Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,446 Times in 1,628 Posts
Default Re: Giants steal DE Chris Canty from Dallas

I thought the NFL network said Canty got tagged. I guess they were wrong.

Nice pickup. I was really hoping we would let Starks and Kemo walk and be able to pickup Canty and a vet OT like Tra Thomas.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I thought the NFL network said Canty got tagged. I guess they were wrong.

Nice pickup. I was really hoping we would let Starks and Kemo walk and be able to pickup Canty and a vet OT like Tra Thomas.
From what I understand, Jerry is all but getting ready to give Ware a huge payday. With Snyder opening his wallet generously on Haynesworth, who knows? Ware may want to command the same pay...which is prolly why we let Canty walk.

Like I mentioned earlier, Canty isn't exactly a Ware/Merriman/Harrison game-changer, but he's going to be a significant loss for us, especially his run D. IOW-he's hardly a "system" player either ala Asante Samuel.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,446 Times in 1,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewman41 View Post
From what I understand, Jerry is all but getting ready to give Ware a huge payday. With Snyder opening his wallet generously on Haynesworth, who knows? Ware may want to command the same pay...which is prolly why we let Canty walk.

Like I mentioned earlier, Canty isn't exactly a Ware/Merriman/Harrison game-changer, but he's going to be a significant loss for us, especially his run D. IOW-he's hardly a "system" player either ala Asante Samuel.
Been wanting the Steelers for years to draft a young guy to play DE in the 3-4. Canty was a guy with some injury history that was a value in his draft year and I hoped we would draft him then. I was hoping we would right a wrong and get him in FA, but not at that pricetag.

Canty was a 4th round pick in 2005 (the 132nd pick) and the Steelers passed on him with the 131st pick and took............Fred Gibson, WR-Georgia. THOU SHALT NOT QUESTION THE FRONT OFFICE. (Kevin Colbert does a great job in the draft)
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

In my opinion this is the best move of free agency up to this point. I'm guessing they're going to move him inside with Umenyoria and Tuck already in place at end? That makes the most sense and seems like it would be an easy transition since he was in a 3-4. I've always liked Canty and thought he was one of the Cowboys best players, yet unfortunately not one that ever gets talked about. Good for him getting out of that circus and going back to his place of birth in New York. I'm looking forward to seeing that D-line the Giants have do some work.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

was he a Parcell's draft pick?

Wtf is Dallas doing? Oh wait, I forgot, I hope they fail.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #16
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
was he a Parcell's draft pick?

Wtf is Dallas doing? Oh wait, I forgot, I hope they fail.
Yep-like with Barber in the 2005 draft, he was as Parcells pick.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

it would seem jj is determined to get rid of all parcells picks so i am expecting to see barber in a dolphins uniform.(next year or the year after whenever his current contract is up )

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #18
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
In my opinion this is the best move of free agency up to this point. I'm guessing they're going to move him inside with Umenyoria and Tuck already in place at end? That makes the most sense and seems like it would be an easy transition since he was in a 3-4. I've always liked Canty and thought he was one of the Cowboys best players, yet unfortunately not one that ever gets talked about. Good for him getting out of that circus and going back to his place of birth in New York. I'm looking forward to seeing that D-line the Giants have do some work.
Yep-Canty is a DE, but he nonetheless commands a big body-6''7 and 300+ pds. When we traded Jason Ferguson to Miami, I was hoping Wade would move him inside and keep Ratliffe at his normal RDE position. Yes-Ratliffe had an outstanding 2 seasons at NT despite his bit of undersizeness, but at barely 300 pds and rather thin legs, he can wear down over the long haul.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #19
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
it would seem jj is determined to get rid of all parcells picks so i am expecting to see barber in a dolphins uniform.(next year or the year after whenever his current contract is up )
Kevin Burnett(2005 2nd rounder) is all but gone too-No, he's not exactly starter material b/c he's injury-prone, however-he's valuable on passing downs b/c he's by far our best coverage LB.(Surprise, surprise-Parcells offered him a contract in Miami)

But yeah-either we replace him in this year's draft, or I'll have to just cross my fingers hoping Cris Cooley, Kevin Boss, et al don't consistently keep catching passes in the middle of the field.