Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,443 Times in 1,625 Posts
Default O line Risers-Sliders at the combine

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

Xavier Fulton improved his stock with a strong performance on Saturday.
AP
NFL Combine 2009

INDIANAPOLIS -- The offensive linemen and tight ends took the field at Lucas Oil Stadium to be timed in the 40 and to go through a battery of position drills. There were a number of players who stood out and improved their draft stock.

Risers
Xavier Fulton/OL/Illinois: Fulton was impressive from the start of the combine as he completed 27 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press Friday, then ran his 40 in a time of 4.91 seconds on both tries. He later looked terrific in position drills. Fulton has been dealing with a shoulder injury since tearing a labrum in the middle of the season. He could have very easily bowed out of performing at the combine but decided to give it a go. Fulton will have surgery to repair the injury next week.

Robby Felix/C/UTEP: Cleared by doctors to train for the combine just two months ago after suffering a very mild stroke in November, Felix completed 33 reps on the bench then ran his 40 in 5.2 seconds. His footwork and movement skills really stood out during the practice session.

Jamon Meredith/OL/South Carolina: Meredith was bothered with injuries and position changes last season at USC. He has certainly looked healthy and focused since arriving in Indianapolis. On Friday, he completed 31 reps on the bench press, better than anyone expected. Meredith ran his 40s in a combined time of 4.89 seconds. Meredith later displayed good footwork, quickness and athleticism in the workout.

Jared Cook/TE/South Carolina: Meredith's college teammate was another who made Gameprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterp rofanityfilter fans proud. Cook timed in the low 4.4-second area on both of his 40's, a time faster than many of the wide receivers will run. He did not participate in the pass catching workout because of a quadriceps injury suffered on his second run, but Cook's hands have never been questioned by scouts.

William Beatty/OT/Connecticut: One of the nation's better pass blockers proved he is one of the best athletes of all the offensive linemen in attendance. Beatty weighed a stout 307 pounds and completed 27 reps on the bench. He ran his 40s in just over five seconds, then looked very smooth during position drills.

Dan Gronkowski/TE/Maryland: Gronkowski completed 26 reps on the bench Friday, then ran his 40's in just over 4.7 seconds. Later in practice, he displayed solid hands and showed a lot of downfield speed scouts did not think he possessed.

Lydon Murtha/OL/Nebraska: Murtha flew across the stadium turf, posting times of 4.85 and 4.89 in the 40, some of the best ever for an offensive lineman at the combine. He later displayed a lot of quickness and athleticism in the position specific drills.

Phil Loadholt/OT/Oklahoma: Loadholt was less than inspiring at the Senior Bowl last month, but pulled it together in Indianapolis. He weighed in at 332 pounds, 11 less than the Senior Bowl. Loadholt's 40 times were not impressive, yet his workout stood out. He looked very athletic and moved exceptionally well on his feet.

Gerald Cadogan/OT/Penn State: Scouts always considered Cadogan a solid athlete and he proved them correct today. Cadogan posted times of 5.03 and 5.07 in the 40 and looked very athletic on the field. His bench press total of 26 repetitions was a positive sign for those critical of his strength.

Sliders
Bear Pascoe/TE/Fresno State: Pascoe is considered more of a pass catcher, yet he was the slowest tight end on the field. He never broke 4.9 seconds in the 40 and looked very sluggish in pass catching drills.

Herman Johnson/OL/LSU: Johnson's woes seem to be piling up. He performed poorly at the Senior Bowl and was no better here. Johnson weighed in at 364 pounds, almost twenty less than the Senior Bowl, but barely broke the 5.5- second barrier in the 40 and worse yet, completed just 21 reps on the bench.

Dan Gay/OL/Baylor: Gay measured 6-foot-4 and 308 pounds, but was only able to complete 18 reps on the bench and ran poorly, timing his 40's over 5.4-seconds.

Garrett Reyonlds/OT/North Carolina: Reynolds was another big offensive lineman who struggled on the bench press (19 reps) and in the 40 (5.41 seconds). He later looked sluggish and slow during the practice session.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ine/index.html
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,443 Times in 1,625 Posts
Default Re: O line Risers-Sliders at the combine

This is an article by Tony Pauline and I admittedly am a fan of him as I agree with most of what he sees.

I watched the O line workouts and posted that I too thought Reynolds looked slow, Jamon Meridith was gonna get hype with the way he moved, William Beatty at 309, long arms, 27 reps at 225 is improving his stock and have been pimping Cadogan as a good late round steal for us (not anymore).

I have also said since back in October that Herman Johnson doesnt have NFL type game. Even though many had him ranked as the #2 OG behind Duke Robinson.

I might be biased, but think its a good read.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I watched the combine as well and really liked what I saw out of Loadholt and Meridith I would love to get one of those guys at #32 especially Meridith as he can also play guard and he played against top competition in the SEC.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

this is a good read.. the te jared cook, is a freak of nature

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

I really hope the Steelers get a O-Lineman with the pick....just like last year they seem to act like that is not an area of need,I Swear it was almost like they refused to take one out of spite.....bad enough they have an average O-Line coach
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote