Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Is it possible that Sweed was drafted to potentially replace Holmes?

Before you jump down my throat, hear me out on this one. I agree that Holmes is now our best deep threat, play maker, etc...but...

We have a lot of folks to resign in the next 2 years.

Holmes, Super Bowl hero or not, has been in trouble in the recent past and could pose a threat if given a lot of $$$$.

Hines still has 3 or 4 good years left as a #2 and will probably be easer to resign.

I realize that Holmes won't be free until after the 2010 season, but the Steelers will probably try to extend him next year...about the same time they are trying to extend other very important parts of their roster.

This is a huge year for Sweed and the Steelers to see what they have in him with potentially far reaching ramifications.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Is it possible that Sweed was drafted to potentially replace Holmes?

Could've been. If Holmes demands $12 million a year for his contract extension, then have fun on the Raiders, and that's who Sweed will replace. If not, he'll replace Hines once he gets too old.

Of course, all this is assuming Sweed doesn't turn out to suck. Or that he doesn't become too good and start demanding the $12 million himself.

Yeah, I guess wide receiver is one of those positions where you have to keep drafting people every couple of years.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216
Default Re: Is it possible that Sweed was drafted to potentially replace Holmes?

Or was drafted to replace Ward whos contract expires after next season.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
fordfan485
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7210

Or it could have been he was the best player available at that spot in the draft, and after the 07 season, nate had a drop filled year and we had just cut cedric "wife beater" wilson and need a capable 3rd WR
fordfan485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Carolina Steelers
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 3009

I been also thinking about this. I think Ward will sign for a few more years to retire a Steeler, but Ward and other players are a dying breed. If Holmes has a great season this year comin up The Steelers will offer a reasonable contract but I could easily see him jump ship for more money. I like what Holmes did in the Post Season with out him there would be no 6 Championships but, his antics need to be toned down. I dont mind players having a good time but I hope this post season doesnt go to his head he still got a lot to prove.
Carolina Steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan485 View Post
Or it could have been he was the best player available at that spot in the draft, and after the 07 season, nate had a drop filled year and we had just cut cedric "wife beater" wilson and need a capable 3rd WR

Ding! Give the man a Cigar! BPA has been our modus operandus for a while now, unless we have an aching need and there's a prospect for that position available, even if we have to trade up for. In recent years, I think we've had three targeted draft picks: Ben, Troy, and Miller.

So, unless there's somebody that knocks your socks off in the draft and you can get them, then go with BPA, and use free agency to fill the gaps.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
Kvnfaber
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6695

There is no way that replacing Holmes was the motivation behind drafting Sweed. They simply drafted him because of his potential and athleticism packed into that big body. I'm sure all the talk about a big WR in the off-season didn't hurt either.

I think the front office is always thinking future, however in this case, they were just looking for a playmaker with size, period. If there is even discussion about Sweed being on Holmes' level then I think we all will be rejoicing.

As for Holmes, you are a hero to Steeler Nation, just stay out of trouble!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

When guys like Laverneous Coles get 4 years for $28 Million, you wonder what on earth Holmes will want when we open up negotiations after next season. One solid 75/1300 season would knock him above what Coles got. I'm not sure the Steelers would do that.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan485 View Post
I am inclined to go with this assessment. Sweed was the best player out there and getting a quality Wide Receiver is always a plus and the Steelers have a knack for having starters in waiting in which I think helps this team stay so competitive every year.

Sweed should be much better this year especially catching the ball when he is wide open.

Nate had some of the same issues that Sweed has his rookie season and look at how he finally improved. Look at the Quality receivers that start or have started for other teams that were groomed by the Steelers. Of course some turn out to be like Burris.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
WitchKing701
Water Boy

Member Number: 13190

Depth at receiver is a must in the NFL, what with age and injuries taking their annual toll. I don't think the Steelers will see WR as a need in this year's draft. They may pick up a receiver they like in the later rounds, but I'd frankly be surprised if they weren't looking at OL and DL in the first couple of rounds.

I've seen some mock drafts suggesting we need to pick a safety in the early rounds as well, because Clark will demand big money when his contract is up (I think next year). That could be so as well.

I think the FO is in a good position. Other than some competitive/depth needs at OL, they can look to what they need after '09/'10 season in terms of drafting for expected departures now rather than waiting.
WitchKing701 is offline   Reply With Quote