Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Market for McFadden likely will determine whether he returns to Steelers

Market for McFadden likely will determine whether he returns to Steelers
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi022609.htm
By Mike Wilkening
Feb. 26, 2009

From all indications, the market for unrestricted free-agent CB Bryant McFadden likely will tell the tale on whether he will return to the Steelers. “He is a priority, but we know we can’t keep this whole team together,” Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “We understand that.” McFadden, 27, is regarded as one of the top players available at his position in free agency. McFadden, who has 18 career starts and seven interceptions in four NFL seasons, could hold appeal to teams favoring zone coverages.

Should McFadden depart, third-year CB William Gay is likely to step into the starting lineup, with dependable veteran Deshea Townsend as insurance. Gay started four games last season, all when McFadden was out of the lineup with a broken arm. In 16 regular-season games he notched 41 tackles, defended seven passes and made his first career interception.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Market for McFadden likely will determine whether he returns to Steelers[

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Market for McFadden likely will determine whether he returns to Steelers
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi022609.htm
By Mike Wilkening
Feb. 26, 2009

From all indications, the market for unrestricted free-agent CB Bryant McFadden likely will tell the tale on whether he will return to the Steelers. “He is a priority, but we know we can’t keep this whole team together,” Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “We understand that.” McFadden, 27, is regarded as one of the top players available at his position in free agency. McFadden, who has 18 career starts and seven interceptions in four NFL seasons, could hold appeal to teams favoring zone coverages.

Should McFadden depart, third-year CB William Gay is likely to step into the starting lineup, with dependable veteran Deshea Townsend as insurance. Gay started four games last season, all when McFadden was out of the lineup with a broken arm. In 16 regular-season games he notched 41 tackles, defended seven passes and made his first career interception.
I forgot about him starting.

Yeah, I am a lot more comfortable remembering that even. Heck, let McF go and pick up a guy in the draft.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: Market for McFadden likely will determine whether he returns to Steelers[

i thought that deshea started again when b-mac went down.. but at least gay has some starting exp

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:44 AM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Gay will be fine as a starter

and he could even develop as a better player in the end....

But they still need to draft at least one CB early to replace deshea. unless they sign miller or carr, which I doubt happens
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I would love to see the Steelers keep Bryant McFadden, but I really dont see it happening either. I think in the end that McFadden will end up somewhere that will suprise us all. A bad team, lots of money $$$$$
Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,722 Times in 1,573 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdave1969 View Post
I would love to see the Steelers keep Bryant McFadden, but I really dont see it happening either. I think in the end that McFadden will end up somewhere that will suprise us all. A bad team, lots of money $$$$$
Someone will overpay him it happens everytime.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

With Tomlin and LeBeau both being former DB coaches Gay should develop quite nicely. Hell he already as.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Someone will overpay him it happens everytime.
No question. If he doesn't go to a team who deliberately has a plan for him - he'll go to one of those teams that did nothing during free agency and need to put something together to look like they are doing something.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdave1969 View Post

what he said

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228

From what I remember, Gay didn't play that much last year. 41 tackles is impressive if he had as little play time as I remember. 7 deflected passes is nice too. Keep in mind Gay was covering the slot man, and we played some teams who had some pretty good guys in the slot. Usually high tackle numbers = bad CB (DeAngelo Fall, anyone?), but when playing slot it's not quite as cut-and-dry.
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote