Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #221
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Re: Penn State Football Thread

Television: The contest will be televised by ESPN to national audience with Carter Blackburn and Chris Spielman calling the action.

The Nittany Lions are appearing on television for the 186th time in their last 188 games.

RADIO: Penn State Sports Network (60 stations) Radio Team (10th year)
Play-by-Play: Steve Jones; Analysis: Jack Ham Web stream: www.GoPSUsports.com Michigan Sports Network (Frank Beckmann, playby- play; Jim Brandstatter, analysis; Doug Karsch, sideline). Touchdown Radio (Roxy Bernstein, Gino Torretta, Jon Bloom). XM Radio 196; Sirius 122.

Coaches:

Joe Paterno
Penn State Record: 390-128-3 (75.1), 44th Year
Overall Record: Same
vs. Northwestern 9-3
60th year on Penn State staff...all-time leader in career wins among FBS (1-A) coaches...300 wins faster than any coach in NCAA history...College Football Hall of Fame inductee in 2007.

Pat Fitzgerald
Northwestern Record: 24-21, 4th Year
Overall Record: Same
vs. Penn State: 0-1

The Series:
The Nittany Lions and Wildcats are meeting for the 13th time, with Penn State leading the series, 9-3. The teams are meeting for the first time since 2006 and the first time in Evanston since the Nittany Lions' dramatic win in 2005.

Trap Game?

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #222
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I worry about that simply because of the fact that the team is coming off of a Big Win over a Big Rival. If they just go out and play tough against Northwestern and don't let up start to finish, Penn State should win this game.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #223
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14838

Hopefully they wont be looking ahead to OSU with the leadership they have I dont think that will be a problem. I can see Northwestern pumped for this game. I have not heard if we will see stephfon green this week Beechum didnt look bad when he came in to give Royster a blow. Hopefully Sean Lee's leg is getting better cause with him, Navorro and Hull in the game our backers In my opinion are the best in the Big Ten.

Last edited by psusteelers4life; 10-28-2009 at 01:46 AM.
psusteelers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #224
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusteelers4life View Post
Hopefully they wont be looking ahead to OSU.
That was my concern, but I don't think Paterno will allow that.
Hopefully, message received.

Penn State's Paterno giving Northwestern lots of respect
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State and Northwestern previously played three years ago, but coach Joe Paterno is well aware of the Wildcats. The Nittany Lions' past five games in Evanston, Ill., have been decided by an average of 6.4 points.

No. 12 Penn State (7-1, 3-1 Big Ten) will play Northwestern (5-3, 2-2) Saturday at Ryan Field, where the Lions have produced heart-stopping finishes.

"I'm a little prejudice, but Northwestern's got a bunch of kids I really like, and I really like [Pat] Fitzgerald," Paterno said yesterday. "I think he's a heck of a coach. I don't know a lot of his staff, but their kids play college football the way you like to see it played.

"They play every down. And they're tough and smart and they adjust well, and we're going to have a tough football game on our hands."

Four years ago at Northwestern, the Lions overcame a 16-point first-half deficit to beat the Wildcats, 34-29, to remain unbeaten at 4-0. Quarterback Michael Robinson converted a fourth-and-15 on the winning drive, then tossed a 36-yard touchdown pass to Derrick Williams with 51 seconds left.

In 2003, running back Noah Herron ran for 180 yards and Northwestern scored all its points in the fourth quarter of a 17-7 victory.

In '01, backup quarterback Zack Mills threw a 4-yard touchdown pass to running back Eric McCoo with 22 seconds remaining, carrying Penn State to a 38-35 win as Paterno tied Paul "Bear" Bryant's Division I-A record of 323 coaching victories.

After the game, the right wheels on the team's plane went off the runway at Chicago's Midway Airport, got stuck in the mud and couldn't be dislodged, so the Lions had to return home the following day.

In 1997, Penn State nearly blew a 17-point lead in the final 3:33 at Ryan Field but held on to claim a 30-27 victory. In '95, the Wildcats coasted to a 21-10 win.

Northwestern has won just as many Big Ten championships as Penn State (three) since the Lions joined the conference 16 years ago. Fitzgerald was an All-American linebacker on the Northwestern teams in the mid-'90s that won back-to-back Big Ten titles. Penn State linebackers coach Ron Vanderlinden was the defensive coordinator for the Wildcats then and gave Fitzgerald his first coaching job as a graduate assistant when Vanderlinden was the coach at Maryland in 1998.

"There's a lot that I owe to him," said Fitzgerald, who replaced Randy Walker as Northwestern coach in 2006 after Walker died of a heart attack.

Paterno's Lions have been on a roll since losing to Iowa, 21-10, late last month. They have won their past four games, outscoring their opponents, 142-30.

"I don't know where we thought we'd be," he said. "I was hoping we'd be pretty good. I think we're getting to be pretty good. I'm certainly not unhappy with where we are. But we still have a ways to go. There's some things we're not doing well. Obviously, the [two] blocked punts [this season] bothered me. We wasted some opportunities."

Paterno, who gave his team off Monday, said the Lions are as healthy as they have been all year, although backup tailback Stephfon Green could miss his second consecutive game with an ankle injury.

Paterno said Nerraw McCormack's ankle is better now and that he would battle starter Ako Poti for the job at right tackle. Paterno also said DeOn'tae Pannell has been moved to left tackle until his ankle is better.

"We'll keep Pannell over on the left because it's a little easier with that left ankle bumped up for him to push off his right foot when he has to pass protect on the left side," Paterno said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES -- Free safety Nick Sukay, from Greensburg Central Catholic High School, has started every game this season. He has 29 tackles, five pass breakups, an interception and a fumble recovery. ... Paterno said wide receiver Graham Zug, a walk-on who had three touchdown catches against Michigan, "has been given a lot more opportunities because people are scared to death of [Derek] Moye and [Chaz] Powell. ... [Zug] certainly has come through for us. He's a good football player. I like Zug for a lot of reasons."

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #225
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This sounds almost exactly, and I mean TO THE WORD, like what Tressel said about Purdue before the Bucks went out and lost to them.

I don't mean to say PSU will lose to NW. They won't. But coaches all say this type of thing, and it really comes down to the players themselves. OSU losing to Purdue will keep PSU frosty a lot more than anything Joe Pa has to say....
Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #226
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

It was good to see them fight back against Northwestern. They stacked the box a lot . they exposed the defense a little today on the spread the same O that the buckeyes run. hopefully they get back on track in practice this week.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:51 PM   #227
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I'll take this win. Northwestern played Penn State tough and Penn State responded VERY well. Now they're going to have make sure they battle from start to finish next week against Ohio State or it could be ugly. The O may not be as great as some may expect it to be, but that D is insane.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #228
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I'll take this win. Northwestern played Penn State tough and Penn State responded VERY well. Now they're going to have make sure they battle from start to finish next week against Ohio State or it could be ugly. The O may not be as great as some may expect it to be, but that D is insane.

I give Penn State credit for righting the ship after halftime. Unfortunately, this win will not help them much in the BCS. Every team above them in the BCS won (many convincingly, Oregon) except for USC and Alabama (on a bye and could fall to 3rd). So I figure Penn State moves to number 11 this week .
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #229
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The key to this game, IMO is OSU's D line versus PSU's O line. Also, and very much in PSU's favor considering the fact that this will almost certainly be a low scoring game is that OSU's PK Aaron Pettrey was carted off the field last week in what looked to me like a very serious injury. His replacement, Jr. Devin Barclay looked very iffy, hitting a 19 yarder, but missing kicks of 47 and 36.

Back when I thought Pryor was a legit college QB, and he was progressing every week, I'd have said that OSU wins by 10-14 points, but now? Given his new propensity for making costly turnovers at the worst of times, which could leave PSU with a short field to work with, and the shaky FG kicking, I could easily see this being another one of those 13-10 OSU/PSU games, and I have no idea who'll win. One thing I DO know...this is the best OSU defense since the 2002 NC team.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #230
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

This game will be a slugfest no doubt about it. I was at the game the last time OSU came into beaver stadium and they spanked us on primetime. I'm not sure whats gonna happen. Hopefully its not gonna be another Iowa game. Guess we will find out at 330 on saturday afternoon. One thing that does worry me is the Spread they run like Northwestern. The game last week might have been another story if their Qb didnt go down with a hammy pull . With Jack crawford being new to the D end if he stands his ground and doesnt bite on the fake handoff / read Pryor does we should be ok. Last week he bit a couple times and it bit us. Thats to be expected being pretty much new to football hell it happens in all points of the game from pee wee to NFL . I think he will be a good D end with some more time, he has shown a lot of promise this year. anyhow Lets Go LIONS!!

Last edited by psusteelers4life; 11-03-2009 at 11:47 PM.