Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,145 Times in 475 Posts
Default Harrison Contract Update

ESPN ran a ticker at the bottom of the screen about James Harrison. Something about his contract being hampered a bit because of a contract bargaining agreement. I saw it at the last second and didn't see the whole script. Maybe it has something to do with the un-capped year of 2010, I don't know but reports are the talks were hampered.

Last edited by StainlessStill; 02-25-2009 at 05:24 PM.
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Harrison Contract Update

Threads like this irritate the shit out of me. No source, no link. Just a vague "I caught the tail end of them saying something about this on ESPN, but I had to go take a dump and didn't catch all of it...."
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

He's a free agent after 2009. I hope we lock him up long-term, but we may draft someone to take his place in a year.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=34116
Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Threads like this irritate the shit out of me. No source, no link. Just a vague "I caught the tail end of them saying something about this on ESPN, but I had to go take a dump and didn't catch all of it...."
Don't you bash the necessity to go poo!

Actually I'm on your side, sick to my stomach during the first Ravens game, had to go since like the 3rd quarter but I wouldn't leave me seat until it was finished...then it went to OT...trying times.

Where's the linky OP?
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Regardless of what happens, the Steelers can tag him after next year. He isn't going any wheres.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09056/951398-66.stm

the articles I read today, limit salary increased during a contract year to only 30%, and no longer than 5 years. this would hamper spreading out a signing bonus over 6 or 7 years, and making it a 4-5 deal with the benefit of spreading it out over 7.
Regardless, we will just tag him, he isn't going anywhere for at least 3 years.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

According to BSPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3934229

When you pit the reigning Super Bowl champions against the league's defensive MVP in contract negotiations, there are bound to be rough patches.

For the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison, this is one of those times, as the sides remain far apart in negotiations, Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, told ESPN.com Wednesday.

"We're talking and meeting pretty regularly, almost daily, but we're having a difficult time getting to where we need to be," Parise said. "I would say talks are progressing but not necessarily yielding the results that we would expect."

Barring something unforeseen, the Steelers are not expected to have a deal in place with Harrison before the start of free agency on Friday.

Length is not the primary issue. Both sides have discussed a deal in the range of five to six years. But the two sides are far apart monetarily and how it would be distributed over the length of the contract. The uncertainty with the collective bargaining agreement, with talks possibly starting this spring, also is something both sides have to work through.

AFC North blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Harrison, 30, is not due to become a free agent until 2010.

"I think the Steelers are trying to get a deal done, too," Parise said. "It's just right now we're not close."

Harrison, a two-time Pro Bowler, registered 101 tackles, 16 sacks and seven forced fumbles for Pittsburgh last season. He also had the longest interception return in Super Bowl history of 100 yards in the win over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Someone having a rough day? I think he's posting to see if we know anything about it....
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

The issue is apparently money... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3934229 No surprise here.

With the uncertainty of the CBA and the stupid money being thrown at FAs, the Steelers need to play "hard ball". I love Silverback and all he's done as much as the next guy (see signature), but it's a business and the Rooneys succeed long term by making business decisions over personal decisions.

Make him a reasonably offer that works for the business and be done with it. It he doesn't take it he plays next year and walks. It would be sad but so be it.

Timmons plays well in his absence and will get better. Davis was a force in college, but we've had no need to get him on the field to this point. Get him out there. And grab some more studs in the draft.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
With the uncertainty of the CBA and the stupid money being thrown at FAs, the Steelers need to play "hard ball". I love Silverback and all he's done as much as the next guy (see signature), but it's a business and the Rooneys succeed long term by making business decisions over personal decisions.

Make him a reasonably offer that works for the business and be done with it. It he doesn't take it he plays next year and walks. It would be sad but so be it.
Couldn't agree more. It would suck if he walked after next year, but if it happens, it happens.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote