Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default The Curious Case Of Bryant McFadden

The Curious Case Of Bryant McFadden
by Blitzburgh on Feb 23, 2009 10:32 PM EST Comment 1 comment
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...case-of-bryant

As was discussed last week after the Pittsburgh Steelers franchised Max Starks, the most pressing question mark surrounding the team's 2009 offseason is now what to do about Bryant McFadden. With nearly 1,000 votes casted, you guys and gals are pretty evenly split on what you think will happen, with '50/50' he gets re-signed the leader in the clubhouse at 38%. Not too far behind though at 14% is the belief that there's no way B-Mac will be back in 2009 and beyond.

I don't really want to go back to the conversations regarding the economics of the situation. Instead, I just want to take a look at the careers of other CBs around the league who were Day 1 draft picks like McFadden. My hypothesis going into this is that McFadden played signigicantly less than his peers in his first three years. And the reasons really didn't have everything to do with talent. Instead, like it was in Minnesota with Mewelde Moore finding nowhere to fit in amongst the highly paid duo of Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor. He became their trash and our treasure. Bryant McFadden is obviously a lot more expensive to retain than are the Mewelde Moores of the league, but it's still similarly imperative that we don't let him walk away and become somebody else's treasure - even if he does have a high price tag attached to him.

Top 12 CBs Taken In 2005 NFL Draft

Player (draft pick) Team (draft pick) Games # of Top 10
Played/Started Pass Defenses

'Pacman' Jones (6th) Tennessee/Dallas #### ####
Antrel Rolle (8th) Arizona Cardinals 53 / 44 0
Carlos Rogers (9th) Washington Redskins 51 / 41 1
Fabian Washington (23rd) Oakland Raiders 58 / 45 1
Marlin Jackson (29th) Indianapolis Colts 52 / 32 3
Stanford Routt (38th) Oakland Raiders 61 / 21 1
Corey Webster (43rd) New York Giants 57 / 31 1
Ronald Bartell (50th) St. Louis Rams 58 / 44 0
Darrent Williams (56th) Denver Broncos ******* *******
Justin Miller (57th) New York Jets 42 / 23 1
Kelvin Hayden (60th) Indianapolis Colts 57 / 27 3
Bryant McFadden (62nd) Pittsburgh Steelers 51 / 18 3

#### Nothing worthwhile to learn from Pacman's trajectory.

***** Darrent Williams was tragically killed just hours after the last game of Denver's 2006 season.

Conclusions

1. Outside of Justin Miller of the Jets, no player has played fewer games than has Bryant McFadden. And nobody has started fewer games. Is this because all these CBs are better players than is B-Mac? No, no. That's not it. It has more to do with the entrenched incumbents in place when B-Mac was drafted. Because of his relative lack of experience, I think we saw a touch lower learning curve from B-Mac than some of his counterparts around the league who saw themselves thrust into action early and often in their careers on poor teams.

2. Not coincidentally I don't think, no team outside of the Colts had as many top ten pass defenses than did Pittsburgh since McFadden's drafting. It should be noted too that the Colts pass defense was so 'good' partly because there rush defense was so bad.

3. Therefore, in my estimation, it's not at all fair to reference the fact that B-Mac couldn't get on the field consistently enough to warrant a big pay day.

Salary Comparisons:

1. Kelvin Hayden - recently signed 5-year extension for $43 million
2. Justin Miller - set to become free agent. Not as durable or same size and skills as B-Mac.
3. Carlos Rogers, Marlin Jackson, Stanford Routt, Fabian Washington - 2010 Free Agents
4. Antrel Rolle - 2011 Free Agent
5. Ronald Bartell - set to become free agent this week. He and B-Mac will be two of the hottest commodities on the market.
6. Corey Webster - 5-year $43.5 million extension in December. $20 million in guarantees but the guarantees end in 2011, with the final three years basically being option years

Is there a way for the Steelers to get something done like the Giants did with Corey Webster? Perhaps even with a smidge less money guaranteed than he got? The way I see it, the Steelers could ensure that they have the CB position locked down through 2011 esentially, which would in turn allow them draft other positions of need in 2009 and 2010 - most notably along the offensive and defensive lines. If not, the Steelers are back to the drawing board looking for a CB on Day 1 of the 2009 NFL Draft.

You can count on that if B-Mac walks.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,654 Times in 4,010 Posts
Default Re: The Curious Case Of Bryant McFadden

if we didnt have a policy of not extending players with more than 2 years left on their contract we probably coulda signed him last year to a 5 year/ 20 mil. contract.

the steelers way obviously works, but i'd sure like to see players like holmes, miller, and woodley get a well deserved payraise now (that will ultimately save money in the long run) as opposed to seeing them try to break the bank later.

i know its risky (kordell), but teams like philly have stayed up top using this method (despite no sb's).

ultimately, i guess the steelers mgmt would just as soon see a player like mcfadden walk as opposed to changing their proven method.

i can live with that.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11528

If the Steelers "way" hasn't worked out as well as it has, I'd be worried. They're obviously doing something right. I would love to have B-mac resigned even if it just meant depth at the CB position. I guess there's nothing to do but to wait and see how it all plays out.
NEPAsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

while fans of other teams go bizerk when a team lets a player leave or is cut, steelers fans really dont put up much of a fuss because we know more often than not its the right move. its nice to have the right people running your team.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if we didnt have a policy of not extending players with more than 2 years left on their contract we probably coulda signed him last year to a 5 year/ 20 mil. contract.

the steelers way obviously works, but i'd sure like to see players like holmes, miller, and woodley get a well deserved payraise now (that will ultimately save money in the long run) as opposed to seeing them try to break the bank later.

i know its risky (kordell), but teams like philly have stayed up top using this method (despite no sb's).

ultimately, i guess the steelers mgmt would just as soon see a player like mcfadden walk as opposed to changing their proven method.

i can live with that.
..... i've wondered for years about thier methods, and its hard to argue against , but like you said, they could save bundles down the road. take holmes for instance. what if he has not just a breakout year, but explodes ! ...say 110 rec....1400 yds...15 tds..........would the steelers make him to the highest paid receiver? nope....but someone else will....then it's buh bye santo... .... miller already has a solid rep, but what if he catches 85 passes, and 15 td's next year ? buh bye miller...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,519 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I see where you guys are going with this and it makes sense.I just don't see the Steelers changing there policy just to keep someone.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

If B-Mac is allowed to walk I'm not worried to much because tomlin's specialty is d-backs he can draft one in the later rounds and develop him like he did with Gay.I just don't want to spend big money on Matu at guard when we can get a good one in the draft.So let Matu walk sign B-Mac if we can but trust in the FO.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

We can live with B Mac going, same with Kemo. I think Gay is ready to start and Deshea is still a competent nickel back. Keep our LB's (Woodley, Harrison) and keep Heath, he is just damn good to let go.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

McFadden isn't the player that is going to cause the Steelers to change policy.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I like the Steeler way. I trust the Steeler way. I trust our management...but

I wish every negotiation didn't feel like a cram session for a college test the next morning though.

The only frustration with BMAC is that we knew he had talent....starting talent. We could have signed him to a deal before the start of the season that was affordable, but we didn't.

I will be shocked if he's back. I've pretty much resigned that he is gone. Dale Lolley said in his blog that the going rate for Corners is more than what Troy makes at safety...and that that his source with the Steelers said that the Steelers will not pay BMAC more than they pay Troy.

I've said many times, I would rather lose BMAC than Heath Miller or James Harrison. Next year is a huge year for FA's on our team. Next year's FA crop could break this team up. Losing BMAC will not do that.

My stance before FA began is that either Starks or BMAC need to be kept. We kept one and I can live with that. I hope we can keep Kemo as well, but we will see.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote