Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #271
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14838
Default Re: Penn State Football Thread

PSU ranked #14 now, We go into Mich St. and win then see where we are going bowling, This team could have been much more this season but thats the way it is i'll take 10-2 rather than 2-10 any day and getting to watch them play someone in a bowl we normally wouldn't play. Hopefully Powell will be back from his shoulder injury he suffered on Sat but Curtis Drake filled in nicely for being a true freshmen. Beechum is def out. And I think A.J Wallace had a concussion so who knows if he will be cut loose.

I should say this 12-0 sure would be better though
psusteelers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #272
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusteelers4life View Post
Beechum is def out. And I think A.J Wallace had a concussion so who knows if he will be cut loose.
Beachum to Miss Remainder of Season With Knee Injury

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; - Penn State running back Brandon Beachum (Youngstown, Ohio) will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a serious knee injury in Saturday's 31-20 victory over Indiana.

A sophomore, Beachum tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during Penn State's kickoff return to begin the second half, according to Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli, Penn State Director of Athletic Medicine. Beachum will have surgery within the next two weeks and rehabilitation will take a minimum of nine months, according to Sebastianelli.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #273
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

I feel bad for the kid the knee injuries hit the team again. I dont know if it was a rumor or not but I heard that Jerome Hayes may ask the NCAA for a sixth season I dont now if any of you heard the same.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #274
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

excerpt from Joe Paterno News Conference

Q. Joe, what is Chaz Powell's status for Saturday?

Powell I doubt will make it. In fact, we're not really counting on him for this week.

Q. What is the status of A.J. Wallace? How does the absence of Beachum affect your team?

Well, Beachum is obviously a big one. He was a kid that played on special teams as well as played fullback, tailback, a great kid on the practice field. A.J. may play, so I'm not going to get into that. But they're different types. Beachum is all over the place for you. Anything you ask him to do, he does well. A.J. is a little different. A.J., we've asked him to cover kicks, he's done a decent job on that. He's played a decent corner. So, he's a good football player who probably could be better than he performs. But Beachum is one of those guys; he's a coach's player.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #275
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

Thanks for the info! looks like we will see Drake a little more this weekend. I just picked up FSN pittsburgh on my direct tv so now I can dvr Paterno's press conference little late I know. Sucks livin in southern md you have to get sunday ticket and center ice just to watch the Steelers and Pens, atleast I have been able to see every PSU game something I was afraid I might miss some games thank god I have not.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #276
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

Good win yesterday, it took us awhile to get warmed up like it has almost all year but we settled and played well. Now we sit back and see where we are goin bowling. I saw somethig today about Tom Bradley already pounding the dirt on recruiting trips.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #277
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

So I'm looking at the rankings and everything, and I see that Iowa is ranked 2 spots higher than PSU in the BCS standings. The Big Ten has an at-large bid open, and one of the BCS bowls absolutely will use it to pick either Penn State or Iowa. I've seen scenarios with Iowa playing Boise in the Fiesta, or Iowa playing the ACC Champion in the Orange.

My question is, why would the BCS select Iowa over PSU? They don't HAVE to pick them just because they are ranked higher. Iowa is a nice program, but they lack the marquee value that a PSU has, plus the Hawkeyes faithful are unlikely to travel as well for a bowl game like that. It's about A) Putting butts in seats and B) TV ratings. PSU will deliver better on both fronts.

What's the word from PSU insiders on this?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #278
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

You are on about both your points of the butts in seats and tv viewers for PSU. I have seen a stat that showed the last 2 of 3 bowl games Iowa was in the tv ratings for it was down 20 % for what the average is. PSU is ranked 6th in the country for viewers watching them when on tv. Ohio state is 8th while ND is 7th. There was word that a rep from the Orange bowl was our game at Mich St last weekend and he was quoted as saying" they like Penn State a lot we love everything about the university". If we go to the Orange for that matter whovever goes to the it they will probably play Georgia tech. From what I have heard though Iowa has the best chance of going to the Fiesta and facing Ok St. in turn we will go to the Capital One bowl and play either Ole Miss or lsu someone like that. The reason most likely that Iowa could be picked over PSU is the head to head they won during the season and they have the BCS ranking over us thats it. We fans travel well and we have an old ornery coach that the big whigs would prob like to see in a major bowl again. I would love to see us in a BCS bowl but its up in the air where we go. Its all about the $$$$$$$$
Old 11-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #279
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I think you are referring to this...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06004/632446-134.stm

Note that this is from 2006, and was based on the previous 5 years...OSU had two Outback Bowl appearances, and the writer adds the Bucks would have been top 5 otherwise. I'd also think that having added the most watched College football game in ESPN's history (and last years match-up was probably pretty heavily viewed as well) helps...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...d=200909120033

Anyway, enough tooting my Bucks horn again. How would OK St end up in the Fiesta?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #280
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

If i'm not mistaken if Texas makes the NC game then Ok St. has a better chance to play in the Fiesta because even though its Nebraska playing for the big 12 championship they are not ranked. Ok. St. is 12 in the BCS and would be the Fiesta big 12 pick for the bowl Thats my thinking on it.