Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ravens set sights on Steelers' tackle Smith

Ravens set sights on Steelers' tackle Smith
By AARON WILSON Landmark News Service
Published 03/02/09
http://www.hometownannapolis.com/new...kle-Smith.html

OWINGS MILLS - The Baltimore Ravens are scheduled to resume exploratory talks with Pittsburgh Steelers free agent offensive tackle Marvel Smith today.

Smith, a former Pro Bowl selection, missed the final 11 games of the regular season as well as the entire postseason with a recurring disc injury.

Smith, 30, and his representatives are confident that his back problems are behind him and that he can pass an NFL physical. Smith, who has started 108 career games since his rookie year in 2000, is also drawing interest from the Oakland Raiders.

"I'm doing everything possible to deal with the situation I'm in," Smith said in a radio interview prior to the start of free agency. "This will be my 10th year, and it's obvious what I can do on the field. I can do anything they want me to do and going through this situation, I hope, will be a benefit to me as a player."

If the Ravens were to sign Smith, it could affect the roster status of veteran offensive tackle Willie Anderson.

Anderson is entering the second year of a three-year, $11 million contract. The four-time Pro Bowl selection is due a $3.5 million base salary in 2009.

"We talked to Ozzie Newsome about Willie coming back and we definitely expect him to be there and be the starter," said Terry Bolar, Anderson's agent. "He's working hard and preparing to be in the best condition. He's really happy up there.

The Ravens haven't spoken recently with the agent for cornerback Samari Rolle, who's on the trading block and could possibly be released after the signing of former University of Maryland cornerback Domonique Foxworth to a four-year, $27.2 million deal that included $16.5 million in guaranteed money.

Rolle, who would like to be released, is due a $4.1 million base salary in 2009.

After being cut by the Ravens on Friday, veteran defensive end Marques Douglas is drawing interest from the San Francisco 49ers, New York Jets and Denver Broncos.

A potential return to Baltimore for the former Howard University player hasn't been ruled out.

Shortly after the season, the Ravens re-signed defensive end Dwan Edwards for the 2009 season with a $1 million base salary and a $400,000 signing bonus. The Ravens also recently signed restricted free agent defensive tackle Brandon McKinney to a three-year contract worth nearly $4 million.

Meanwhile, the Ray Lewis watch continues.

Since the All-Pro middle linebacker doesn't have the leverage of competing offers as other NFL teams are signing inside linebackers at a rapid pace and haven't been inclined to bid on Lewis, he's expected to return to Baltimore.

Whether Lewis will accept the Ravens' three-year, $24 million contract proposal that includes $17 million in guaranteed money or a different offer remains to be seen.

The Ravens arguably could lower the contract offer, but it would probably be counterproductive in terms of team chemistry since it would infuriate an already frustrated veteran player.

"I'm sure Ray's a little disappointed because he's a proud guy and he knows he can play at a high level," former NFL defensive tackle Mike Golic, an ESPN radio personality, said in a telephone interview Sunday. "He's still an excellent player. Is he what he was in his prime? No, but his intangibles and leadership are still excellent. Is something off the fastball? A little bit, sure.

"When you're that long in the league, that's going to happen. In these times, the younger players will get the money. I think that sounds like a good offer from Baltimore. If nobody else is clamoring for him now in the first couple of days of free agency, it's not going to happen. I know he's prideful, but there's prideful and then there's reality."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886
Default Re: Ravens set sights on Steelers' tackle Smith

ohhhh man! this won't end well! haha!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post

Meanwhile, the Ray Lewis watch continues.

Since the All-Pro middle linebacker doesn't have the leverage of competing offers as other NFL teams are signing inside linebackers at a rapid pace and haven't been inclined to bid on Lewis, he's expected to return to Baltimore.

The Ravens arguably could lower the contract offer, but it would probably be counterproductive in terms of team chemistry since it would infuriate an already frustrated veteran player.

"I'm sure Ray's a little disappointed ........."
I really was hoping to see him leave Baltimore, but.....

Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Looks like they've lost interest in Marvel. Probably after they gave him a physical.

http://blog.theredzone.org

"It appears as if the Ravens' interest in Marvel Smith has cooled.

The Ravens had exploratory talks with the free-agent offensive tackle over the weekend but didn't contact him yesterday. Smith, 30, the longtime left tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers, missed the final 11 games last season with a disc injury."
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
iceman000123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13147

Well the way I see it. Ravens can keep Lewis or get rid of him either way we've been able to trump them thrice last season. Maybe they were all close games but you don't get lucky against a team 3 times in a row. Of course unless their receiver drops a wide open endzone pass the last second of the game. Than that changed everything.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Flacco will feel the pain.

That is all.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
If the Ravens were to sign Smith, it could affect the roster status of veteran offensive tackle Willie Anderson.

Anderson is entering the second year of a three-year, $11 million contract. The four-time Pro Bowl selection is due a $3.5 million base salary in 2009.
Well, that would've been nice. Remember everyone who was asking who we could've gotten for less money than Starks? For that matter, can you cut a guy after he's been franchised?

Well, not like it matters, since it looks like this isn't going to happen. But one can always dream.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...27&postcount=3

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote