Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers: A name to watch come draft time; cornerback Michael Ray Garvin

Steelers: A name to watch come draft time; cornerback Michael Ray Garvin
February 23, 9:27 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...ael-Ray-Garvin
by Matt Pawlikowski, Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

PITTSBURGH- As the days close in on the prospect of losing some of its free-agents to other teams, one of the biggest slots that will be watched is the cornerback, particularly Bryant McFadden.

McFadden has already hired Drew Rosenhaus, who is know for garnering big time bucks for his clients, and with the tender Max Starks signed after the team made him the franchise player, the question now is how much money will McFadden be willing to take.

Last year McFadden made a meager $520,000 in what was the final year of a four-year, $2.46 million contract. But recent signings of Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha and the Colts Kelvin Hayden to blockbuster deals, more than likely have McFadden singing 'Show me the money"

Already, he has that while he wants to remain a Steeler, he also wants a big check. Not exactly the Steeler way heading into negotiations.

"It only takes one team to accelerate the price," Steelers director of football operations said in his press conference last week at the combine. " It doesn't take a great market. If one team has a sincere interest and you're not able to match [the offer], you're probably going to lose that player."

Should that happen, then where would the Steelers turn? Here's a name that sticks out, and while not invited to the combine, he is a player that fits two needs, one of a corner and a very good return man.

He is CB/ RS Michael Ray Garvin of Florida St.

Garvin was an All American in two sports for the Seminoles both football and track and last year, he led the nation in kickoff returns. His downfall might be size, where he is listed at just 5-foot-8 inches and there is the fact he has only played 20 games at the position.

His stock could rise as he will have a Pro Day at Florida State in March which will be attended by all 32 teams, but chances are the Steelers could pick him up rounds 4-6 in the draft.

Garvin may not be ready to step into a starting role, but he could be groomed as veteran DeShea Townsend's replacement. He has been cross trained at both the boundary and field slots, and his blazing speed is something the Steelers could use on kickoffs.

Another guy to watch, someone not attracting much attention and a more realistic pick for the Steelers is Wake Forest CB Alphonso Smith, whom we will will look at more in depth later.

Smith is much faster and athletic than Malcolm Jenkins, who is projected as an early pick and has great attitude. He may fall into the Steelers lap with the 32nd pick, and if McFadden is gone would be a great pick.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Steelers: A name to watch come draft time; cornerback Michael Ray Garvin

With Rosenhaus doing the maneuvering for B-Mac, I think it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to want a big payday for his client and the Steelers aren't going to bite.

Interesting bit of reading on this Garvin kid. Maybe the Steelers could pick him up in a late round as a return man - I am a little iffy on drafting him to replace B-Mac or Deshea one day - he's a bit of a midget in terms of CB's, but hey - good things are supposed to come in small packages.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: Steelers: A name to watch come draft time; cornerback Michael Ray Garvin

i hope we go Oline in the first! especially if mack is on the board at 32

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,411 Times in 1,439 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I would love to see a good return man in Pittsburgh and hopefully we could groom him to be a starting corner in the future.We still have gay he is not a bad corner.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Return man?

Perhaps I'm confused but I thought that's why we picked up that Canadian running back.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Return man?

Perhaps I'm confused but I thought that's why we picked up that Canadian running back.
He's no assurance though, and we still need a corner. I'm envisioning something of an R.W. McQuarters who plays corner and also returns punts & kicks. You can always find a speed corner, but not always one with brains. If Garvin has brains, I'd pick him up for a 4th rounder.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Question. Is there anyone on the roster signed to Drew Rosenhaus? That man is a major asshole
Old 02-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

B-Mac hiring Rosenhaus basically told Omar Khan to not even bother negotiating.

Thanks for your time and contribution, B-Mac, and enjoy your money and your ring. You likely will not be getting another of the latter any time soon, if ever.

Just another athlete putting the almighty dollar ahead of winning championships.

Oh, and a special thank you to Evil Al Davis for completely screwing up the CB pay scale. Jackass.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

Wow I'm getting older man, from personal experience, I played against Michael Ray Garvin. This guy kicked our ass in 2 quarters, he can definitely run back kicks, and he is a very smart athlete and a hell of a runner and he can be a playmaker in key situations. Only problem I have with him is that althought its a "rumor", he and Brian Cushing were juicers. Not to bash on them but I without a doubt think that they juiced since Garvin used to catch fits on track meets that other students noted and Cushings equipment manager was our equipment manager 2 years later and we asked him and he said it without hesitation that he was on something. Ironically after their departure , NJ started testing players for roids and all of that , and their freshman years Cushing was skinny as ever and Garvin didn't even play his first year. But they have recovered and shown their playnmaking abilities in college. Anyway they're allegations, and I think even if they did them they stopped at the right stage and let their training staff build them up. I wouldn't mind if garvin got picked up by the steelers, he's a heck of a football player

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Well its just becoming a matter of fact then. The Steelers are gonna run out of corners quick. I feel with the big money B-mac is gonna want and the Franchise tag on Starks the Steelers won't pay up, and you have to watch the age of Towsend and figure he has another two good seasons in him three at the most before his time is up. Yes Gay will take B-Mac's role, but we will need another or two Corners to be safe. This draft should be OL OL OL OL CB CB, and other needs to be filled.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote