Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #281
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Re: Penn State Football Thread

Odrick Selected AFCA All-American
Standout Defensive Tackle Is Penn State's 94th First Team All-America Selection

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; - Senior defensive tackle Jared Odrick (Lebanon) has become Penn State's 94th first team All-America selection.

The standout was selected to the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) All-America Team, the first All-America squad to be announced for the 2009 campaign. The AFCA, which chooses one team, has selected an All-America team annually since 1945.

The 2009 Big Ten Defensive Player and Defensive Lineman of the Year, Odrick is the 80th Penn State football student-athlete to earn first team All-America recognition, a total of 94 times, dating back to W.T. (Mother) Dunn's selection to the Walter Camp All-America squad in 1906.

Odrick is the Nittany Lions' 77th first team All-American under Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno. Penn State has had at least one All-American in 39 of his 44 years as head coach, with eight first team All-America selections in the past five seasons.

Odrick is Penn State's sixth defensive lineman to earn first team All-America honors in the past 10 years, joining Courtney Brown, Michael Haynes, Jimmy Kennedy, Tamba Hali and Aaron Maybin.

"This is a great honor," stated Odrick, who is one of two Big Ten players on the AFCA team. "There are a lot of great D-linemen across the country, so I'm flattered to receive this award. I think this honor speaks about the play of our defense as a whole all season. I'm privileged to be joining some of the great Penn State defensive linemen who have been All-Americans."

A relentless and tenacious leader for Penn State's stalwart defense, Odrick is a three-year starter who has been double teamed by every opponent throughout the season. He is ranked No. 8 in the Big Ten with 6.0 sacks for minus-45 yards. Odrick is fifth on the team with 41 tackles, has 10.0 tackles for loss (minus-56 yards), with one blocked field goal, one pass break-up and three quarterback hurries.

The former Lebanon High School All-American has been instrumental in the Nittany Lions earning Top 10 national rankings in five of the six primary defensive statistical categories. The Lions also lead the nation in Red Zone defense (65.4 pct., 17 of 26).

According to the latest NCAA statistics, the Nittany Lions are No. 4 nationally in scoring defense (11.8 ppg), No. 8 in total defense (277.0 ypg), No. 10 in rushing defense (93.9 ypg and No. 19 in pass defense (183.2 ypg). Penn State also is No. 7 in tackles for losses per game (99, 8.25 avg.) and No. 8 in sacks (35, 2.9 avg.).

Penn State leads the Big Ten in scoring defense, tackles for loss and sacks, is second in rushing and total defense and third in pass defense. Eight opponents scored 14 points or less on the Lions this season.

Odrick has helped Penn State to not allow a 100-yard rusher in its last 15 games, the nation's third-longest streak. Seven Nittany Lion opponents have gained less than 100 rushing yards this season.

Penn State (10-2) concluded its regular season with a convincing 42-14 victory at Michigan State, posting Paterno's Football Bowl Subdivision record 21st season with at least 10 victories.

The No. 11 (BCS) Nittany Lions are 50-13 (79.3) since the start of the 2005 season, the nation's No. 8 winning percentage over that span. Penn State is awaiting the destination and opponent for its 36th bowl game under Paterno, who is the all-time leader in post-season appearances and victories (23-11-1 record).

The final BCS standings will be announced on Sunday, Dec. 6 at 8:00 p.m. on Fox and all bowl selections will be announced by 8:30 p.m

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #282
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14838

Congrats to JO, He might go in the early rounds of the draft but if not he could be a good fit for the replacement of big C Hampton if he is available I know that sounds like a homer bein a psu fan and all but he is a fast agile big man... look at how many tackles Josh Hull had with him in the middle at DT. He was double teamed a lot this year and he can take up some space. just my thoughts cant wait to see where we are bowlin !!!!!
psusteelers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #283
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

He has earned it beyond all belief. Odrick has had one heck of a work ethic on the field this year, but also off of the field. He represents PSU well. Thankfully we have a bowl game with him to go.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #284
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

No surprises here that the Lions are heading to Orlando for the Capital One Bowl against LSU. That was the appropriate Match Up.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #285
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

That'll be a good match-up...GO BIG TEN!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #286
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

It will be a good matchup, I am fired up about this game. i'm glad we are not playing the outback bowl so I can atleast try to get a hold on my hangover i'll have till the 1 o'clock game starts
Old 12-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #287
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Outback is at 11 AM, isn't it? That is VERY early on New Years Day....I remember very little of my Outback experience due to the vicious hangover...

I'm going to have to look at it some more, but LSU has a very strong defense. The teams are a good match, but I think LSU defense is >>>PSU offense, and PSU defense is = LSU offense. They'll be able to slow the Tigers scoring, but I'm not sure how many points the Lions will be able to hang on LSU.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #288
psusteelers4life
Draft Prospect

Yes they do have a very good defense I think they were ranked 15th in the nation in total defense. They have a very good punt return. The other hand I have heard they are ranked 107th in the nation for sacks allowed as well as their top three RB's are out for the season. They are ranked in the 80's or 90's in Offense. They do have very good receivers. I think our D will play well and hopefully they do not come out flat like in the Rose last year.

It will be nice to see how our offense plays against an SEC defense and the SEC speed as they say. I look for a low scoring game . I wish all the Big Ten well in the bowls. You are correct in the Outback bowl start time it is 11am.

LETS GO LIONS
Old 12-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #289
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09343/1019480-143.stm

Penn State's Clark named Big Ten co-MVP
Wednesday, December 09, 2009
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. --- Penn State quarterback Daryll Clark was named co-winner of the Big Ten Conference's MVP award late Tuesday night.

Clark, a senior from Youngstown, Ohio, shared the Chicago Tribune's Silver Football honor with Michigan defensive end Brandon Graham.

It is the first time there have been co-winners since the award was first presented in 1924.

Clark, named the Nittany Lions' MVP Sunday night, is a two-time first team All-Big Ten honoree. He joins former Penn State quarterbacks Kerry Collins (1994) and Michael Robinson (2005) as Silver Football recipients.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #290
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Penn State: Lions, Big Ten have something to prove
Saturday, December 12, 2009
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Half of Penn State's 12 opponents will be playing in bowl games, but the Nittany Lions still haven't beaten a ranked team all season.

They will get one last shot New Year's Day when the No. 11 Nittany Lions (10-2) face No. 13 LSU (9-3) in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando, Fla.

"You don't want to be ranked in the Top 25 without having beaten anyone else in the Top 25," wide receiver Derek Moye said at a pre-bowl news conference yesterday.

Penn State was 0-1 against ranked teams this year, while LSU was 1-2. The Lions, who lost to then-No. 15 Ohio State, 24-7, and unranked Iowa, 21-10, at home, believe they must beat LSU to validate their season.

"It's kind of a theme we've taken," outside linebacker Sean Lee said. "We have something to prove no matter what.

"We're kind of taking this bowl game as a big challenge and seeing it as a huge game for us. That's going to be our main motivating factor, beating a great program"

Quarterback Daryll Clark, named co-MVP of the Big Ten Conference earlier this week, said the players are excited about playing LSU after having their BCS bubble burst Sunday when the Orange Bowl chose the Hawkeyes over the Lions.

"Obviously, I was hoping that we would get into a BCS [game]," he said. "But we found out we were playing LSU, a big-time SEC team. We were excited about it because we definitely wanted to play a tough football game against a tough football team."

The Lions have won three of their past four postseason games. But the Big Ten hasn't been nearly as fortunate. The conference finished 1-6 a year ago and hasn't had a winning bowl season since 2002. The Lions were among last season's losing teams, falling to Southern California, 38-24, in the Rose Bowl.

"I sure hope the Big Ten can do a lot better than 1-6," center Stefen Wisniewski said. "I'd like to see us end up with a winning record. I'm definitely getting tired of hearing people say the Big Ten isn't any good."

Meanwhile, coach Joe Paterno's race with Florida State's Bobby Bowden will officially be over soon. Paterno, the winningest coach in Division I-A history with 393 career wins, said he talked to Bowden (388 victories) before his recent announcement to step down after the Gator Bowl.

"Bobby has done a fantastic job for Florida State," Paterno said. "What happened there, I don't have all the ins and the outs. I think it's disappointing to see a colleague that you respect and admire and appreciate the job he's done, to be in the middle of all this turmoil."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09346...#ixzz0b0SuokCs