Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
jsteelers51191
Water Boy

Member Number: 5973
Default With Simmons gone and Kemo on his way out, WHO PLAYS GUARD???

if Kemo and Essex leave we only have Stapleton currently on our roster to fill 2 guard positions. What logic am i missing?
jsteelers51191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: With Simmons gone and Kemo on his way out, WHO PLAYS GUARD???

they will either make a move to pick up a Guard (center) in FA or sign Kemo. Maybe both. They are 18 Mill under the cap right now with only a couple big signings needed. The can get more room by agreeing to a longer term contract with Starks.

They may also make a move in the draft.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Havik
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8843

It looks like Duke Robinson is our guy at pick 32 if he is still there. He can start at LG. I think Colon will be moved to RG, which would be an excellent fit for him.
Havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
SaskSteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9243

i think there are better players to take at guard beside duke robinson like andy levitre and kraig urbik
SaskSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
EPMD
Water Boy

Member Number: 13043

I agree with Duke Robinson as the pick. His game looks like a great fit for the Steelers. But I see Robinson on the right side and Colon moving over to LG. Colon's been in the system awhile now and that LG position is key on the line; hopefully he'd make a smooth transition to that "pulling guard" spot and make a good pair with Starks. It's a lot to ask of a rookie to come in and take over at LG, which is becoming the 2nd "glamor position" on the o-line. Not sure Robinson's mobile enough to be effective in space, but he's a giant road-grader and with him in there, we might finally get that extra punch in the inside running game. I've seen Colon be effective on pulling plays, in spite of some of the scouting reports I've seen on him that all but call him a stiff. Either way, I don't think the squad can keep on covering for Colon's game at RT.

We need another bear out there at RT... like Strzelczyk. But if you're right about Robinson playing LG, then he and Starks are gonna make up a massive left side soon enough.
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
soggy
Water Boy

Member Number: 11063

I would not expect ANY free agent offensive linemen signing until the Starks and Harrison contracts are redone. Being 7 million under the cap does not leave any wiggle room. I suspect a low flyer fringe lineman will be signed later in March on the cheap or even after the draft. You can almost guarantee that the first round pick will be a guard or a center/guard such as Mack. welcome to CAP HELL!!!
soggy is offline   Reply With Quote