Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Media

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts
Default OT: Immaculate Reception original broadcast

I was telling my girlfriend, (who is football illiterate, but I'm tutoring her on the game.. ) about the Immaculate Reception and how it changed the game of football.

I was searching youtube and came across the original broadcast of the play that was aired the next day. I've never seen this before and always seen the old footage with the ailing colors and the frontal view of Franco's catch. Watching this just drops my jaw, and the footage behind the play CLEARLY shows that Franco cradles the ball at about hip level and it didn't come close to hitting. In my opinion a must see.

Split backfield.. you actually see Franco staying in and pass protecting for Bradshaw and when the pocket collapse's, you see him fire off down field knowing Bradshaw was looking for the big one. Amazing.

StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Default Re: OT: Immaculate Reception orginal broadcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
Thanks man! I've also seen the immaculate reception only from the front angle. Btw, if you want to have a good laugh, look at #20 of the Oakland Raiders at 0:45
I've watched it about 45 times now with a queer little smirk. This will forever be a cherished piece of art, not only in Steelers Nation, but in my family.

It was my dads first game (We have the ticket stub to prove it) when he was 15. His seats were in peanut heaven and him and his brothers decided to run down to the first sections near the end of the game. Said there wasn't one person along the ramps. He actually made his way to the sidelines when they kicked off and he was standing next to Joe Greene. He's told the story my whole life and I can tell it in my sleep. He didn't see the catch but remembers pandemonium in the stadium and he rushed the field.

He said the beer man was jumping up and down on the aisles and quarters were flying out of his pouch all over the place and he started scoopin all the change off the steps. When he was standing on the sidelines and next to Greene, he said some guy walked up to him and offered him a sip of Whiskey. Greene declined and said the games not over and he had to go back out for the kickoff.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
iceman000123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13147

I've seen this play. It's number one on the top ten luckiest plays in the NFL history. I can't watch the video without cracking a smile. It was truly an amazing attempt and effort.
iceman000123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman000123 View Post
I've seen this play. It's number one on the top ten luckiest plays in the NFL history. I can't watch the video without cracking a smile. It was truly an amazing attempt and effort.
I guess lucky and miracle go hand in hand. Harris wasn't even supposed to be there, mix that in with the ball hittin' off Tatum with the ball ricocheting right into Franco's lap, and WHELL-AH, you have a miracle.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
SC Steeler Steve
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 12276

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I've watched it about 45 times now with a queer little smirk. This will forever be a cherished piece of art, not only in Steelers Nation, but in my family.

It was my dads first game (We have the ticket stub to prove it) when he was 15. His seats were in peanut heaven and him and his brothers decided to run down to the first sections near the end of the game. Said there wasn't one person along the ramps. He actually made his way to the sidelines when they kicked off and he was standing next to Joe Greene. He's told the story my whole life and I can tell it in my sleep. He didn't see the catch but remembers pandemonium in the stadium and he rushed the field.

He said the beer man was jumping up and down on the aisles and quarters were flying out of his pouch all over the place and he started scoopin all the change off the steps. When he was standing on the sidelines and next to Greene, he said some guy walked up to him and offered him a sip of Whiskey. Greene declined and said the games not over and he had to go back out for the kickoff.

AWEsome F'in video.

Great story also Stainless, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Steeler Steve View Post
AWEsome F'in video.

Great story also Stainless, thanks for sharing.
A pleasure, same goes to your Sig!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

Holy crap this is crazy! I only ever saw the front angle.
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Wow. Never saw this angle. This is a much better view of the ball hitting Tatum first and Franco catching it cleanly before the nose of the ball had a chance to hit the ground. Believe it or not I have a Raider fan friend that still believes the NFL cuts off the video at Franco's knees to hide the fact that the ball may have hit the ground. This clearly negates that arguement.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Wow. Never saw this angle. This is a much better view of the ball hitting Tatum first and Franco catching it cleanly before the nose of the ball had a chance to hit the ground. Believe it or not I have a Raider fan friend that still believes the NFL cuts off the video at Franco's knees to hide the fact that the ball may have hit the ground. This clearly negates that arguement.
The argument isn't about the ball hitting tatum first, the argument is whether or not the ball hit Frenchy Fuqua last. According to the rulebook, if the ball hits an offensive player, then another offensive player can not catch and advance the ball at that point. It becomes a dead ball.

It's very difficult to tell, but from my untrained eye I'd have to say the ball hit Frenchy but in real time and without a machine to slow it down, I can't be 100% sure of it.

But I don't care whether it did or didn't - the fact remains that Franco made one hell of a catch and run! The video also shows that the ball wasn't as close to the ground as originally thought. It looked like he had a almost a foot between the ball and the ground when he caught it.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
1st&Goal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8802

I always thought Madden's issue was the catch. This clearly shows a clean catch. Can someone forward this to that fatass?
1st&Goal is offline   Reply With Quote