped onto a school bus with Houk's oldest daughter. State troopers apprehended him at school after tree trimmers called 911 when Houk's youngest daughter told them she thought her mother was dead.

The boy has been held in a jail about 45 miles northwest of Pittsburgh since early Saturday, Adamo said. Brown faces a preliminary hearing on Thursday to determine if he'll stand trial. He was charged as an adult because Pennsylvania law allows prosecutors to charge children as young as 10 with criminal homicide.

Brown's attorney, Dennis Elisco, said he planned to file motions on Monday asking a judge to move the case to juvenile court and to let the boy's father post bail so the boy can be freed.

"I want him to be occupied and busy and back, essentially, in school," Elisco said.

Adamo said the boy was being held in one of four 10-by-8-foot cells in the jail's booking area, where officials check on him every 15 minutes.

He said the boy cannot receive visitors except for his attorney because doing so would require him to mingle with adult inmates. Even something as simple as letting the boy shower would require locking down a cellblock, most of which hold up to 63 inmates, Adamo said.

Elisco said jail officials couldn't even find clothes to fit the 4-foot-8-inch boy.

"They put a shirt on him; he's swimming in it, and his pants are cuffed up about 10 times," he said.

Elisco said the boy has not confessed to the shooting. He said he didn't believe the physical evidence would support police's claim that the boy killed Houk, execution-style, with one shot to the back of her head.

Police and Lawrence County District Attorney John Bongivengo haven't discussed a motive, though Houk's family and friends told The Associated Press that jealousy might have been an issue.

"He actually told my son that he wanted to do that to her," Houk's brother-in-law, Jason Kraner, said Saturday. "There was an issue with jealousy."

Elisco dismissed the claims, saying "there's no animosity."

Patricia Papernow, a psychologist from Hudson, Mass., and expert on blended families, said tensions from combining families, as Brown's father and Houk were doing, were "pretty normal in a new stepfamily."

"It looks awful from the outside and sort of unspeakable, but these are the kinds of feelings that are pretty normal in a new stepfamily," Papernow said. "You just hope there's not a loaded gun around."
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Jail can't accommodate 11 year old slaying suspect..

All I can say is WOW!

Prayers for the family, especially the girl who found her mother, and also for the boy..

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
All I can say is WOW!

Prayers for the family, especially the girl who found her mother, and also for the boy..
I know. Just sickens me!

"she was slain as she lay in bed Friday.

Police said the boy then hopped onto a school bus with Houk's oldest daughter."

Just hops on a bus and goes to school........ unbelievable.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I heard about this on the news several nights ago and I was horrified. When I learned on Saturday night that the suspected killer was an 11 year old boy, I was terribly shocked (and saddened). Now to learn that this boy was the son of the victim's boyfriend is just mind-blowing.

So many questions here - what was that boy doing with "his own 20 gauge shotgun"? My Dad took my brother and I hunting, but not until we were in our teens and we never had "our own" guns.

Surely, this kid has some very serious issues that I'm sure didn't just come out that morning. If family members knew this kid had some "jealousy" issues, why weren't they dealt with? Why wasn't this kid in counseling??

This story is so sad all the way around and that poor little girl who found her mother shot to death is going to have a rough time dealing with what she saw for a long, long time. She was obviously in the house when her mother was murdered, which just adds to this whole tragedy.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
kittenfantastico76
Starter

Member Number: 11856

I'm still in shock over this whole thing... 11... wow...
Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I heard about this on the news several nights ago and I was horrified. When I learned on Saturday night that the suspected killer was an 11 year old boy, I was terribly shocked (and saddened). Now to learn that this boy was the son of the victim's boyfriend is just mind-blowing.

So many questions here - what was that boy doing with "his own 20 gauge shotgun"? My Dad took my brother and I hunting, but not until we were in our teens and we never had "our own" guns.

Surely, this kid has some very serious issues that I'm sure didn't just come out that morning. If family members knew this kid had some "jealousy" issues, why weren't they dealt with? Why wasn't this kid in counseling??

This story is so sad all the way around and that poor little girl who found her mother shot to death is going to have a rough time dealing with what she saw for a long, long time. She was obviously in the house when her mother was murdered, which just adds to this whole tragedy.
I'll never debate why kids should be allowed to have their own shotguns, especially when living in a part of the country that has hunting season. Now I will not profess to know all the guns and what they are used for but I have friends that were hunting well before their teenage years. The question that comes to my mind is why did he have full access to the ammunition?

He definitely had issues and either the father wasn't paying enough attention to them or worse yet to the son.

You're also right that the worse tragedy is the pains that the girls will have in the future. One can only pray that God deminishes it for them.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

What a horrible tragedy. These kinds of things just make me cringe.

I don't think him having the gun though is the real issue, he was obviously disturbed and would have found some other way to kill her. It's unfortunate nobody had done anything to help him with his issues before this happened.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
What a horrible tragedy. These kinds of things just make me cringe.

I don't think him having the gun though is the real issue, he was obviously disturbed and would have found some other way to kill her. It's unfortunate nobody had done anything to help him with his issues before this happened.
I agree. Where there is a will there is a way. As you stated, he would have found some other means to kill her. His mental state...what drove him to even conceive of an idea so hideous, is the real issue.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
He definitely had issues and either the father wasn't paying enough attention to them or worse yet to the son.

You're also right that the worse tragedy is the pains that the girls will have in the future. One can only pray that God deminishes it for them.
That is one of the questions I asked in my initial post. Surely this kid exhibited precursors that would signal a rational adult/parent that something just wasn't right.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
I'll never debate why kids should be allowed to have their own shotguns, especially when living in a part of the country that has hunting season. Now I will not profess to know all the guns and what they are used for but I have friends that were hunting well before their teenage years. The question that comes to my mind is why did he have full access to the ammunition?

The ammunition part isn't all that hard. I have been hunting since I was 8. My dad (an avid hunter and strong supporter of Gun Education) never counted the shells fired vs those he gave me, so there were times when I was emptying my pockets and found one. Granted, I immediately gave them to my father...but still. It's easy to overlook them.

Personally, if you have guns in the house (and I support that), then you need to have them where the kids can't get to them...and the ammunition locked up elsewhere. I wear a key on my dogtags that allows me easy access. No reason why other's can't do the same.