Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Did Chiefs rob Patriots with 34th pick?

Did Chiefs rob Patriots with 34th pick?
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0...4th-pick-.html
February 28, 2009 2:58 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

The 34th overall selection in this year's draft sure sounds like a bargain for the Kansas City Chiefs. That's all they gave the New England Patriots to obtain quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel.

Sound a little cheap to you?

About seven weeks ago, I explored Cassel's trade value with a pair of analysts who've been around the NFL block a time or two.

Floyd Reese was one of them. The former Tennessee Titans general manager was working for ESPN at the time.

Now he's senior football adviser with the Patriots, coming aboard when Scott Pioli left to accept the Chiefs' GM job.

Here's what Reese said back then: "It would have to be multiple choices and very high choices to get Cassel. Two first-rounders, or a one and a two and a three ... It'll be something very, very expensive."

Cassel hadn't been franchised yet, but it was common knowledge the tag was coming. So the element of unloading $14.65 million in guaranteed money was considered in the responses.

I also spoke with Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post.

Lombardi has a strong relationship with many in Patriots management, including coach Bill Belichick, from their days together with the Cleveland Browns. Lombardi was the first to report the Patriots were going to place the franchise tag on Cassel.

Lombardi claimed Cassel's starting price -- not including Vrabel -- should be the draft choices the San Diego Chargers received for Eli Manning.

At the 2004 draft, the New York Giants acquired Manning's rights for Philip Rivers' rights along with a third-round pick that year and their first- and fifth-round picks in 2005.

"Whatever the Giants gave up for Eli has to be the market," Lombardi said. "It's got to be a first-rounder, and not the 22nd or 24th pick in the draft. It has to be a substantial one and one that keeps on giving."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Did Chiefs rob Patriots with 34th pick?

I think the chiefs came out of this one smelling like a rose. They gave up a second round draft pick and got them a quarterback to build there team around.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

You could trade them the goldenboy before the blown knee and they would still suck.

KC hasn't made a good move since they hired Hank Stram. It will take years to recover from Herm (I can't coach to save my ass but I'm always good for a soundbite) Edwards.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I have been saying this since the story broke.

The Patriot hater in me would like to step back and laugh at the Pats for making such an obviously short-changed trade.

HOWEVER...

There is the SUSPICIOUS Patriot hater in me that doesnt trust the Chiefs GM Scott Pioli & the Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

Scott Pioli was the GM of the Patriots and Belichick the coach of the Patriots when the team was caught cheating by stealing/video-taping opposing teams defensive signals. They were also declaring players as "injured" instead of putting them on the practice squad but still using them in practice. This was done to keep other teams from grabbing them and still getting them reps to make them better.

Both are cheaters....proven cheaters.

So, I ask myself this...how big of an advantage would it be if two teams made a pact to show each other favoritism. If they excluded other teams from bargaining for players by promising each other "discounts" in regards to trades...inside information on players being placed on the waiver wire...etc. The two teams would have all the advantages of Free Agency while excluding the other teams from that same ability.

Right now I think..."Wow, the Chiefs got one heck of a deal"!! But I am going to keep my eyes open to any future trades or interactions between these two teams to see if the Patriots end up being the recipient of a lop-sided bargain regarding the Chiefs.

You know, to return the "favor"
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

I think the Chiefs made a good deal.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Not to mention the Chiefs got a solid veteran leader now on their defense to call the signals and teach by example. Not saying Vrabel is the best in the league at this point by any means, but he is going to help that defense in KC. Interesting trade to say the least.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

The Patriot hater in me would like to step back and laugh at the Pats for making such an obviously short-changed trade.

HOWEVER...

There is the SUSPICIOUS Patriot hater in me that doesnt trust the Chiefs GM Scott Pioli & the Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

Scott Pioli was the GM of the Patriots and Belichick the coach of the Patriots when the team was caught cheating by stealing/video-taping opposing teams defensive signals. They were also declaring players as "injured" instead of putting them on the practice squad but still using them in practice. This was done to keep other teams from grabbing them and still getting them reps to make them better.

So, I ask myself this...how big of an advantage would it be if two teams made a pact to show each other favoritism. If they excluded other teams from bargaining for players by promising each other "discounts" in regards to trades...inside information on players being placed on the waiver wire...etc. The two teams would have all the advantages of Free Agency while excluding the other teams from that same ability.

Right now I think..."Wow, the Chiefs got one heck of a deal"!! But I am going to keep my eyes open to any future trades or interactions between these two teams to see if the Patriots end up being the recipient of a lop-sided bargain regarding the Chiefs.

Good points, LLT. I certainly wouldn't put a little collusion past either of the parties involved. I'll be keeping my eyes on the Broncos from here on out as well for the same reason.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

I think it was a hey I know somethings about you give me something to shut up.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
I think it was a hey I know somethings about you give me something to shut up.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

HOWEVER...

im gertting the nudge nudge wink wink feeling! there is something goin on that we are not seeing. The whole cheating thing with players 8injured and taping i still think they got off way to damn easy. It should have been like the death penalty that SMU recieved in college. to me it was a slap and oh dont get caught next time please.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote