Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #11
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: litp- thoughts on matt jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
who will cover this guy? are the patriots concerned about the height most jags receivers bring to the table? i think jones could be in for a career day and be the x-factor if the jags have any thought o f success. even more than fred taylor
Hey Tony - excuse my tardiness - I have been forced to return to work the last couple of days!

Ok - the Jags recievers certainly hold a height advantage over the Patriots secondary - and there is not much we can do in the actual secondary to offset that.

What the Pats will be relying on his getting pressure on the Jags QB and getting it early - im reasonably certain that Leftwich can be panicked into throwing the ball up for grabs if he think his WR's have a better than average chance of coming down with the ball.

I dont think we will see too much physical play at the line by the Pats DB's as they will come off 2nd best in most physical confrontations - they will most likely play fairly soft and will often be in a zone rather than man-2-man.

What I believe they will is utilise the game plan against the Rams from the SB - play soft and keep the game in front of themselves - but then take the opportunity to lay some big hits on the WR's.

The Jags are a team of physical monsters - id be willing to bet they outsize most teams in the league - however this doesn't ever seem to result in them running up huge scores (apart from the last 2 weeks against poor opposition).

Leftwich has to be rusty if he starts and accuracy will surely be the order of the day - after a terrible start to the season the DB division of NE, whilst not anywhere near elite, has shown improved confidence - Hobbs and Samuel have shown decent ball-hawking skills in recent weeks.

I dont think the Jags can live with the Pats in a shootout but they will be looking to make it a defensive grind 9-6 or similar.

Matt Jones is a similar player to our very own Ben Watson (TE) he has the pure physical stats to cause massive mismatches all across the field but , like Matt Jones, needs to work on route running and seperation.

In short, we struggled with our DB all last year due to injuries but BB schemed a way around it - this year is just the same - now we have a relatively settled DB division we can start working on some schemes to confuse the opposition instead of ourselves.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

i think pats win this by 3 or less probably on late vinatieri heroics. i dont think the jags should play how they normaly do (conservative, run first, 9-6) game. im thinking they should try what has seemed to work for the steelers this season and thats go up top early and use the pass to set up the run. i would like the jags #s if they had 180 yds passing and 30 yds rushing going into half with a very close score. i think they need to try and isolate some wr on bruschi or even w/ f. taylor and try to pop his calf or wear him out. (nothing mean, just make sure he can play). since the jags have pretty much lost the game before they enter the stadium i like the sound of throwing the ball deep and often, and work on down to the shorter routes and finally the running game. i would take atleast 2 shots downfield with j. smith in the 1st 2 drives. they should expext leftwich to get hit but not let that force them into trying to open things up with the running game. this will play into the pats hands and really let them know when they are gonna pass. think the pats secondary will play real disciplined and more confident in known passing situations. i wouldnt mind seeing the jags pull a trick out of the pats book and run alot of 4 wr sets. i think it will work and why not. after all theyre gonna lose anyways. especially if they play like theyre relying on fred taylor to win the game.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #13
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I look for the Pats to win by a TD! The Jags don`t impress me much!
Old 01-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #14
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i think pats win this by 3 or less probably on late vinatieri heroics. i dont think the jags should play how they normaly do (conservative, run first, 9-6) game. im thinking they should try what has seemed to work for the steelers this season and thats go up top early and use the pass to set up the run. i would like the jags #s if they had 180 yds passing and 30 yds rushing going into half with a very close score. i think they need to try and isolate some wr on bruschi or even w/ f. taylor and try to pop his calf or wear him out. (nothing mean, just make sure he can play). since the jags have pretty much lost the game before they enter the stadium i like the sound of throwing the ball deep and often, and work on down to the shorter routes and finally the running game. i would take atleast 2 shots downfield with j. smith in the 1st 2 drives. they should expext leftwich to get hit but not let that force them into trying to open things up with the running game. this will play into the pats hands and really let them know when they are gonna pass. think the pats secondary will play real disciplined and more confident in known passing situations. i wouldnt mind seeing the jags pull a trick out of the pats book and run alot of 4 wr sets. i think it will work and why not. after all theyre gonna lose anyways. especially if they play like theyre relying on fred taylor to win the game.
You want $10 on 3 points or less - Pats win? Ill take the over.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #15
Brady12
Team Captain

Member Number: 973

I look for the PAts to win by 25! Oh wait i'm a little late..
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote