Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
drew102e
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5081
Default Front Office makes a few mistakes

This just in...our front office is not perfect...IMO

"Simmons signed a four-year contract extension just before the start of the 2007 season. The total of the five-year deal was worth $24 million and included a $7.85 million signing bonus. Eighteen months later, they released him."

What a bunch of dead money this is...why did they sign him if they were just going to dump him 1 1/2 later...is he still hurt...whats the story?

Smith, a third-round draft pick in 2006, did not receive a tender and became an unrestricted free agent.

to be fair, i thought he was going to be a great safety when they drafted him...oops, sucks to misfire on a 3rd round pick though

McHugh and Madison received the low tenders of $1.01 million, maintaining the Steelers rights to match. McHugh would bring a seventh-round pick if they did not match, but Madison would not because he was not a drafted player.

WHY pay 2 million for two players nobody wants? you are only gonna get a 7th rounder if they sign mchugh pay em the minimum after every team passes

Oh well, Steelers front office is still the best, but they are far from perfect

Sign Harrison and all is forgiven
Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814
Default Re: Front Office makes a few mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew102e View Post

McHugh and Madison received the low tenders of $1.01 million, maintaining the Steelers rights to match. McHugh would bring a seventh-round pick if they did not match, but Madison would not because he was not a drafted player.

WHY pay 2 million for two players nobody wants? you are only gonna get a 7th rounder if they sign mchugh pay em the minimum after every team passes
McHugh is the second best blocking TE and the best blocking FB we have. Also I think he was at veteran minimum which is near 1 mil anyway.

Madison might be the 4th corner next year. Also key ST player.
Steely McSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

no one knew that kendell simmons was going to tear his achilles tendon.. the injruy could be a lot worse than most thought and the steelers FO prob didn't want 2 pay him to be injured..

not tendering smith is ehh... he didn't play a whole lot this past yr.. and i think ryan mundy could be a better replacement for troy and ryan...

smith got his ring and he could still re-sign

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

I really hope Madison gets resigned, great special teamer.
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

I hope they have their act together. I like the moves they have made so far personally. But I don't understand how we ended up with so many UFAs and players who will be UFAs next year all at the same time. I hope to God we are able to keep Miller on the team. He is one of my favorite players and saves out butt a lot.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

IMO, the team is making all the right moves. With the signings on the o-line, they've revamped the entire line with young tough guys (our center will come via the draft). These guys will only get better with time together, and playoff experience does count for something.

Starks plays at a position where the most sacks are allowed, he won't be that guy in the end. He proved this past season he CAN play LT. He's smart and has all the physical tools.

Kemo will only get better, this kid is big & strong and will only play better as he gets more comfortable.

Colon is as tough as they get in my book, and put him opposite Kemo at RG, that's downright nasty.

That brings in to play mr. Hills. I think we'll see a stronger guy in camp this summer, our future RT?

The way I see it is Mack or Wood are ours, whichever we want, we have the picks to get either. With Stapelton backing up and another OT via the draft you have young continuity to grow with a great QB.

Tomlin has already shown he loves the pass rush, and we have the opportunity to land two great young talents at the DE or DT position in this draft with the picks we have. IMO, we have the opportunity to snag two top d-linemen and our future center in the first three rounds with the picks we have. Suddenly we've become younger, bigger, stronger on both sides of the line.

They can't do that without doing what they did. Signing they're guys and building through the draft, just like they always do.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
I hope they have their act together. I like the moves they have made so far personally. But I don't understand how we ended up with so many UFAs and players who will be UFAs next year all at the same time. I hope to God we are able to keep Miller on the team. He is one of my favorite players and saves out butt a lot.

If there is no new labor agreement before the beginning of 2010, some of those 2010 UFA of ours actually will not become UFAs. I am not sure exactly what they become but the the old cba declares that the period of years to become a UFA goes from 4 to 6 years. I am pretty sure it only applies only to players finishing their first contract. I still don't know the mechanisim, but I will guess that if you would have been and UFA instead you become a RFA. maybe? Of course, the downside is that there would be no limit on what other teams could offer our RFAs - if indeed that is what happens.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
drew102e
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5081

does this mean a possible lockout or strike in 2010???
Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew102e View Post
does this mean a possible lockout or strike in 2010???
Here is some stuff from nfl.com

: When does the CBA expire should there be no extension to the agreement?

A: In March of 2011.

Q: Will there be a college draft in 2011?

A: Yes.

Q: What is the "Final League Year" in the current agreement?

A: The "Final League Year" is the term used in the CBA to refer to the last year of the agreement. Without a further extension of the CBA, the "Final League Year" would be the 2010 League Year.

Q: What are the differences between the "Final League Year" and any other "League Year?"

A: The principal differences are that in the "Final League Year" there is no salary cap and there are substantial additional restrictions on player free agency and reductions in player benefits.

Q: Now that 2009 is the last capped year, are there rules that impact player contract negotiations and a club's salary cap planning?

A: Yes. Here are the key differences:

--After the last game of the 2008 regular season, signing bonus proration was reduced from a maximum of six years to a maximum of five years.

--In 2009, there is no June 1 rule for Signing Bonus acceleration. If a player is removed from the roster or his contract is assigned via waivers or trade at any time in the 2009 League Year, any unamortized signing bonus will be immediately included in Team Salary.

--There is no year-end netting of incentives in 2009. Not-likely-to-be-earned incentives are charged to team salary immediately when earned, and likely-to-be-earned incentives are deducted when they are no longer possible to earn.

--Guaranteed salary from 2010 and beyond is reallocated to 2009 unless the entire 2009 salary is guaranteed.

--50% of guaranteed salary in any League Year beyond 2012 is reallocated to 2009.

--The 30% increase rule restricts salary increases from 2009 to 2010. For example: a player with a $500,000 salary in 2009 would be limited to annual salary increases of $150,000 ($500,000 x 30%) beginning in 2010.

--A team can include only three veteran team incentives in a player contract covering 2009 and beyond. These incentives must also be coupled with a playtime requirement. Previously, clubs were limited to eight team incentives and no playtime requirement.

Q: Are current player benefits affected in the Final League Year?

A: We expect player benefits to decline in the Final League Year. The union agreed that in the Final League Year, clubs would be relieved of their obligation to fund numerous benefit programs. Examples include second career savings (401K), player annuity, severance pay, performance-based pay, and tuition assistance.

Q: What determines an unrestricted free agent in the Final League Year (2010)?

A: In capped seasons, a player whose contract has expired becomes an unrestricted free agent if he has four or more accrued seasons. In the Final League Year (2010), a player whose contract has expired becomes an unrestricted free agent only if he has six or more accrued seasons. An unrestricted free agent is free to sign with any club with no compensation owed to his old club.

Q: What determines whether a player is a restricted free agent in the "Final League Year?"

A: In capped seasons, a player whose contract expires becomes a restricted free agent if he has three accrued seasons. In the Final League Year (2010), a player whose contract expires becomes a restricted free agent if he has three, four or five accrued seasons. The rights of restricted free agents remain unchanged in the Final League Year.

Q: In addition to the right to designate a franchise (or transition) player each capped year, can clubs designate additional players in the Final League Year?

A: Yes, one additional player can be tagged. In capped years, a club may designate a franchise player or a transition player. In the final league year (2010), a club may designate one additional transition player. A transition player must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of the prior season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's prior year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

Q: What is the Final Eight Plan?

A: During the Final League Year, the eight clubs that make the divisional playoffs in the previous season have additional restrictions that limit their ability to sign unrestricted free agents from other clubs. In general, the four clubs participating in the championship games are limited in the number of free agents that they may sign; the limit is determined by the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs. For the four clubs that lose in the Divisional Playoffs, in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters.

Q: Is there an Entering Player Pool in the Final League Year?

A: There may be. The CBA provides that the league has the unilateral right to keep or eliminate the rookie pool in the Final League Year.

Q: Is there a Minimum Team Salary in the Final League Year?

A: There is no Minimum Team Salary in the Final League Year. The Minimum Team Salary in 2009 is projected to be $107,748,000, meaning each team is required to allocate $107 million on player costs (not including benefits). The team salary cap in 2009 is $123 million.

Q: Are there individual player minimum salaries in the Final League Year?

A: Yes, but they rise at a rate somewhat slower than player minimum salaries rise in capped years.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
--In 2009, there is no June 1 rule for Signing Bonus acceleration. If a player is removed from the roster or his contract is assigned via waivers or trade at any time in the 2009 League Year, any unamortized signing bonus will be immediately included in Team Salary.
Yeah ... guess that means we should've cut Simmons three weeks ago.