Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12833
Default Haynesworth paid like Ben

Not sure this is the right forum for this, so please move if I made a mistake.

How is a DT equal in impact to a QB on a team. Yeah, I know defensive players have an impact on a game, but the QB can win or lose the game at any time. So, how can Big Al be worth as much as Big Ben??? I really don't get it. Just as you don't pay your star shortstop the same money as your star pitcher, you don't pay anyone on the football team the same or more than your star QB. Washington has set a bad precedent here.

Is Haynesworth worth $14M per year? Please help me on this one. I'm not seeing it.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,352 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Haynesworth paid like Ben

There is no way that Haynesworth is worth that kind of money,Snider is just being stupid the way he always is.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
There is no way that Haynesworth is worth that kind of money,Snider is just being stupid the way he always is.
No doubt that Haynesworth isn't worth it, and that Snyder's an idiot. However, they weren't alon in this race. If they hadn't paid it, he would have gone somewhere else for similar money.

The biggest PITA about this is the effect it could have on the Harrison negotiations.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesDad88 View Post
No doubt that Haynesworth isn't worth it, and that Snyder's an idiot. However, they weren't alon in this race. If they hadn't paid it, he would have gone somewhere else for similar money.

The biggest PITA about this is the effect it could have on the Harrison negotiations.
Agree completely. In fact, this Haynesworth deal may derail the Harrison negotiations. I can see the negotiations failing, and Harrison walking in 2010. From a Steelers perspective, it may work out better that way. The economic climate for defensive palyers may be less next year or James may have an average year. He would also be a year older, and slightly less marketable.. All those reasons would reduce his value somewhat from 2009 levels.

I like James a lot, but I don't want to overpay for him. If I'm Colbert, I might just roll the dice on Harrison, and let his contract ride til 2010, and hope we can re-sign him in a better climate. That frees up money to pay for other needs in 2009. Just a thought.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
How is a DT equal in impact to a QB on a team
depends on the team, DT and QB.

Quote:
but the QB can win or lose the game at any time
which makes it that much more risky to give a QB a huge contract. is he going to win for you or lose for you?

but i agree, the contract for haynesworth is absurd.

Quote:
I can see the negotiations failing, and Harrison walking in 2010
i am afraid that is what will happen. especially since the cowboys are going to give ware an absurd contract that will most likely eclipse haynesworth's.

get ready for 2010 and no salary cap. the steelers are really going to have to evaluate the team's talent with a microscope. remember though, there is no minimum wage either. special teams' players can be had for $30,000(example). i forget what the current minumum wage is now.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Default Re: Haynesworth paid like Ben - Harrison impact

[QUOTE=Steeldude;572103]depends on the team, DT and QB.

which makes it that much more risky to give a QB a huge contract. is he going to win for you or lose for you?

but i agree, the contract for haynesworth is absurd.

I agree, but Harrisson and Ben are on the same team. Can we give Harrison the same contract as Ben?? I believe the answer is NO. So, if he wants $14M, then we have no choice but to let him walk.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Haynesworth is an excellent DT but I think the Skins overpaid big time for him and in the process, screwed every other team presently in negotiations with their D players to get them signed long-term, just as Al Davis did.

I strongly believe the Steelers and Silverback will get a deal done eventually, but this latest development could really throw a curve ball into those negotiations.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I can see Ben restructuring his contract to keep Santonio. Would he do it to keep James?
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Haynesworth is an excellent DT but I think the Skins overpaid big time for him and in the process, screwed every other team presently in negotiations with their D players to get them signed long-term, just as Al Davis did.

I strongly believe the Steelers and Silverback will get a deal done eventually, but this latest development could really throw a curve ball into those negotiations.
This is exactly what I was thinking. This is just Washington being Washington, but now the rest of the teams have to live with their decisions.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

Don't worry - if Big Ben were available, Snyder would have paid him even more.