Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Suddenly Getting the feeling

That we are cutting off a lot of dead weight. That is, a lot of players with "potential" that just never seems to live up to their full potential.

Washington: Potential to be a starting WR in this league and make an impact. Reality, just does not seem to really break out as THE go-to guy (granted, Ward and now Holmes are the same type of guys).

Simmons: Potential; LOTS of potential when he came into the league and played VERY well in teh beginning. BUt his diabetes and knee injury the following year really did a lot of damage to him apparently. He still has the potential to finally step it back up and play like he did his first couple years, but just hasn't done it.

Smith: Was THE DOMINATE LT in the league a few years ago. But the back problems have really hurt him.

B-Mac: Flashed VERY GOOD skills. But why couldn't he break into the line up against an aging veteran? Yes, he did this year after an injury. But he ran out of time. Now we have a very young Gay that can play almost as well as he can, just going into his 4th year.

Like I said, suddenly, I feel like we are getting rid of some dead weight from this team. Players that we were waiting for, or waiting to come back, and they never did.

I am getting even more excited about the future!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Suddenly Getting the feeling

The only problem I have is that Kemo and Starks are getting large and ridiculous contracts (respectively) because they have "potential", when at that point in your career, you shouldn't have much "potential" at all. You should have "mastery of your position," and if we offer you a sizable contract, it shouldn't be a gamble by now.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
B-Mac: Flashed VERY GOOD skills.
Also, I'm glad the trend of giving players a nickname based on the first letter of their first name and the first syllable of their last name never made it to Oakland A's pitcher Justin Duchscherer.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Phoenixus
Water Boy

Member Number: 8063

Well I think Washington will be a starter on another team and eventually prove to be a pretty good #2 reciever, I just don't think he's ever going to be the go to guy.

On another note, (about McFadden) I wouldnt undercut him that much.

Keep in mind, waaaayyy too many people underestimate just how good DeShay Townsend really is. While he is not a Hall of Famer, over the years he developed into an extremely experienced cover corner who could not be suckered in very easily. He may not have been the fastest or best, but he knew his game and played it well.

When you have someone that solid who's skill and effort level makes up for any physical abillity you end up with a guy like Ward. Townsend was the quiet version of Ward.

That's the real reason it took so long for McFadden to break in. It wasn't because of his lack of abillity, but rather because Townsend had become so good over the years it took some serious head skills to beat him out.
Phoenixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

BMAC is FAR from dead weight. He is gonna be a damn good starting corner for some other team which sucks.
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
The only problem I have is that Kemo and Starks are getting large and ridiculous contracts (respectively) because they have "potential", when at that point in your career, you shouldn't have much "potential" at all. You should have "mastery of your position," and if we offer you a sizable contract, it shouldn't be a gamble by now.
I've been thinking about Kemo's contract. First, this was his first year of starting. So he really shouldn't have mastery yet. I expect it to come towards the end of next year, beginning of the third year. You really need "time in place" to understand how to actually play at that level. Furthermore, his salary really ISN"T that much money comparatively. Heck, the cap is what again, 120 mill or something like that? He is going to take up what, 1 percent of the cap this year? Maybe 1.5 percent of the cap? No, that isn't a bad signing at all. It also gives us time to evaluate him to either cut, trade, or resign before the backloaded part of the salary hits the cap.

I keep saying the same thing about Starks. it is a good bandaid approach. We see what we can do in FA and in the draft. Then, we are stuck for ONE year paying a high salary. If we like him, we sign him long term. If we don't, we let him go. It gives us the opportunity to be flexible next year. It makes all the sense in the world when one take the long-view.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixus View Post
Well I think Washington will be a starter on another team and eventually prove to be a pretty good #2 reciever, I just don't think he's ever going to be the go to guy.

On another note, (about McFadden) I wouldnt undercut him that much.

Keep in mind, waaaayyy too many people underestimate just how good DeShay Townsend really is. While he is not a Hall of Famer, over the years he developed into an extremely experienced cover corner who could not be suckered in very easily. He may not have been the fastest or best, but he knew his game and played it well.

When you have someone that solid who's skill and effort level makes up for any physical abillity you end up with a guy like Ward. Townsend was the quiet version of Ward.

That's the real reason it took so long for McFadden to break in. It wasn't because of his lack of abillity, but rather because Townsend had become so good over the years it took some serious head skills to beat him out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lers View Post
BMAC is FAR from dead weight. He is gonna be a damn good starting corner for some other team which sucks

You both may be right.

Don't forget, I am talking within the context of THIS team, and with Gay coming up fast on him.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
You both may be right.

Don't forget, I am talking within the context of THIS team, and with Gay coming up fast on him.
This is what helps ease the pain. I know Gay is more than capable of filling in just fine. Will he be as good as BMAC, maybe maybe not. Keep in mind Gay still lacks experience which could potentially make him a dangerous CB.

Bottom line it sucks to lose BMAC, but i think it will probably be for the best.
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
They did not get their contracts because of "potential" and the contracts are not large. Kemo only has 6 mil guaranteed and starks is on a one year contract. They got their contracts because of continuity on the line at a great price for the Steelers. By doing this, this allows the Steelers to have enough money to spread around. A top notch guard would cost 8+ mil per, a top notch LT would cost 8 to 12. Now even though Starks is at 8 for 1 year, if he is signed long term, that number would go down to 6, and if not, he is off the books next year when free agents will really be a problem for the Steelers. So basically the Steelers are getting good lineman for half the price of the best in the league. You cant have top notch talent at every position in the salary cap area.

The issue late in the year wasn't pass protection. It was up the gut on run plays. Hopefully the signing of McHugh at full-time FB and Mendenhall coming back helps that area. And of course, with Hartwig more then likely having 2 years left, if the Steelers get an Alex Mack, their line situation is set. Besides the 1 yard or goal to goal run plays, stupid mistakes were what drove Steeler fans crazy. The false starts and holding calls at the worst time. Hopefully Tomlin can fix that issue in the off season.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

The Steelers org. are usually pretty smart when it comes to decisions like this for sure, but I would love to see Nate and B-Mac come back but I dont see it happening atleast not both of them. I am still befuzzled that the Steelers let Kendall Simmons go, just dont understand with all the sloppy play at that position at times this season.