Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Scott's deal could impact Harrison

Scott's deal could impact Harrison
Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker
March 3, 2009 11:00 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/...-Harrison.html

You can bet that Bart Scott's six-year, $48 million deal with the Jets will come up during negotiations over James Harrison's contract with the Steelers.

Perhaps it would have been better for the Pittsburgh Steelers to reach an agreement with outside linebacker James Harrison before free agency.

The type of money thrown around last weekend likely raised a lot of eyebrows in the respective camps of Harrison and the Pittsburgh Steelers. As of last week, the two sides remained far apart in negotiations.

Former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Bart Scott got a $48 million contract over six years from the New York Jets, an average of $8 million per year. This particular deal could be a major factor in Pittsburgh's ongoing talks with its Pro Bowl linebacker.

Scott's deal likely raised the bar for Harrison, who put up better numbers than his former AFC North counterpart and was the NFL's defensive player of the year in 2008. They both play linebacker in a 3-4 defense, so they're very comparable.

Would the Steelers be willing to go at or above $50 million to keep Harrison for six years? That remains to be seen as Pittsburgh rarely dishes out that kind of money. Perhaps providing a shorter contract (three or four years?) at the same average salary could be a middle ground.

Or would Harrison take a hometown discount to get a deal done and stay with the defending Super Bowl champions long term? That's an interesting option as well. But either way Harrison has to be looking at Scott's deal right now and feeling like he deserves market value.

As both sides continue their back-and-forth, expect Scott's name to come up quite a bit in these negotiations.

What is Harrison worth?

Former Ravens linebacker Bart Scott just signed a lucrative deal with the Jets, which impacts Pittsburgh's James Harrison.

Harrison Scott
Pittsburgh Steelers New York Jets
30 Age 28
5 years Experience 7 years
2 Pro Bowls 1
101 tackles, 16 sacks 2008 stats 82 tackles, 1.5 sacks
??? Contract Six years, $48 million

Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, 09 free agency, AFC North, James Harrison, Bart Scott, New York Jets

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts
Default Re: Scott's deal could impact Harrison

Guys, 6 year 48 million isn't what Bart Scott will get paid. NFL contracts are the biggest smoke screens in sports. I think he is only guaranteed 20-25 mil of that contract.

James will likely get a 5 year 40 mil contract with 25 mil guaranteed. The difference is, Harrison will get all 40 mil if he is productive all 5 years. Cant say that about most of the teams out there that pay big cash.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
joefootball
Water Boy

Member Number: 12247

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post

James will likely get a 5 year 40 mil contract with 25 mil guaranteed.

no way he accepts that offer...
joefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefootball View Post
Gotta pay attention to the guaranteed money part. I do not believe anyone out there would pay him more then 25 mil guaranteed. And if Harrison is productive for 5 years, he would earn the rest.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
That sounds pretty fair to me.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
I want to keep him happy, but let's face it -- the Steelers have all the leverage. He's under contract next year, we franchise him in 2010 and he's a FA in 2011 at 34 years old. No team is giving big contracts to 34 year old LBs. This won't be crazy money when he signs and there may be hard feelings (ala Hines Ward), but it'll get done.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysteel View Post
I want to keep him happy, but let's face it -- the Steelers have all the leverage. He's under contract next year, we franchise him in 2010 and he's a FA in 2011 at 34 years old. No team is giving big contracts to 34 year old LBs. This won't be crazy money when he signs and there may be hard feelings (ala Hines Ward), but it'll get done.
And he threatens with a holdout and we just plug in the next in line. Dont be surprised if the Steelers draft a Linebacker within the 4-6th round.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

I say Harrison signs before Training camp and if does not the Steelers are very good and finding someone to fill in that linebacker spot. I am not worried! I really like Harrison but I also understand that this is also a business.

If the Steelers are so cheap as others say why is that we always have very little cap room and other teams have more cap room. Is it because the Steeler have more guaranteed money in their contracts which makes their deals better even though other contracts look bigger on paper?

I was just curious.

Last edited by scsteeler; 03-04-2009 at 09:54 AM.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsteeler View Post
I say Harrison signs before Training camp and if does not the Steelers are very good and finding someone to fill in that linebacker spot. I am not worried! I really like Harrison but I also understand that this is also a business.

If the Steelers are so cheap as others say why is that we always have very little cap room and other teams have more cap room. Is is because the Steeler have more guaranteed money in their contracts which makes their deals better even though other contracts look bigger on paper?

I was just curious.
I say its because we pay good money for 53 players that can play when asked to rather than paying gagilliions to 3 players and pray to god that the rest of the players put up an effort knowing the man next to him will pay his bills off in one check when the other one has to do it in a month.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

if harrison would hold out.. then he would just have the luxury of staying home and paying fines for not showing up... then he will have no contract money to spend

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote