Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
Default Jarron Gilbert

Interesting Prospect I hadn't considered before for our draft position considering how popular OL players could be. This is from NFL.COM....Sounds like an athlete according to the player description....Anybody seen the video it talks about? Pretty impressive

32. Steelers Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose State Jarron Gilbert
A 3-4, five-technique player is on the Steelers' shopping list, and at 6-foot-5, 288 pounds and with 4.8 speed, Gilbert has all the measurables. Look him up on YouTube, and watch him jump out of a swimmimg pool in three feet of water straight onto the deck without using his hands to push off.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910
Default Re: Jarron Gilbert

I'm guessing he would play OLB for us? Replacing Harrison after this coming season?
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Sounds tempting, except boy, does San Jose State suck.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Gilbert would replace Keisel in 2010. The guy is a DE and some regard him as the 2nd best 3-4 DE next to Tyson Jackson. (personally I think he is better than Jackson)

Jarron Gilbert/DL/San Jose State: Gilbert measured 6-feet-5, 288 pounds then ran his 40s in swift times of 4.8-seconds. He looked very athletic in drills and displayed the skills necessary to be used as a defensive tackle or two-gap end. Gilbert also completed 28 reps on the bench press. It's not a mind-boggling total but rather impressive when one considers Gilbert's arms measure just a fraction under 37 inches.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

link to youtube vid.......anybody else wanna try this and see how easy it is?

truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I always hate to grade players ability by weight, but I have to wonder if at a "college" 6-5 288 he might need a bit more than one year to work into the starting line-up.( I say college 6-5 288 because, even with the workout programs in colleges these days, usually your average NFL player is still better conditioned and stronger at what his position requires than his college counterpart with similar physical attributes) I know Keisel is only listed at 6-5 and 285, but I think that was his weight when he was playing special teams. I'm thinking that Brett is closer to the mid 290's these days. No matter how good you are at beating the offensive linemen in front of you, if you can't hold the point aginst a double team .......... Brett also has the luxury of playing on a line with both"Big Snack" and Aaron Smith. Gilbert might not have two linemates who must draw double teams to be blocked.

Of course, if Gilbert can play, I'd be fine with him taking a few years to work into the starting line-up. I wonder when the last time the Steelers went for a defensive end (not NT) in the first (or even the second) round(s)? Most of the time our defensive ends are guys other teams have passed on. Smith was a 4th rounder and Keisel a 7th rounder - both of whom you'd have to say exceeded expectaions.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 03-04-2009 at 01:26 PM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
Interesting Prospect I hadn't considered before for our draft position considering how popular OL players could be. This is from NFL.COM....Sounds like an athlete according to the player description....Anybody seen the video it talks about? Pretty impressive

32. Steelers Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose State Jarron Gilbert
A 3-4, five-technique player is on the Steelers' shopping list, and at 6-foot-5, 288 pounds and with 4.8 speed, Gilbert has all the measurables. Look him up on YouTube, and watch him jump out of a swimmimg pool in three feet of water straight onto the deck without using his hands to push off.
Aren't the DEs in our system more 3 and 4 technique players?
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Gilbert is this years small school player that moved up boards, very much like Kendall Langford of Hampton did last year (Miami Dolphins pick). Steve Mariucci said that he coached Gilberts father in college.

Langford was 6'5", 287lbs and benched 24 reps with a 31 inch vertical and a 4.97 -40

Gilbert was 6'5", 288.bs and benched 28 reps, with a 35.5 inch vertical and a 4.8-40.

Gilbert would be a guy that can play a 2-gap DE like Keisel, but is much faster and more explosive to chase down plays and rush the passer. I would not mind him at all.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRobinson View Post
Aren't the DEs in our system more 3 and 4 technique players?
Not sure if you are joking or not..........but a "3-technique" is what the NFL refers to DT's in a 4-3 defense. The "5-technique" is what they refer to a DE in a 3-4(like Smith or Keisel)
Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

he proved to be arguably the most dominant presence at the East-West Shrine Game. The question for scouts now isn't whether Gilbert can play, but at which position to utilize his unique combination of size and athletic ability.

The son of former New Orleans Saints' offensive tackle Daren Gilbert, Jarron has incredible athleticism for his size and could be just scratching the surface of his potential.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...lbert?id=79559