Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter
 
Steeler in Carolina's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 2,374
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1634
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Past draft picks

I love looking at past drafts and see how these "smart" GM's screw up so bad. Here are a couple of good examples:

2003 Drafted before Anquan Boldin are these fine WR's:
Charles Rogers, Bryant Johnson, Taylor Jacobs, and Bethel Johnson.

2001 Drafted before Reggie Wayne in the first round:
David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, Santana Moss,and Freddie Mitchell
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars
 
lilyoder6's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Playin' touch football, on marijuana street
Posts: 6,388
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2568
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Past draft picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina View Post
I love looking at past drafts and see how these "smart" GM's screw up so bad. Here are a couple of good examples:

2003 Drafted before Anquan Boldin are these fine WR's:
Charles Rogers, Bryant Johnson, Taylor Jacobs, and Bethel Johnson.

2001 Drafted before Reggie Wayne in the first round:
David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, Santana Moss,and Freddie Mitchell
johnson has been decent but no where near boldin... and on the reggie wayne ordeal.. i think that santana moss is even with wayne.. even tho the stats may not say so
__________________

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain
 
BrandonCarr39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 917
Member Number: 7458
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Past draft picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina View Post
I love looking at past drafts and see how these "smart" GM's screw up so bad. Here are a couple of good examples:

2003 Drafted before Anquan Boldin are these fine WR's:
Charles Rogers, Bryant Johnson, Taylor Jacobs, and Bethel Johnson.

2001 Drafted before Reggie Wayne in the first round:
David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, Santana Moss,and Freddie Mitchell
WR is one of the hardest, if not the hardest position to evaluate. People seem to forget that even they, like with QBs and RBs, have to learn how to read blitzes, and then run routes according to what they read from the D. Yes-they have to run proper and crisp routes, but learning to read D's takes time and experience as well.

As for Boldin-I wouldn't put him in the top tier...on talent and production alone, yes, but he IS injury prone.

As for Wayne-the Colts have proven time and time again they have one of the best FOs-remember once upon a time ago, everyone thought they would draft Ryan Leaf and Ricky Williams instead of Manning and James in those respective drafts. Otherwise, they would have continued to be the laughing stock of the league.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,091
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 860
Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,534 Posts
Default Re: Past draft picks

1998 receivers drafted ahead of hines ward.....
rd 1
Kevin dyson
Randy Moss
Marcus Nash
rd2
Jerome Pathon - colts

Jacquez Green
Patrick Johnson
Joe Jurevicius
rd3
Brian Alford
E. G. Green - colts
Jammi German
Larry Shannon
Hines Ward - last player taken in the 3rd rd....was the steelers 2nd 3rd rd pick

i guess 1 outta 3 ain't bad.....

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 03-01-2009 at 11:51 PM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter
 
devilsdancefloor's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, Indiana
Posts: 4,015
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10172
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Past draft picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
1998 receivers drafted ahead of hines ward.....
rd 1
Kevin dyson
Randy Moss
Marcus Nash
rd2
Jerome Pathon
Jacquez Green
Patrick Johnson
Joe Jurevicius
rd3
Brian Alford
E. G. Green
Jammi German
Larry Shannon
Hines Ward - last player taken in the 3rd rd....was the steelers 2nd 3rd rd pick
if i remember right his stock fell because they found out he didnt have a ACL But i am glad it did!
__________________
Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.


devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
Steelman16
Team President
 
Steelman16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,414
Member Number: 6517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Past draft picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
1998 receivers drafted ahead of hines ward.....
rd 1
Kevin dyson
Randy Moss
Marcus Nash
rd2
Jerome Pathon
Jacquez Green
Patrick Johnson
Joe Jurevicius
rd3
Brian Alford
E. G. Green
Jammi German
Larry Shannon
Hines Ward - last player taken in the 3rd rd....was the steelers 2nd 3rd rd pick
And out of those, only Randy Moss has a career anything like Ward. Dyson had his short stint, but he didn't last long. Jurevicius...well, if you end up with the Browns at the end of your career...it doesn't bode well.

Man, Hines Ward was a beautiful catch in round three.
__________________
I'll keep my freedoms, my guns, and my
money . . . you can keep "THE CHANGE."
Steelman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain
 
BrandonCarr39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 917
Member Number: 7458
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Past draft picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman16 View Post
And out of those, only Randy Moss has a career anything like Ward. Dyson had his short stint, but he didn't last long. Jurevicius...well, if you end up with the Browns at the end of your career...it doesn't bode well.

Man, Hines Ward was a beautiful catch in round three.
FYI-you should have seen Mike Ditka's drafts with the Saints from 97-98...I mean he botched ALMOST EVERY single round, and just about every single round in these 2 years produced at least a few impact players, some of whom are still playing.

No-not trying to imply that Ditka botched the Saints' chances to become a dynasty, but OTOH, when you look back and reflect, he really had a golden opportunity to build a very competitive team for years to come.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend
 
KeiselPower99's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkersburg West Virginia
Posts: 3,583
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8552
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Past draft picks

It aint so much the guy cant play but the team he goes to.
__________________
]
KeiselPower99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,091
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 860
Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,534 Posts
Default Re: Past draft picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewman41 View Post
FYI-you should have seen Mike Ditka's drafts with the Saints from 97-98...I mean he botched ALMOST EVERY single round, and just about every single round in these 2 years produced at least a few impact players, some of whom are still playing.

No-not trying to imply that Ditka botched the Saints' chances to become a dynasty, but OTOH, when you look back and reflect, he really had a golden opportunity to build a very competitive team for years to come.
1999
Rnd Name College Note
1 Ricky Williams Texas

1998
Rnd Name College Note
1 Kyle Turley San Diego State
2 Cameron Cleeland Washington
4 Fred Weary Florida
4 Julian Pittman Florida State
5 Wilmont Perry Livingstone College
6 Chris Bordano Southern Methodist
7 Andy McCullough Tennessee
7 Ron Warner Kansas

1997
Rnd Name College Note
1 Chris Naeole Colorado
2 Rob Kelly Ohio State
2 Jared Tomich Nebraska
3 Troy Davis Iowa State
4 Danny Wuerffel Florida
4 Keith Poole Arizona State
6 Nicky Savoie Louisiana State
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #10
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain
 
BrandonCarr39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 917
Member Number: 7458
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Past draft picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
1999
Rnd Name College Note
1 Ricky Williams Texas

1998
Rnd Name College Note
1 Kyle Turley San Diego State
2 Cameron Cleeland Washington
4 Fred Weary Florida
4 Julian Pittman Florida State
5 Wilmont Perry Livingstone College
6 Chris Bordano Southern Methodist
7 Andy McCullough Tennessee
7 Ron Warner Kansas

1997
Rnd Name College Note
1 Chris Naeole Colorado
2 Rob Kelly Ohio State
2 Jared Tomich Nebraska
3 Troy Davis Iowa State
4 Danny Wuerffel Florida
4 Keith Poole Arizona State
6 Nicky Savoie Louisiana State
Was re-reading my post again...just to clarify on a pt I wasn't clear about-the 1997 draft, in particular, produced alot of impact players(i.e. Corey Dillon in the 2nd among many) in this league, some of whom are still playing at a high level.

I know you can't 2nd guess what any of these FOs do, but it was clear the game had passed Ditka by.

BTW-the Redskins had a golden opportunity to build a dynasty with all those draft picks the Saints gave them for Ricky Williams on a silver platter, but somehow, Snyder blew it.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts