Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992
Default What do past champions say?

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...p_credentials/

this isnt from me, its from players who have been there
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts
Default Re: What do past champions say?

i get a kick out of the talk about their consecutive playoff win streak. too bad they couldnt do it in CONSECUTIVE years like all the other great teams.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i get a kick out of the talk about their consecutive playoff win streak. too bad they couldnt do it in CONSECUTIVE years like all the other great teams.

you mean like all the playoff games Green
Bay won in 1963 and 1964? or that Pittsburgh did in 1977? c'mon, thats reaching.

9 straight is 9 straight. and whattya know, if they win the SB this year..Im not a real smart man, but i do believe that would be 4 out of 5 years! I do believe the media will point out that 4 out of 5 tops 4 out of 6. No wonder Steeler fans DREAD the Patriots winning it this year.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
you mean like all the playoff games Green
Bay won in 1963 and 1964? or that Pittsburgh did in 1977? c'mon, thats reaching.

9 straight is 9 straight. and whattya know, if they win the SB this year..Im not a real smart man, but i do believe that would be 4 out of 5 years! I do believe the media will point out that 4 out of 5 tops 4 out of 6. No wonder Steeler fans DREAD the Patriots winning it this year.
steelerfans dont like any other team going to 4 superbowls let alone winning them. but no media headline will ever take away from the steelers dynasty of the 70's. the term was invented for them. its nice to go out and get a rodney harrison or a corey dillon to keep a streak alive huh? but then again all the coaches like c. noll, vince lombardi and bill walsh were to stupid to figure out how to manage a cap or pluck players off of free agency, so i will give belichick and the pats organization that.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
3 to be 4
Team Owner

it all balnces out, all the advantages and disadvantages.
look, i dont compare the Patriots to the 70's Steelers. Jerry Kramer is right, i said this on a far inferior Steeler fan site after the Patriots beat Pittsburgh earlier this season, the Patriots are more like the Packer dynasty. the Steelers were the best ever. The Packers the most magical. the 80's 49ers and 90's Cowboys were of the Steelers talent based variety of greatness. teams like the 60's Packers and 60's Celtics stand as almost mythical creations, forging their legend on more than talent. the Patriots have been like that. They will NEVER equal the 70's Steelers. But they have passed the 90's Cowboys and 70's Dolphins on teamwork, guttiness, and character.
#1 70's Steelers
#2 80's 49ers
#3 60's Packers
#4 00's Patriots
Old 01-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
it all balnces out, all the advantages and disadvantages.
look, i dont compare the Patriots to the 70's Steelers. Jerry Kramer is right, i said this on a far inferior Steeler fan site after the Patriots beat Pittsburgh earlier this season, the Patriots are more like the Packer dynasty. the Steelers were the best ever. The Packers the most magical. the 80's 49ers and 90's Cowboys were of the Steelers talent based variety of greatness. teams like the 60's Packers and 60's Celtics stand as almost mythical creations, forging their legend on more than talent. the Patriots have been like that. They will NEVER equal the 70's Steelers. But they have passed the 90's Cowboys and 70's Dolphins on teamwork, guttiness, and character.
#1 70's Steelers
#2 80's 49ers
#3 60's Packers
#4 00's Patriots
i hate the argument that its much harder to build a dynasty today. like you said all the advantages and disadvantages ballance out. sure its hard to manage the cap. but in the olden days teams didnt have 14+ assistant coaches and capologists either. i like your placement of the 4 teams above the cowboys. they have always had cokeheads to assist their play (hollywood henderson playing in a sb with a vial of coke in his pants is pretty disgraceful. parcells looking the other way when lt was coked up is too.) although the giants werent a dynasty i think you get my point. i look at the steelers dynasty stretching from 72-84 sandwiched in between 2 afcc game losses to the shula led dolphins. i count the 49ers dynasty at 4 sb rings. their last one was far removed from the players and coach of the 1st one. deion sanders was part of a dynasty? i think not.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
3 to be 4
Team Owner

having watched my videos of the 94 NFC championship game and SB 30 recently made me feel a lot better about the placement of the Patriots over them. the Patriots at their peak with Brady smoke that 1995 Cowboy team and i think 1994 for sure. The Cowboys were loaded with talent but after 5 years people are starting to give credit to the talent the Patriots have had, especially on defense. Seymour, Bruschi,Harrison,Vrabel,McGinest, Law,Milloy, Washington..these guys werent a bunch of no name slouches. they knew how to play the game. the Patriots during their 21 game winning streak peak match the the best the 90's Cowboys, and their brains and character put them over the top. I really dont think that Cowboy team DESTROYS the Colts and then goes into Pittsburgh and wins 41-27. (41-20 before a late garbage time TD)
Old 01-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844

Whatever the outcome of tonight's Jags/Pats tilt, it's been a great few years for the chowds.

If they run the table, it would be tough not to put New England right with, or even above, the Steelers teams of the '70's. Maybe not in overall players (the awesom Dwayne Washington aside), but organizationally what Pioli and Bellichik will have done is really amazing.

I really hate the Patriots but I respect the heck out of them. To tell you the truth, I'm rooting for a Jags win. Not to preserve the age-yellowed memories of Steelers teams which dominated a decade I was barely a part of, but just to make sure that the most battle-tested team in the post-season isn't around to spoil Pittsburgh's party, if they can get to the point of having one, this season. Nobody wants to play at Gillette in January. Well, nobody but the defending Super Bowl Champions, that is.
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
3 to be 4
Team Owner

the best compliment ive seen is a website, i think its called anybodybutthePatriots.com
its for the fans of the other 31 teams to vent.
I mean, as a fan who remembers when they were the worst franchise in football, the Plunkett years, Ron Erhardt, Victor Kiam and the Lisa Olson incident, etc etc, its still unbelievable to me they have gotten to this point.
id love to hear from Steeler fans who remember pre-1972 and what it felt like to become a dynssty after all that. Did you shake your head around 1978 and say "how did this all happen?"
Old 01-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I just hope the pats win! So we can play them again. I`m all for keeping this rivalry going. Good Clean Fun!