Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #101
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220
Default Re: Penn State Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Maybe if they double in size and absorb the SEC...I mean, they already have like 30 teams in there (I'm exaggerating, but not THAT much) and they are still largely a second-tier football conference.

Cracks me up when people constantly predict the demise of the Big Ten. These things are cyclical, and they are just going through a little downward trend.
I put the SEC at #1, Big 12 at #2 then at this point the ACC and Big 10 are about neck and neck.

I always swore Big 10 was #1. I don't think so anymore. OSU is the class and will stay there. Michigan is down but will get better. Just not good enough to go over the top (I hope i'm wrong tho.) PSU, just not that good IMHO (We saw last year when they were destroyed by one of the class teams in the NCAA). All the others are just going through cyclical periods.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #102
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Last year it was SEC and Big 12, then Pac 10 and Big Ten...ACC was 5th...and that was good year for the ACC. Big East and C-USA are on the same level of the ACC, but they DID have an exceptionally good year in 2008 having 4 teams in the top 25. By way of comparison, the Big ten had a bad year, and THEY still had 4 teams in the top 25. It's just not even a close comparison....I mean there was even a Big 10/ACC match-up in the bowls last year, and it was Atlantic co-champs FSU (arguably playing the best football of anyone at the end of the season in the ACC) against bottom-of-the-barrel Wisconsin who fell apart after the lost that close game to OSU.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #103
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
I hate Penn State because they do not recruit the best from their home state.
You have to rely on more then just your home state to win. Pennsylvania has great athletes, but other states do as well.

Quote:
I put the SEC at #1, Big 12 at #2 then at this point the ACC and Big 10 are about neck and neck.

I always swore Big 10 was #1. I don't think so anymore. OSU is the class and will stay there. Michigan is down but will get better. Just not good enough to go over the top (I hope i'm wrong tho.) PSU, just not that good IMHO (We saw last year when they were destroyed by one of the class teams in the NCAA). All the others are just going through cyclical periods.
Thing is though Davey, Penn State who might go through a reloading year this year(depends on how the losses affect them) is still projected to win the Big Ten(according to some magazines such as Phil Steele) or if not win, be in competition with the Buckeyes for the Big Ten title AND have been projected to go to a BCS Bowl by a large chunk of the projections that I have seen. Now I am not going to say that Penn State is in the class of USC, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. They still have to work to do, but are well on their way to becoming a member of that class.

Penn State was only destroyed for 1/2 of that game. It stinks that it took them to the 2nd Half to figure out something that matched up well against a USC defense. Claim all you want that USC was being nice, they weren't as much as people want to say that. If they were, Penn State would have won that game scoring 70 points. But USC Wasn't and only gave up 24. A guy like Pete Carroll wants to win, but at the same time he possibly gave away a chance for USC to win the AP title.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #104
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Last year it was SEC and Big 12, then Pac 10 and Big Ten...ACC was 5th...and that was good year for the ACC. Big East and C-USA are on the same level of the ACC, but they DID have an exceptionally good year in 2008 having 4 teams in the top 25.
Big East is on the same level as Sun Belt and the like Conferences. There is maybe 1 or 2 good teams out of that conference per year as of late. The departure of Virginia Tech, Miami, and Boston College has pretty much made that conference a joke.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #105
revefsreleets
Living Legend

That's just my point. The ACC used to be ONLY FSU...now a few teams can compete, but THAT actually kind of levels the field in the conference. They simply aren't much of a football conference from top-to-bottom.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #106
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote:
Maybe if they double in size and absorb the SEC...I mean, they already have like 30 teams in there (I'm exaggerating, but not THAT much) and they are still largely a second-tier football conference.
ACC - 12 ...only 1 more than the big 10, or should that be the big 11 ?
Big 12 - 12
SEC - 12
C- USA - 12
MAC -13

There's 120 teams in DV 1A , in 12 conferences. ... personally i'd like to see the conferences realigned, and maybe use an NFL type of format with just 4 big conferences of 30 teams ( maybe like east,mideast,midwest,west ), with 5 or 6 team regional divisions in each conference, to create better rivalries. then make scheduling / playoff system from there.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 07-14-2009 at 04:43 AM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #107
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Boston College

Clemson

Duke

Florida State

Georgia Tech

Maryland
Miami

North Carolina

NC State

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Wake Forest

Lot of great basketball teams on that list...a couple former glories in football.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #108
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Pac 10 is better than the ACC
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #109
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
PSU, just not that good IMHO (We saw last year when they were destroyed by one of the class teams in the NCAA).
yet PSU is still clearly better than any ACC team

weak arguments
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #110
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Penn State was only destroyed for 1/2 of that game. It stinks that it took them to the 2nd Half to figure out something that matched up well against a USC defense. Claim all you want that USC was being nice, they weren't as much as people want to say that. If they were, Penn State would have won that game scoring 70 points. But USC Wasn't and only gave up 24. A guy like Pete Carroll wants to win, but at the same time he possibly gave away a chance for USC to win the AP title.
I would say they were destroyed for 3/4of it and it was the important 3/4. USC laid down a bit and PSU got two garbage time TD's which made it look respectable. USC
s fault, yes. But still made PSU look a little more to their fand like they belonged there. They weren't nearly as close to USC as that final.