Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Did the Ravens help us today?

Ok. Here is the info.

Quote:
Ravens agree to 4-year, $28M deal with Foxworth

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP)—The Baltimore Ravens have agreed to terms with former Atlanta Falcons cornerback Domonique Foxworth on a four-year, $28 million contract that includes $16.5 million in guaranteed money.
The former Maryland player drafted by the Denver Broncos in the third round of the 2005 NFL draft will be introduced at a press conference at the Ravens’ training complex Friday afternoon.
Foxworth was traded to the Falcons for a seventh-round draft pick last year.
The 5-foot-11, 180-pounder has 211 career tackles and four interceptions. Meanwhile, the Ravens have cut veteran defensive end Marques Douglas.
Earlier Friday, the Ravens lost free agent linebacker Bart Scott to the New York Jets.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

4 years, 28 Mill. 16.5 mill in guar. monies.

That breaks down to probably 4.5 mill the first year, up to probably 8.5 or so the last year in cap hit.

Now the question. Who is better, Foxworth or B-Mac? Fact is, Ravens seemed to skip right over B-Mac. So does he get a smaller contract than Foxworth?

If so, what could we offer him that he might accept? 5 years, 30 mill, 15 in guar. monies, backloaded? Make 10 of that a signing bonus for 2 mill a year cap hit, 20 mill split over 5 years in salary, 2.5 or so the first year and build to about 6 mill a year in 5 years, Even offer some achievement bonsus?

Seems the cap hit would be about 4.5 mill. That is still hurtful. But can it get done?

Like I said, I think the Foxworth signing may have just helped us.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338
Default Re: Did the Ravens help us today?

This may have helped the Steelers just like the Ravens letting LB's Bart Scott go to the Jets and letting Ray Lewis go as well would be just as sweet. The Cleveland Browns just traded away their best offensive weapon today, so that defintitely helps us as well. I just cant believe that the Bengals WR TJ Whosyourdaddy hasnt signed somewhere yet...
Old 02-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdave1969 View Post
This may have helped the Steelers just like the Ravens letting LB's Bart Scott go to the Jets and letting Ray Lewis go as well would be just as sweet. The Cleveland Browns just traded away their best offensive weapon today, so that defintitely helps us as well. I just cant believe that the Bengals WR TJ Whosyourdaddy hasnt signed somewhere yet...
I think we are seeing the effects of the economy in the FA period now.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
iceman000123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13147

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdave1969 View Post
All in know is... if we didn't have our division locked before we sure do now. I said earlier that I'm still interested in where T.J. is going my best guess is either with the G-Men or the Eagles
Old 02-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

I just added our signing to the "Running Cap" thread and it seems we are probably about 2.6 mill under the cap now.

So no, I think we have lost Washington AND B-Mac.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
If so, what could we offer him that he might accept? 5 years, 30 mill, 15 in guar. monies, backloaded? Make 10 of that a signing bonus for 2 mill a year cap hit, 20 mill split over 5 years in salary, 2.5 or so the first year and build to about 6 mill a year in 5 years, Even offer some achievement bonsus?
I don't think we could offer him that. We could if we hadn't just wasted $15 million in cap room giving raises to our same shitty offensive line, but now we can't. Especially if we want to keep Harrison, Holmes and Miller.

Actually, out of those three guys and McFadden, now it's looking like two of them probably have to go. See ya later James, sorry we blew all our money on retards.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I don't think we could offer him that. We could if we hadn't just wasted $15 million in cap room giving raises to our same shitty offensive line, but now we can't. Especially if we want to keep Harrison, Holmes and Miller.

Actually, out of those three guys and McFadden, now it's looking like two of them probably have to go. See ya later James, sorry we blew all our money on retards.
Oh goodness.

SERIOUSLY.

So who DO you replace Kemo with? At what price? he took a DISCOUNT to come back to the Steelers. He will get paid about average or just below the average LT of TWO YEARS AGO. Do you get a WORSE player to fill in for him, and at a higher price?

How about LT?
Quote:
Tackles

Franchised: Max Starks (Steelers, $8.451 million) became a starter because of injury last season and held down the crucial left tackle spot during Pittsburgh’s Super Bowl run.

Let the bidding begin: After some late signings and the tagging of Starks, the top free agent probably is versatile Stacy Andrews (Bengals), who is a gamble because he is recovering from a torn ACL. … Khalif Barnes (Jaguars) is only 26 and can play left tackle, but he’s not an elite pass blocker. … Donald Penn (Buccaneers) started all 16 games last season, is only 25 and is expected to receive the high restricted free agent tender.

The second tier: Both of Philadelphia’s veteran starters, Tra Thomas and Jon Runyan, are set to hit the market in their mid-30s. Runyan is coming off microfracture surgery. … Jon Stinchcomb (Saints) is a natural right tackle who has started 48 straight games. … Mark Tauscher (Packers) would have been headed to a payday had he not torn up his left knee in December. … Willie Colon (Steelers) is restricted.

On the street: Kwame Harris.
Do you want to risk the LT spot with ANY of them? And at what price? Starks is eating up 8 mill THIS YEAR. He signs a long term deal, and he eats up 3-5 mill. However, we don't have to go fishing, or trade VALUABE draft picks to move up for a desperation shot at LT in the draft.

I understand the frustration of what our line did.

But the availability of players, what they would cost, the hometown discount Kemo gave us, and the question marks surrounding LT makes me believe we have chosen the best possible road, sadly.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,632 Posts

I hope Starks only eats up $8mil for this season and we draft William Beatty to play LT in 2010.

I would gladly have parted with Starks and instead lived with Tra Thomas for maybe 2 seasons at much less money. Maybe then we could have afforded Jason Brown instead of Kemo.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

So no, I think we have lost Washington AND B-Mac.
Yeah, I would have rather lost Washington and Kemo.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Phoenixus
Water Boy

Member Number: 8063

Well honestly,

I hate to say this but... I think this is the first time I've ever seen the front office put the Steelers in cap jeopardy like this.

I am not so sure it's going to work out this time. But I also realize, they really are over a barrel on many things this time around.

Lets hope this works out.
Phoenixus is offline   Reply With Quote